CD-Rs

ghost of miles

Single layer-Taiyo Yuden premium. $30 per 100 discs shipped is a good price

Dual layer-Verbatim- generally $1.25 per disc is a good price shipped I think.

IMHO, duals have a higher failure rate but I've had no coasters with Verbatim.

I don't think TY makes a dual layer product.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I discovered that one of my favorite Billy Harper discs (Soran Bushi B.H.) stopped playing in *all* of my players. It was a cdr packaged pretty much like an actual cd -- though the lack of notes, label and look of the playing surface gave it away. As memory serves, I bought the disc sometime 'round '95. Being pretty disappointed, I googled on "cdr lifespan" and came across some interesting information, the most valuable describing a cdr marketed by a British firm (Hispace Gold) that is guaranteed for 100 years. The cdr's for music transfer are aesthetically designed to mimic LP's, and are only slightly more expensive than other high-grade cdr's.

Last week I discovered that one of my favorite Billy Harper discs (Soran Bushi B.H.) stopped playing in *all* of my players. It was a cdr packaged pretty much like an actual cd -- though the lack of notes, label and look of the playing surface gave it away. As memory serves, I bought the disc sometime 'round '95. Being pretty disappointed, I googled on "cdr lifespan" and came across some interesting information, the most valuable describing a cdr marketed by a British firm (Hispace Gold) that is guaranteed for 100 years. The cdr's for music transfer are aesthetically designed to mimic LP's, and are only slightly more expensive than other high-grade cdr's.

I have come across some of the earliest CDRs (borrowed and they were brands that aren't around anymore) that sound like static on many players yet I was able to extract the music and burn it on a new disc and it sounded fine. It's worth a shot, though I don't want to raise your expectations too high.

My Rotel 1055 won't recognize TDKs or Memorex CDRs. Seems to accept everything else I try, including T-Ys. My other CD players will accept the TDKs and Memorex CDRs. The TDKs were on sale for $15 per hundred & I bough 4 spindles. Oh well . . .

If you're into techno-bling, they make great pendants. With 400, you can have an interesting ceiling. I recommend the book, 1001 Things To Do With Your Kenny G CDs. I know it's content specific, but I have found that most of the suggestions can readily be applied to Diane Schuur and Wynton Marsalis discs.

cd-1.jpg

cdArt1.jpg

Guitar.jpg

If you're into techno-bling, they make great pendants. With 400, you can have an interesting ceiling. I recommend the book, 1001 Things To Do With Your Kenny G CDs. I know it's content specific, but I have found that most of the suggestions can readily be applied to Diane Schuur and Wynton Marsalis discs.

cd-1.jpg

cdArt1.jpg

Guitar.jpg

I've got a number of WM discs that I use as coasters in the living room.