sidemen on sonny stitt argo dates

slide_advantage_redoux

This is my first post, so if this topic has been discussed earlier, please excuse the duplication!

I recently got a Sonny Stitt LP ("Move on Over" on Argo) and there is no mention of sidemen on the date. Does anyone here have any knowledge of who would be on the date with him?

It is a great LP, but I just want to know more about it.

Thanks in advance

What about the rhythm section on the excellent 1958 Stitt Argo date ("Propapagoon," "This Is Always," etc.). issued with no liner notes (cover art on both sides) and reissued on CD in 1990 on MCA? The notes say its "possibly" Barry Harris, William Austin, and Frank Gant, but no way that's Barry Harris. I've always felt that. believe it or not, it's the Ramsey Lewis Trio (Lewis, El Dee Young, Redd Holt)--Young's distinctive bass playing being the giveaway.

Have always being puzzled by the lack of accompanying musicians information on quite a number of Sonny Stitt albums.

Most of the Roost/Roulette albums did not list any personnel and the sidemen's identitied remained a mystery until Mosaic researched the personnel and provided informations. Same went for Argo albums.

Even some Sitt albums on Verve fail to provide the names of the musicians. 'The Sensual Sound of Sonny Stitt with the Ralph Burns Orchestra' and the 'Previously Unreleased Recordings' Sonny Stitt albums do not list any sidemen. And some of the musicians are among the best. The 'Unreleased Recordings' album - a Stitt Plays Duke LP - has uncredited Lou Levy, Paul Chambers and Stan Levey behind Stitt.

Was the omission of accompanying musicians deliberate? Stitt's decision? The producers?

What confuses me a bit is that I coincidentally happened to run across a copy of the originally mentioned album "Move On Over" yesterday and it DID have all the personnel right on the sleeve, in the bottom right hand corner. I recall the mention of Gerald Donavan - I think that's how it was spelled.

Perhaps there are different issues of the same title that include or don't include the personnel?

Mike

• 1 year later...

What about the rhythm section on the excellent 1958 Stitt Argo date ("Propapagoon," "This Is Always," etc.). issued with no liner notes (cover art on both sides)  and reissued on CD in 1990 on MCA? The notes say its "possibly" Barry Harris, William Austin, and Frank Gant, but no way that's Barry Harris. I've always felt that. believe it or not, it's the Ramsey Lewis Trio (Lewis, El Dee Young, Redd Holt)--Young's distinctive bass playing being the giveaway.

I know I'm getting to this thread WAY late, but just wanted to say that my guess would be Junior Mance as the pianist on the aforementioned Stitt session. Makes me want to hear it again to see.

• 2 weeks later...