BFT #63 - Discussion Thread

RDK

Again I'm very late, but better late than never.

Listened to this one several times while at work or in the car, and now I'm typing these lines while doing some pc work.

Disc 1:

# 1 - Eddie Harris' tune "Cold Duck Time" - not played quite accurately, as far as the rhythm of the first phrase is concerned. I

found Eddie's version with Les Mccann much more thrilling. Nice, but unspectacular. No idea whoe they are.

# 2 - Sounds like a live recording of some 1980's quartet. No piano? Bass (dreaded pickup sound) is a liitle up front. But he

and the drummer swing the band real hard, and it is nice how the soloists keep their cool while digging in - but agin no idea

who they are. Like the trumpet better than the sax.

# 3 - Sounds to me like some generic 1980's jazz waltz, not very original.

# 4 - I love Rhodes piano, and that's a very nice player. Joe Lee Wilson? I like that singer, too ... I'd certainly like to hear more.

Bass clarinet? Yeah! My favourite track so far.

# 5 - Trombone and electric rhythm ... you got me drawing blanks all the way. Like it, the feathery touch of the rhythm section,

and the bone's fluency. Who is this?

# 6 - Very interesting - this comes along with the attitude of the Modern Jazz Quartet, but it definietely ain't them. Neither it is

the Classical Jazz Quartet - this is not Kenny Barron. Vibist is emulating Milt Jackson. On the whole, I find it a tad too clean,

but would like to hear more.

# 7 - No idea again, nice groove, but doesn't give me too much right now.

# 8 - I should know that alto - sounds like a cross between Hank Crawford and Arthur Blythe (the vibrato). Strange mix of

conventional popjazz balladry and soulful lamentation. I dunno ...

# 9 - Theme reminds me of a piece by the Bulgarian Jazz Quartet, of all people, from the 1970's, but it turns into a McCoy

Tyner vibe soon. Doesn't strike me as very original.

# 10 - The mood with its assymetric ostinatos reminds me of some piece by the first Mahavishnu Orchestra. Beautifully done

with that violin as lead voice. Nice mix of an ECM-ish mood piece with very slight fusionistic touches. Makes me want to hear

more.

# 11 - Oh my - another unkown. This somehow attracts me, with its mix of a tradional trumpet/clarinet front line with growls

and all but a modern rockish groove. I think the pianist is a little too busy behind the clarinet but knows how to pace himself in

his solo. Drummer could be more flexible. Bowed bass ... original combination of things. Who is this?

# 12 - This takes almost too much patience from me to listen through it - I use a whirltube or a meditation bowl myself every now and then, but not all of the time ... I don't hear too much of a connection between the bassits and the horns. Doesn't tell me much ...

Thanks for the compilation - only two to three trac ks that really grabbed me, but these many players I don't recognize set me to thinkin' ....

p.s. edited to straighten out the layout

Edited by mikeweil

On to disc 2:

# 13 - Rather energetic trio. Not bad, Like the rhythmic quality of the pianist's playing, who has absorbed his share of

Ellington, and stays on the beat without drawing too much on modernistic cliches, but still sounds modern. Wonder who this is.

# 14 - Another blank with this duo ...

# 15 - ...and another, but I recognize Mongo Santamaria's Afro Blue, but for my taste this is too far removed from its

Afro-Cuban heritage. I doubt they know anything about this, and just know Coltrane's version. Also, too long for my taste.

# 16 - There are many German bands playing thems like this. Don't like the trumpeter's intonation. Two guitars - nothing I haven't heard a million times before.

# 17 - After listening to this I jumped to different points of the trumpet solo, and it always sounded the same - what is this for?Doesn't tell me much. Just licks, no development.

# 18 - This reminds me of those contemporary piano trios in the wake of Jarrett's trio that all sound the same to me. Almost like a modern version of bar jazz. But this pianist has an interesting sound in the treble register.

# 19 - More trio, in a 9/8 rhythm. This is a Turkish gipsy rhythm, 9 divided in 2-2-2-3. Ah: Norwegian Wood - one of my two favourite Beatles tunes. Why do all of these modern trio pianists, bassists, and drummers sound the same to me? Don't like the drummer handles this rhythm, like the pianist much better. Oh - a ring modulator. Who is this pianist? Would like to hear him with more challenging drummer and bassist. But it's a bit long.

# 20 - It's nice this band features a conga/bongo player, but the drummer doesn't change his playing a bit for him. So what? Their playing concepts don't really fit - sounds more like their fighting with each other - very egotistical drummer. Not to my taste ... one more example of a live track that doesn't impress me on CD.

# 21 - Again, nothing new ...

I think this is the first time I didn't recognize a single player - all stuff I wouldn't buy, except for that singer.

Still, thanks a lot!