Le Cercle Rouge

kenny weir

Saw the reissue of this fabulous 1970 Jean-Pierre Melville thriller last night - what a blast!

Does anyone know who was the band and band leader who were seen at length in several shots set in Santi's nightclub? It was Basie-esque swing, a big band with about 18-20 players, about 2/3s of whom were black.

I also saw a preview for another (new) French flick, Une Femme De Menage (The Housekeeper) that had a scene set in a jazz club. Just a glimpse, but I thought the piano player might be Martial Solal.

• 3 weeks later...

I also saw a preview for another (new) French flick, Une Femme De Menage (The Housekeeper) that had a scene set in a jazz club. Just a glimpse, but I thought the piano player might be Martial Solal.

The pianist in 'Une Femme de Menage' is Rene Urtreger who plays with the HUM trio (Pierre Michelot on bass and Daniel Humair) in the jazzclub scene and the recording session.

The film was directed by Claude Berri. Berri and Urtreger have been friends for life. They grew up in the same Paris neighborhood.

Urtreger also wrote the music to Berri's 1976 biographical film 'La Premiere Fois' (The First Time).

• 1 month later...

Up.

Have yet to see 'Cercle Rouge' again.

But I have the soundtrack CD issue.

In his liner notes to the CD, film music composer Eric Demarsan recalls that director Jean-Pierre Melville asked him for a music that would be similar to the soundtrack John Lewis created for Robert Wise's film 'Odds Against Tomorrow'.

The CD does not identify all the musicians in the big band that performed the music but lists the following soloists:

Daniel Humair, dr, Guy Pedersen, b, Georges Arvanitas, p, Bernard Lubat, vib, Raymond Guiot, fl, Joss Baselli, accordion.

Solos by a trombone and a tenorsax players remain uncredited.

There is a wonderful search engine that I use for any questions relating to cinema. It is the Internet Movie Data Base:

www.imdb.com

When you get onto the site, you need only type in the name of the movie and the entire credits of a film will be promptly displayed. You can also do it with actors, directors, tech crew, etc. and their entire oevre of work will be displayed including a biography and links.

Unfortunately, the only music credit that comes up for this movie is Eric Demarsan who has already been mentioned.