Kidd Jordan, William Parker and Hamid Drake

relyles

One thing I have learned is that very often so called avant garde music is best experienced live. Last night I went to hear Kidd Jordan, William Parker and Hamid Drake at UMASS Amherst. Previously I had never been much of a fan of Jordan. I considered him pretty much a one trick pony with little variation in dynamics or sense of nuance in his playing. Last night I gained a greater appreciation of his playing. All the things I had not really noticed before I heard last night, including an appealing tone, ideas beyond screaming until his lungs fall out, and shifting dynamics. Parker and Drake, made sure there was always soemthing happening rhythmically to hold interest, and because of the frequent grooves and vamps played the music was usually somewhat grounded. Enjoyable set.

One thing I have learned is that very often so called avant garde music is best experienced live. Last night I went to hear Kidd Jordan, William Parker and Hamid Drake at UMASS Amherst. Previously I had never been much of a fan of Jordan. I considered him pretty much a one trick pony with little variation in dynamics or sense of nuance in his playing. Last night I gained a greater appreciation of his playing. All the things I had not really noticed before I heard last night, including an appealing tone, ideas beyond screaming until his lungs fall out, and shifting dynamics. Parker and Drake, made sure there was always soemthing happening rhythmically to hold interest, and because of the frequent grooves and vamps played the music was usually somewhat grounded. Enjoyable set.

Do you know the Palm Of Soul album by these three? To me, his playing on that one exhibits some of the positive things you mention. Of coarse that is the only Kidd Jordon I'm familiar with so I'm no expert. I do like the album though.

Do you know the Palm Of Soul album by these three? To me, his playing on that one exhibits some of the positive things you mention. Of coarse that is the only Kidd Jordon I'm familiar with so I'm no expert. I do like the album though.

I like that CD too.

One thing I have learned is that very often so called avant garde music is best experienced live.

i couldn't agree with you more. a lot of this creative improvised music didn't really make sense to me until i starting attending live performances where i could see as well as hear the communication, the dynamics, and the relationships between the musicians. sure, it takes more effort - you're less likely to experience this kind of music in a typical jazz club than you are at a college, an art gallery, a church, or a museum - but it's definitely worth it. heck, i've seen some great shows at a ymca and a vfw!

Edited by robviti

I would give this idea a mixed review - some of the most boring stuff I've ever heard was done by great musicians, in person, who did know how to edit their stuff and who confused freedom with lack of direction - and it was always easier just to show up and blow - for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours.............

Edited by AllenLowe