Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I've recently made an attempt to buy Funny Rat from Erstwhile, but they sent me some other CD instead (solo Shoji Hano, actually - haven't listened to it yet). I understand and accept the subtle sub-message: getting Funny Rat is not as easy as it might seam...

I'll be persistant - I will try again. Let's see what I will recieve this time.

I was planning on ordering the Rat from Erstwhile as well...we'll see if they have it available. Actually, I should be seeing Jon Abbey tomorrow night at a Keith Rowe / Fennesz show. Maybe I should ask him to bring a copy with him, just to be safe....

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris deals with the non-Erst part of Erst distribution, and has all the inventory at his place, I won't see him before we drive up tomorrow.

he's normally very meticulous, that's actually the first time I've ever heard he sent the wrong disc (I've done it a couple of times myself over the years), but I'm sure if you told him, he'd be happy to rectify his error.

Just found out more: it seems the concert took place october 16th, and they played just the three of them - Brötzmann (ts,cl,tarogato), Gustafsson (bari, flutophone, french flageolet), Vandermark (ts,cl,bcl). Entrance was... FREE!!!

(This information comes from here, the website of the "Porgy & Bess".)

Fuck, missed this.

Drop me a PM, include your address... ;)

Chris deals with the non-Erst part of Erst distribution, and has all the inventory at his place, I won't see him before we drive up tomorrow.

he's normally very meticulous, that's actually the first time I've ever heard he sent the wrong disc (I've done it a couple of times myself over the years), but I'm sure if you told him, he'd be happy to rectify his error.

I wasn't serious about asking you to shuttle ErstDist discs up to Boston. (should have included a smiley at the end of that post...) I'll try to spend some time at Twisted Village before the show and I'm hoping to pick up a few discs I want while there. Whatever I don't find will go into the next order for Chris.

I'm listening to your avatar now. This one has been a sleeper. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I heard it but it has grown on me each time I've been able to give it a careful listen. It has a lot more detail and nuance than I thought at first and it is my 2nd favorite of the three new discs, behind View From a Window.

Edited by John B

I listened to Günter Müller / Lê Quan Ninh's La Voyelle Liquide again, and I think I'm going to sell it. I'll play it one more time, but I don't think I'll get used to this kind of improv.

You're not allowed to dispose of any disk without first having listened to it three times.

:ph34r:

Seriously, I'd do as John suggests and put it aside for a future sale -- AFTER you've listened to it two more times. :rlol

Agree with John and Tony, - listen to it several times.

I wasn't impressed on first listen, was intrigued on second and awed on third.

I know that this has been taked of before but I only received last week Taylor's Willisau CD ( after a long delay)

How represenatative is this of his work, because it's stunningly beautiful ,much more melodious than I expected. Sound quality is superb.

It is somewhat more melodic than other CT solo recordings, but is quite represenatitive nonetheless ;).

Meaning, get other solo Cecil stuff ("Indent", "Air Above Mountains", "Silent Tongues", etc.)!

Edited by Д.Д.

I know that this has been taked of before but I only received last week Taylor's Willisau CD ( after a long delay)

How represenatative is this of his work, because it's stunningly beautiful ,much more melodious than I expected. Sound quality is superb.

It is somewhat more melodic than other CT solo recordings, but is quite represenatitive nonetheless ;).

Meaning, get other solo Cecil stuff ("Indent", "Air Above the Mountains", "Silent Tongues", etc.)!

Meaning: get other CT solo recordings TOO, right? ;)

Are the three you listed the ones to look for? I should get some more solo Taylor (have the In East-Berlin, and Willisau discs only).

ubu

If you dig Cecil's solo work, "Air Above Mountains" would not disappoint. That was the one I used to use to introduce my friends to Taylor. (Tangentially related comment: Most were musicians and none were less than impressed. All went on to hear more, some also liked the music in addition to being impressed, others found it too intense.)

If you dig Cecil's solo work, "Air Above Mountains" would not disappoint. That was the one I used to use to introduce my friends to Taylor. (Tangentially related comment: Most were musicians and none were less than impressed. All went on to hear more, some also liked the music in addition to being impressed, others found it too intense.)

ubu, solo Cecil is my favorite Cecil, so yes, of course I highly recommend these CDs.

Indent is beautiful, but I am not sure it is that easy to find (it's on Freedom). If you don't find it, I'll CD-R it for you... one day.

Air Above Mountains (on Enja MW) is available for EUR 10 from amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...3523564-6837667

How is East-Berlin?

Indent is beautiful, but I am not sure it is that easy to find (it's on Freedom). If you don't find it, I'll CD-R it for you... one day.

you can get this one for $8.95 through Al Lankin at jazzmatazz.

http://jazzmatazz.home.att.net/forsale.html

I don't know how much he charges for international shipping but I have had nothing but positive experiences buying discs from him.

I don't own very much Anthony Braxton, but I love what I have. I grabbed Quartet (Dortmund) 1976 and Quintet (Basel) 1977 before leaving for work this morning. Both of these sets are fantastic. Great playing, incomprehensible song titles and the usual, impeccable Hat recording quality. Both are very highly recommended!

Not that I will be buying anything in the near future, but does anyone have recommendations for my next, essential Braxton purchase? (Until Hat reissues the 4cd Willisau set...)

Edited by John B

ubu, solo Cecil is my favorite Cecil, so yes, of course I highly recommend these CDs.

Air Above Mountains (on Enja MW) is available for EUR 10 from amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...3523564-6837667

How is East-Berlin?

I'm afraid I haven't really listened in any concentrated way to "East-Berlin" - another reason not to buy ANY other disc now... (and those Veejay Mosaics are going OOP and I HAVE to get these, so there won't be no money around anyway).

I have never seen "Indent" nor "Silent Tongues", I have seen though that Amazon has the other ("Air...") cheap. I might go for that, but only AFTER the Mosaics (I have to keep telling myself ;) )

thanks, anyway!

ubu

Not that I will be buying anything in the near future, but does anyone have recommendations for my next, essential Braxton purchase? (Until Hat reissues the 4cd Willisau set...)

I am not sure about essential, but I like Braxton in small setings (solo, duo, trio) and as much improvised as possible (since I don't think his compositns are always that interesting). Accordingly, I would reccommend:

Duo (London) 1993 with Evan Parker in Leo (well, this one is essential, no doubt)

8 Duets (Hamburg) 1991 with Peter-Niklaus Wilson on Music & Arts

6 Duets 1982 with John Lindberg on Cecma

Trio (London) 1993 with Evan Parker and Paul Rutherford on Leo (this one is also pretty essential)

Milano 1979 Solo on Leo

"Birth and Rebirth" with Max Roach on Black Saint

"Silence/Time Zones" on Black Lion

And many more of course.

HatHut wil reissue another Braxton duo with Max Roach later this year.

Guest Chaney

Anyone familiar with this one from its previos FMP release? (Atavistic release day = 7/27/2004.)

berlin_djungle_alp246-250.jpg

Brötzmann Clarinet Project: Berlin DJungle

(Atavistic UMS246CD)

At JazzFest Berlin in 1984, Peter Brötzmann convened a once-in-a-lifetime ensemble, aiming to put a spotlight on the clarinet. The six (!) hand-picked clarinetists - not all of them always thought of as clarinetists - constitute one of the great "strange bedfellows" groupings of all time.

Simply to hear Brötzmann and John Zorn on the same stage requires quite an imagination (and this is the only such recording), but add to that the stupendous British jazzman Tony Coe (well known as the tenor saxophonist on Mancini's "Pink Panther"), East German Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky, French sophisticate Louis Sclavis and Lower Eastsider J.D. Parran, and you've got quite a volatile cocktail. Sit them atop Cecil Taylor's rhythm section, Tony Oxley on drums and William Parker on bass, and add Toshinori Kondo (of Die Like a Dog fame) on trumpet, Johannes Bauer and Alan Tomlinson on trombones, and the lineup is unstoppable.

The Brötzmann Clarinet Project performs a single, lengthy score by Brötzmann, and the results are as sensitive and poetic as they are incendiary, as befits the black wooden horn.

Remastered from the original tapes, with Brötzmann's original cover design, Berlin Djungle is proudly presented as part of the FMP Archive Edition.

Anyone familiar with this one from its previos FMP release? (Atavistic release day = 7/27/2004.)

Looks totally insane.

I will get it, of course.

Nice to see that Atavistic is keeping reissueing archive FMP material - I've read somewhere that this is a subject of a court case between FMP and Atavistic (or whoever is in charge ofthe tapes) at the moment.

hatOLOGY 2-535 / MIDPRICE / LAST CHANCE, SOON SOLD OUT

Misha Mengelberg

Two Days In Chicago

2 CD set available at $14 from CADENCE.

I have a bit of a problem with this one - but I listened to it only once so far.

Vandermark sounded bland, and some other pieces (with Ab Baars, I think) seemed dry and boring. I'll listen to it again.

Anybody else cares to share his (or her, he-he) thoughts (I think we all got it at the dawn of the glorious Funny Rat days, when it was annonced OOP, didn't we?)?

Guest Chaney

Golden Years Suck

Straitjacketing jazz to its past to prove it still is high art

Last month's International Association of Jazz Educators Conference attracted around 8,000 pedagogues, students, publishers, label reps, presenters, retailers, and publicists. Much has changed since New York's last IAJE: In 2001, Ken Burns's PBS documentary had attendees hopeful about mainstream prospects, and Lincoln Center's complex was just a twinkle in Wynton Marsalis's eye. But now the jazz establishment seems reconciled to reliving the gloried past.

That's where the IAJE money went, anyway. Though some great IAJE-affiliated music (notably saxophonist Miguel Zenon's Birdland showcase) wound up in clubs, the conference's biggest deal was the expanded NEA Jazz Masters program. This year IAJE flew in most of the program's previous honorees and celebrated six additional living masters at a Friday night gala ceremony and concert. In his acceptance speech as the first writer to receive a Master award, Nat Hentoff joked that his renegade politics began when he ate a salami sandwich on Yom Kippur at age 12. But wheeled out to perform, frail trumpeter Clark Terry spoke the sad truth: "The golden years suck!"

In Dan Morganstern's lively "Newport at 50" panel discussion, festival creator George Wein claimed astutely that "jazz is so recognized as an art form today that it's lost its joyousness." But the jazz-as-high-art theme still dominated IAJE, especially at Friday's restaging of Art Kane's classic 1958 Great Day in Harlem photo. It was fun to watch 22 venerable jazz musicians turn the shoot into a high-spirited reunion; Anita O'Day struck come-hither poses with fingers decorated in bright blue polish as if onstage at the old Birdland, and the Heath Brothers joined Roy Haynes to sing a few lines. Down in front, though, Cecil Taylor grimaced, perhaps wishing he'd worn darker sunglasses as a talisman against canonizing cameras. — Michelle Mercer - the village VOICE - February 4 - 10, 2004

He-he, at the beginning I thought this referred to Golden Years of New Jazz series on Leo. Was about to send you some spare Bananarama CDs I have...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it wonderful that Cecil is still in the mood to grimace to cameras at the age of 74?

Talking about Clark Terry, hope everybody here heard his unbelievable (albeit short) playing on Ed Thigpen's "Out in (of?) the Storm" (Verve)?

There's a passage of quite lyrical clarinet playing on Spillane as well as some snippets on The Classic Guide to Strategy.

Two Days in Chicago--if nothing else it has a curio in KVDM playing a couple Monk tunes, doing a reasonable job on them despite a few wrong turns. I haven't heard the rest, just those tracks.

Guest Chaney

hatOLOGY 2-535 / MIDPRICE / LAST CHANCE, SOON SOLD OUT

Misha Mengelberg

Two Days In Chicago

2 CD set available at $14 from CADENCE.

I have a bit of a problem with this one - but I listened to it only once so far.

Vandermark sounded bland, and some other pieces (with Ab Baars, I think) seemed dry and boring. I'll listen to it again.

Anybody else cares to share his (or her, he-he) thoughts (I think we all got it at the dawn of the glorious Funny Rat days, when it was annonced OOP, didn't we?)?

I had one listen ages ago, felt the same as you and so put it aside for another day.

I'll have another listen tonight.

Listening to right now:

5379943.jpg

writings...

Chaney - you must be feeling good, that's one hell of an album there.

Two Days in Chicago - Some interesting line-ups. I enjoy the trio pieces with Misha/Drake/Ken and the other shorter pieces with Misha and a rhythm section of some kind (2 cellos or drums etc.). The longer pieces (with Anderson) don't do much for me as Misha's music and personality kind of get diluted by the "let's hit it hard and make it groove" approach. A nice rendition of Round Midnight, though I had much higher expectations before first hearing it. It's been a while since I listened to the long solo piece (but lately I've been enjoying his "Impromptus" quite a bit) so can't comment there. The pieces with Baars fall flat, I think. So let me see, although good in spots and has variety in format, this is my least preferred Misha album.

So let me see, although good in spots and has variety in format, this is my least preferred Misha album.

Well, which is the most favorite one then? I have Root of the Problem and it is also only partially successful, I would say (there are some excellent duos with saxophonist Steve Potts, but the rest I was not too impressed with...).

But what Mengelberg-Douglas played on a recent concert here was stunningly beautiful.