Cheltenham/Bath Festivals 2009

Those reed players I think were Shabaka Hutchins and Nathaniel Facey. Facey plays with Empirical, and also Courtney Pine's Afropeans band. Don't know a great deal about his playing, I'm afraid! Shabaka is London-based...he's also with Afropeans, and has his own trio called Zed-U - I believe a Babel album is in the pipeline...he's a nice player...also starting to do some freer stuff as well, at which he's equally adept!

Thanks, Alex.

Until a couple of years ago I was pretty good at keeping up with the new people arriving. But there seems to be so much out there now - Outhouses and Porticos and this and that collective that I've lost touch with quite a bit. I think I also got scared off by the punk-indie direction that many of these bands seemed to be heading in. Nothing wrong with that as a direction - just not what appeals to me.

Two names who I really thought we'd hear more of - Nikki Yeoh (who had her concert cancelled, but did appear briefly with John Surman at the start of the DeJohnette concert) and Jason Yarde. I think it was last year he did a big piece at Cheltenham...but I'm still haunted by an astounding solo he performed in Sheffield in a jaw-dropping Tippett/Moholo/Rogers/Rutherford/Parker/Yarde band. If only that had been recorded! I believe he does a lot of production work now and I'm sure I saw his name on a disc of contemporary classical British composers somewhere.

Yeah, Jason is extraordinary. He does do a lot of production, as you say...but look out for a record coming soon from the Louis Moholo Unit - Jason, Francine Luce, Ntshuks Bonga, Orphy Robinson, Pule Pheto, John Edwards, and Louis...haven't heard it, but live the band is extraordinary! He also works with Byron Wallen in Jack DeJohnette's group...

I agree though - I think he's an awesome player.

Unfortunately, a heavy cold somewhat curtailed my enjoyment of the weekend...

I know what it's like being under the weather there. About 4 years back I arrived recovering from a nasty attack of shingles. I still found it hard to move or touch my back against a chair back. I recall sitting in the upstairs seats in the Town Hall (seats in the Town Hall!!!) watching Jazz Jamaica doing their Motown programme and feeling very uncomfortable.

Nasty.

Just listening to Dunmall doing his Talisker-ish bagpipe thing on the Radio 3 broadcast. Would have enjoyed it at mid-day but not sure about hearing it at mid-night with a streaming head.. :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

Must sort out that wave :D

I'll be at the Branford and the Dave Holland. Also the Empirical Adderley film tribute and the Bobo (in the Assembly Rooms - very cultured !)

Not sure about the Bojan. I'll need convincing on that one.

I passed on the mock Battle of Quiberon Bay with radio controlled battleships + musical accompaniment in the Roman Baths but it sounds dead cool :crazy:

Should be a good weekend of music.

Looks like I'm sorted for the Martino/Arguelles performance at the Everyman.

Tell me where you are sitting. I'll wave at you!

I booked some Bath concerts today:

Saturday

Portico Qt + Bojan Z

Jerusalem Quartet (Haydn, Bartok and Debussy...hope I'm not required to wear a dinner jacket!)

Sunday

Nick Bartsche + Curios

Julie Fowlis (Gaelic folk singer...hope I'm not required to wear a kilt).

Monday

Bobo Stenson

Branford Marsalis (hope I'm not requiredto wear a beret).

Edited by sidewinder

Must sort out that wave :D

I'll be at the Branford and the Dave Holland. Also the Empirical Adderley film tribute and the Bobo (in the Assembly Rooms - very cultured !)

Not sure about the Bojan. I'll need convincing on that one.

I passed on the mock Battle of Quiberon Bay with radio controlled battleships + musical accompaniment in the Roman Baths but it sounds dead cool :crazy:

Should be a good weekend of music.

Looks like I'm sorted for the Martino/Arguelles performance at the Everyman.

Tell me where you are sitting. I'll wave at you!

I booked some Bath concerts today:

Saturday

Portico Qt + Bojan Z

Jerusalem Quartet (Haydn, Bartok and Debussy...hope I'm not required to wear a dinner jacket!)

Sunday

Nick Bartsche + Curios

Julie Fowlis (Gaelic folk singer...hope I'm not required to wear a kilt).

Monday

Bobo Stenson

Branford Marsalis (hope I'm not requiredto wear a beret).

I shall be joining the party... :cool:

Sorry not to have have responded to your offer, sidewinder! I've not been on here much over the last couple of weeks (frightened off by the shennangins elsewhere!) and quite missed the last few posts in this thread! Maybe next year.

Very much enjoyed the weekend. In brief:

Portico Quartet - pleasant enough but not enough 'soloing' for my taste.

Bojan Z - fabulous. Whipped up a real head of steam but lots of interesting themes (with more than a dash of the Balkans). Josh Roseman augmented on trombone to great effect. Seb Rochford was just stunning - I'm no drum freak but I could have spent the set just listening to him. I find some of his projects too indie-rock for my ears but in a situation like this he's amazing.

Jerusalem Quartet - I don't go to many classical concerts these days but this made me rethink my decision. A completely unfamiliar Haydn quartet (which has got me listening to Haydn more carefully), Bartok's 4th which I have on CD and have listened to but I think this was the first time I really 'heard' it and an old favourite in the Debussy quartet.

The Curious - Tom Cawley's trio in great form. Cawley is a player I've really warmed to this year - I get the impression Acoustic Ladyland was not a natural environment. When he gets possessed, my does he go.

Nik Bartsch - As with Portico, not enough going on up front to hold my attention. Excellent musicianship, interesting textures etc. But it seemed to be made up of slabs of grooves that would get locked in a cycle for five minutes before moving to another repeating pattern. Clearly influenced by 70s Miles but without the interest of a bubbling top line.

Julie Fowlis - wonderfully voiced Gaelic folk music from the Hebrides. Despite having achieved fame and Radio 2 recognition it's good to see she's not been directed into an 'English language with guest DJ' format. Just her voice, whistles and (in the encore) bagpipes, accompanied by a bouzouki, guitar and fiddle.

Bobo Stenson - lovely lunchtime concert, rambling round his own tunes. A glorious mid-point sequence of Ellington's Reflections in D and Fleure Africane (as so often happens I quickly picked up the melodies as they emerged but couldn't name them for the life of me until he did so at the end).

Empirical/Branford Marsalis - Drank two pints of Bellringer too quickly before the concert so dozed through the Empirical set. Very much enjoyed Marsalis - fabulous piano and drums in particular. And nice to see him pull up the Empirical alto player to join in on the Monk encore. He looked like all his birthdays had come at once!

All new venues for me this year. Didn't care for 'Komedia' which was very cramped and seemed more designed for nightclub like activities. The Assembly Rooms had great acoustics though the sightlines were not ideal from the back. The Forum was bizarre - I assume it's some sort of left-field church meeting place, all done up in art-deco classical decoration. Nice and spacious - lots of room to stretch your legs at the break.

Bath itself was at its best - fabulous weather. With long breaks between concerts I was able to explore a bit further afield. A wonderful walk up the south side of the river which led to a field with amazing vistas of the city. And a nice drive yesterday in the footsteps of the Royalist army on its way to the Battle of Landsdown in 1643, fought just north of the city. There's a monument there to my namesake, Sir Bevil Grenville, who was killed leading the Cornish up the pretty steep hill.

Looking forward to next year already!

Sorry not to have have responded to your offer, sidewinder! I've not been on here much over the last couple of weeks (frightened off by the shennangins elsewhere!) and quite missed the last few posts in this thread! Maybe next year.

No problem !

I caught most of the gigs on Sunday and Monday. I was expecting great things from Dave Holland Quintet and wasn't disappointed. They were very much on form - obviously well 'played in' thanks to their European tour and both Mr Holland and Robin Eubanks were exceptional. Chris Potter no slouche either. Great table up front for this one, which helped.

Right after the Dave Holland I caught Dave Okumu and 'Crump' over in the excellent little Mission Theatre over by the bus station. Lovely little venue and very, very nice late night gig. Once again I am very impressed with Dave Okumu - a highly original stylist. Sort of Sonny Sharrock meets Les Paul.

Which meant a late night car drive back South and early return up the next day for the Bobo Stenson in the Assembly Rooms - where I almost nodded off ! Not 100% my 'cup of tea' but beautifully played.

Right after Bobo was the first appearance by Empirical at the 'Little Theatre' which was preceded by Kevin Le Gendre's talk/slides/film snippet about Cannonball Adderley and his politics. Less film than I was expecting (about 10 seconds !) but interesting nevertheless re: the Jesse Jackson connection. Empirical's tribute to Cannonball was IMO even better than their evening Dolphy Tribute. Slightly different lineup with trumpet and piano in place of the vibes for the evening gig.

And (after gatecrashing a country pub in Combe Hay, old haunt of mine, that was closed for a private function but somehow I ended up being served a pint) to The Forum and Empirical/Branford Marsalis. 'The Forum' is a 50s art deco cinema that is full of character. I caught the gig from the balcony - less than 'A1' acoustics up there but Yves, who was in the stalls, tells me it sounds much better down below. Branford Marsalis's group were most impressive - superbly paced and varied programme, this concert was a real crowd-winner and justifiably so. And that drummer is apparently only 18 !

A great year for the Bath Fest I think. Certainly, the Holland and Marsalis gigs match pretty well anything I've seen there over the years.

Edited by sidewinder

the Battle of Landsdown in 1643, fought just north of the city. There's a monument there to my namesake, Sir Bevil Grenville, who was killed leading the Cornish up the pretty steep hill.

Over by the race track?

That's the place. As you drive north the road suddenly snakes steeply down through a wooded area. That's the hill the Royalists stormed up. They'd attempting to seize Bath over the previous few days but William Waller blocked them at every turn. By the time they had captured the ridge they were so exhausted they gave up and went back to their camp at Marshfield (near the ice cream place!). Later they pushed on to Devizes where they beat Waller at Roundway Down - another excellent place to do a battlefield walk. Great views, interesting history!

You get some idea of the scale of Bath when you think that we both spent Sun/Monday there and only overlapped a couple of gigs!

Dave Okumu is very impressive - I've seen him at Cheltenham a couple of times. I think he had a band at one time called Jade Fox - one of the F-IRE bands that never seemed to get recorded.

Fascinating ! I occasionally drive round there so know the site.

Quite a few historical battles fought in the Bath area. The big hill to the right of the dual carriageway going North to the M4 (Solsbury, near Batheaston) is reputedly the site of the Dark Ages Battle of Mount Badon or 'King Arthur' legend/fame, around AD 480. And then there's the site at Dyrham - again a Dark Ages Saxon/Brits battle, around AD 700. My understanding is that this latter battle resulted in the final takeover of Bath by the 'great unwashed', after they had held out for decades as a Romano-Brit enclave.

Edited by sidewinder

I saw Dave Okumu in one of those F-IRE bands. Might have been Jade Fox? It also had Ingrid Laubrock and Tom Arthurs in the lineup so maybe not.

You get some idea of the scale of Bath when you think that we both spent Sun/Monday there and only overlapped a couple of gigs!

Dave Okumu is very impressive - I've seen him at Cheltenham a couple of times. I think he had a band at one time called Jade Fox - one of the F-IRE bands that never seemed to get recorded.

Edited by sidewinder

Fascinating ! I occasionally drive round there so know the site.

Quite a few historical battles fought in the Bath area. The big hill to the right of the dual carriageway going North to the M4 (Solsbury, near Batheaston) is reputedly the site of the Dark Ages Battle of Mount Badon or 'King Arthur' legend/fame, around AD 480. And then there's the site at Dyrham - again a Dark Ages Saxon/Brits battle, around AD 700. My understanding is that this latter battle resulted in the final takeover of Bath by the 'great unwashed', after they had held out for decades as a Romano-Brit enclave.

I know of Mount Badon - reputedly where Arthur (or someone similar) halted the Anglo-Saxon advance for 50 years or so. I didn't know Solsbury Hill claimed it as a site (I assume that is Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill?). I think I've heard of the battle of Dyrham but never associated it with the area on the way to the motorway. (Passed through Batheaston, by the way, after lunch by the canal at Bathampton, just before the toll bridge - fabulous drive up single carriageway roads from Batheaston to the Marshfield plateau).

There are a couple of sites associated with Dark Age scraps a bit further away. Wroughton (where I once lived for a year) just outside of Swindon is supposed to be the site of the Battle of Elandune (or Ethandune?) which I think was a pre-Alfred the Great skirmish. There's also a great drive from near Avebury, up a ridge to Westbury, which is supposedly the site of Alfred's critical defeat of the Vikings in 878. There's a hill fort up there and the Westbury White Horse.

I never tire of that part of the country. Even if there are only a handful of gigs I want to attend next year, I think I'll still go, if only to explore the area.

There are several possible sites for the Battle of Mount Badon (or Mons Badonicus, I think it is called in Latin). Solsbury Hill (yes, the Peter Gabriel place) is one option but probably the favourite is a site nearer to Swindon - Liddington Castle, just off the Ridgeway and therefore logistically ideally placed for two foot armies to intercept. Both are pretty good bets though.

"Ethandun" was fought just outside Westbury - near the present day village of Eddington. The site is a hill fort and is open to the public (quite a big site actually and yes, the 'Westbury White Horse' is there). It was indeed a major battle between the West Saxons and Vikings (under Guthrum) and if Alfred had lost that day we'd probably be posting here in Swedish :o . The Saxon army (a congregation from Wilts, Somerset and Hampshire) actually congregated near the Wilts county boundary at Stourhead ('Egbert's Stone'), marched up the Deverill Valley and then camped near Warminster (the site - Iley Oak - has been identified) and then marched to intercept the Danes at Eddington. As a result of the Saxon victory that day a truce was held, Guthrum retreated to his 'operating base' at Chippenham (and from there back East) and the 'Danelaw' division of England was eventually established.

Until quite recently apparently the locals of the Deverill Valley referred to anyone locally with ginger/fair hair as 'Daners' - incredible how this history lingers.

Heck - forget jazz. I should get more into Anglo-Saxon history. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

Ah! The one I'm thinking of was Ellendune (825) at Wroughton. Amazingly enough, there's lots about it here:

http://everything2.com/title/Battle%2520of%2520Ellendun

I recall Liddington from when I lived that way - knew someone at school who lived in the village. I've had a walk up to the hill fort on the cards a few times but weather has blown it every time.

I did a fair bit of Anglo-Saxon history at uni 30+ years back. More recently I've been teaching a new GCSE course with a 'Raiders and Invaders 450-1100' unit involved. Obviously it just skims the surface, but it reactivated my interest - when I was down that way last summer I spent a fair bit of time Alfred hunting!

I can really recommend this book for a marvellous bit of speculative detective work on the later Saxon/Viking age. It's Yorkshire based but absolutely gripping:

bloodfeud.jpg

If Stan Tracey was still doing this sort of thing I'm sure we could commission an 'Anglo-Saxon Suite' from him!

Edited by Bev Stapleton