Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I am here too. Not too much music in my life now. I'm in RUssia at my paretns' place so listen to my old tapes of heavy metal: Anthrax "Sound of White Noise" and Flotsam & Jetsam "Cuatro".

Haven't listened to any of them for many years now, and happy to find that I still enjoy them a lot, particualrly Flotsam & Jetsam - a clever, skillfull and pretty original band. When I get back home, I'll get these both on CD. Funny that I hear much more now intricacies in this music now than I used to when I was a teenager. I probably didn't care too much for intricacies back then...

Will be listening to some Fear Factory, The Beatles, Pantera and Gentle Giant over the next 3 days.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still here, just really busy both at work and at home. Not too much time for music recently and most of what I have been listening to is not jazz. Fela, Lightning Bolt, Faust, Oren Ambarchi, Sunburned Hand of the Man, the Boredoms and some old, old blues have been played sporadically over the past few days.

Ray Anderson is fantastic live. If you ever het a chance to see him I highly recommend it. I have seen his group Pocket Brass Band as well as BassDrumBone, which is his trio with Mark Helias and Gerry Hemingway.

I don't know of any Atavistic UMS that have gone oop. emusic has all of them, if you have a fast connection that would be a cheap way to pick them all up. The Fred Anderson's the Brotz', the Joe McPhee's and the Schlippenbach are the pick of the bunch. I also really enjoy the album Funky Donkey, by Luther Thomas, out of the more obscure UMS' it is probably my favorite.

Haazz and Co - Unlawful Noise is also a lot of fun. It is a blowout of noise featuring Kees Hazovoet with Brotzmann, Han Bennink, Peter Bennink, Johnny Dyani and Louis Moholo.

I also noticed there is a new Brotz trio album called Medicina scheduled for release through Atavistic. No notes on who else is in the trio. It is getting very difficult to keep up with new Brotz releases, never mind his back catalog. How many discs has he put out this year? The two tentet discs on Okka, the lp on Bro, the clarinet album on UMS, Medicina...that's five this year, so far. :wacko:

Edited by John B

It is getting very difficult to keep up with new Brotz releases, never mind his back catalog. How many discs has he put out this year? The two tentet discs on Okka, the lp on Bro, the clarinet album on UMS, Medicina...that's five this year, so far. :wacko:

A solo on FMP as well.

It is getting very difficult to keep up with new Brotz  releases, never mind his back catalog.  How many discs has he put out this year?  The two tentet discs on Okka, the lp on Bro, the clarinet album on UMS, Medicina...that's five this year, so far.  :wacko:

A solo on FMP as well.

also Tales Out of Time, with Joe McPhee on Hat. That's seven. One a month, not too shabby.

I keep hearing rave reviews for this. If I were only going to buy one of these 2004 Brotz releases this would be it.

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing that I'd like , perhaps you could tell that Mr Brotzmann to play something a little more peaceful in future.

I'm still here lurking as always. The mention of Hal Russells name has encouraged me to listen to the NRG Ensemble CD on Nessa - some wonderful music.

Whoever chose Hal Russell as a CD of the week & introduced me to his music has a lot to answer for !!!

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing that I'd like , perhaps you could tell that Mr Brotzmann to play something a little more peaceful in future.

I'm still here lurking as always. The mention of Hal Russells name has encouraged me to listen to the NRG Ensemble CD on Nessa - some wonderful music.

Whoever chose Hal Russell as a CD of the week & introduced me to his music has a lot to answer for !!!

Waddya mean? That was humble yours truly...

Don't have the Nessa yet, but I will have to order some of Chuck's stuff sooner or later...

Check the sample track from the Elixir disc on the Atavistic site, Gary - you shall like that one, too!

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Don't have the Nessa yet, but I will have to order some of Chuck's stuff sooner or later...

there are some great releases on Nessa. Get the Fred Anderson, the Air disc, the AEC box and Roscoe Mitchell's Snurdy McGurdy and her Dancin' Shoes to start.

The AEC I've had for at least five years! Love it! Other than that no Nessa so far, but no money to order right now - all the ones you mention are on my list, though, thanks!

ubu

I've hired Brotz to play in my back yard and I'll be releasing the date come September on my very own label: Chaney Wreckords :blink:

Make sure that your neighbours' sing-and-clap along is audible on the recording - I love these live atmosphere artefacts.

Other than that no Nessa so far, but no money to order right now -

I won't be buying much music for a while after my spending this past month. Too many albums I want to hear, too little extra money to spend.

I picture Chaney's backyard looking like Gary's current avatar. I would love to see my 90 year old neighbor's reaction as Brotz went into overdrive.

Edited by John B

there are some great releases on Nessa. Get the Fred Anderson, the Air disc, the AEC box and Roscoe Mitchell's Snurdy McGurdy and her Dancin' Shoes to start.

Agreed , I've been listening to some of the AEC box today coincidentally.

The AIR cd is magnificent - but the track 'I'll be right here waiting' is one that gets the hairs on the back of the neck raised with every listen.

It is getting very difficult to keep up with new Brotz  releases, never mind his back catalog.  How many discs has he put out this year?  The two tentet discs on Okka, the lp on Bro, the clarinet album on UMS, Medicina...that's five this year, so far.   :wacko:

A solo on FMP as well.

also Tales Out of Time, with Joe McPhee on Hat. That's seven. One a month, not too shabby.

I keep hearing rave reviews for this. If I were only going to buy one of these 2004 Brotz releases this would be it.

& this one on the DMG email

PETER BROTZMANN / MARCO ENEIDI / LISLE ELLIS / JACKSON KRALL - Live at Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015) Brotzmann plays tenor sax & taragato, Marco plays alto sax, Lisle plays contrabass and Jackson plays drums. Word is that this is a smoking set and no doubt that we believe that fact. Marco Eneidi's recent trio disc with Paul Murphy & Kash Killion (on Cadence) was one of this year's best free/jazz gems, so...

CD for $15

It is getting very difficult to keep up with new Brotz  releases, never mind his back catalog.  How many discs has he put out this year?  The two tentet discs on Okka, the lp on Bro, the clarinet album on UMS, Medicina...that's five this year, so far.   :wacko:

A solo on FMP as well.

& this one on the DMG email

PETER BROTZMANN / MARCO ENEIDI / LISLE ELLIS / JACKSON KRALL - Live at Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015) Brotzmann plays tenor sax & taragato, Marco plays alto sax, Lisle plays contrabass and Jackson plays drums. Word is that this is a smoking set and no doubt that we believe that fact. Marco Eneidi's recent trio disc with Paul Murphy & Kash Killion (on Cadence) was one of this year's best free/jazz gems, so...

CD for $15

Heey, this sounds like a good one. Lisle Ellis is a phenomenal bassist, (check him out in a What We Live trio with one of the ROVA boys (the name escapes me now - shame on me) - there are several records on Black Saint / Soul Note.

-----------------------------------

Today got a fantastic CD of Sergey Letov (baritone saxophone, flutes and more) / Yuriy Parfenov (trumpet, pocket trumpet) duo. Unfortunately, there was only one spare copy, and I had to make a difficult decision to enlighten only one of you, and I figured out that this ubu guy has to be encouraged for his constant violation of intellectual property laws, so he is getting a copy (some time in September I guess). Meanwhile, I will contact Letov directly and will make sure that he provides me with several more copies of this CD, since you just have to hear it, - and you will, but probably not before Christmas.

this ubu guy has to be encouraged for his constant violation of intellectual property laws, so he is getting a copy (some time in September I guess).

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Looking forward to it!

Hey, I found "Ghostly Thoughts" today - a new copy showing a bit of wear, as it was probably lying around where I found it since its release... only 15 CHF (around 10$), which is pretty cool for a Hat disc, no matter if I like it or love it (let's hope I won't hate it...)

ubu

Hey, I found "Ghostly Thoughts" today - a new copy showing a bit of wear, as it was probably lying around where I found it since its release... only 15 CHF (around 10$), which is pretty cool for a Hat disc, no matter if I like it or love it (let's hope I won't hate it...)

Let us know about your impressions! As you rememeber, there was a bit of controversy about it here.

is a phenomenal bassist' date=' (check him out in a What We Live trio with one of the ROVA boys (the name escapes me now - shame on me) - there are several records on Black Saint / Soul Note.

-----------------------------------

David, please!! It's the *Great* LARRY (LAWRENCE) OCHS.

Well, droogs, I had a listen to this one:

d54256e99a6.jpg

And I have to admit that - while I hear the technical brilliance, and lots of ideas - the whole thing leaves me rather cold. I like Shipp (I don't "love" him, though), and I admire Ms Ibarra, who's a wonderful drummer (and a beautiful woman, too)!

Yet this whole thing which I understand is "energetic" and "emotional", still doesn't convince me, and leaves me cold to a point that I could maybe even argue the emotionality being fake... I don't want to say that, but the disc seems to be much too polished, too clean, and not really reaching its goals. Maybe a live recording, done on the spot by someone good at capturing a band's live sound (as opposed to the clean and perfect late nineties studio sound common to many major label releases, lately), would help a lot. Or maybe not...

On the other hand, this one's a great disc, I think:

d07115vw215.jpg

Had another listen (only in the background, though), and it does quite convince me. Some beautiful playing by all three, and the two duo tracks with Leo Smith are very good, too! (How about those two tracks, are they part of an album's worth of Smith-Brown duos?)

ubu

d54256e99a6.jpg

And I have to admit that - while I hear the technical brilliance, and lots of ideas - the whole thing leaves me rather cold. I like Shipp (I don't "love" him, though), and I admire Ms Ibarra, who's a wonderful drummer (and a beautiful woman, too)!

Yet this whole thing which I understand is "energetic" and "emotional", still doesn't convince me, and leaves me cold to a point that I could maybe even argue the emotionality being fake... I don't want to say that, but the disc seems to be much too polished, too clean, and not really reaching its goals.

Ubu-man, I had exactly the same feeling about Ware's Flight of I - expertly played clever fake!

d54256e99a6.jpg

Yet this whole thing which I understand is "energetic" and "emotional", still doesn't convince me, and leaves me cold to a point that I could maybe even argue the emotionality being fake... I don't want to say that, but the disc seems to be much too polished, too clean, and not really reaching its goals.

Ubu-man, I had exactly the same feeling about Ware's Flight of I - expertly played clever fake!

Glad I'm not all alone with that feeling! Somehow, it starts with the production - all too clean. And then the label: Columbia producing free jazz? Hm... :huh: the world would necessarily come to an end very soon, my dear friends, if they were serious about it!

I wonder, did Ware (or does he? Is he still with them?) sell enough records for them to keep him?

ubu

Heey, this sounds like a good one. Lisle Ellis is a phenomenal bassist, (check him out in a What We Live trio with one of the ROVA boys (the name escapes me now - shame on me) - there are several records on Black Saint / Soul Note.

I saw Lisle Ellis in concert with Marco Eneidi a few months back and very much agree - he was fantastic! I've never heard him on record, so I will make note of your suggestions and explore some of his work. I just found out last week that he will be coming back to the same venue with his own group in November, so I'll definitely go to that show.

I agree about the Ware on Columbia comments. None of them ever really clicked with me. There are better Ware discs out there, but, as I get more discerning with my listening I find less and less in Ware's albums that really say anything to me. Branford Marsalis was responsible for Ware being signed to Columbia, fwiw.

Edited by John B

CD for $15

this year's Brotz count is now up to eight albums. This one does sound good. Another one for "the list."

Guest Chaney

From the Don't-Ya-Just-Love-It department...

Wanting to take advantage of their buy 3 - get 1 free deal, I ordered six titles from eremite and asked for two freebies. Received this reply:

i'm currently OUT of denis charles c/d, i'll have

nice repressing (superior to the first edition) in a couple of weeks.  if

you like i can BACKORDER it for you, charge you for the disc when it's ready

& send it.  if you go for this option i'll still kick in your two bonus

c/ds.

let me know what you think...

I reply:

Sounds good.  Let's do it.

Thank you.

Tony

Receive this response:

hi' anthony,

first part of your order shipped today, i'll ship & charge you for the

charles & the bonus trio hurricane in a couple of weeks.

best regards

I go along with the wait -- no biggie -- and what do I get? One of my freebies held hostage until such time as eremite can complete my order.

:rolleyes: