Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

So beautiful that this sentimental king here is moved to tears :(

I know only two later Solal discs, but one of them is Triangle, and it's indeed very very good! The other is that Mars 10... (on Soulnote). Then I have the three Vogue CDs collecting all his early Vogue recordings. Some very good music, there, too!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... what a giant Dolphy was! And how sad we still are about this premature loss.

According to Sunny Murray (not the most reliable source), Dolphy was supposed to join a little modern jazz combo for a tour in the end of '64. Not just some combo, but this one:

Ayler

Cherry

Peacock

Murray

And Dolphy.

That could be he-he, for sure.

And a rare occasion that has to be celebrated in a separate post: I do agree on Minneapolis! What a stupid record! I love the old school funk sound of Sonny T when with Prince (check "Exodus" under the name of the New Power Generation for a good example), but with Portal they (Sonny T and fellow Prince-sideman Michael B) just don't make much sense.

I did only burn it, luckily.

ubu

... what a giant Dolphy was! And how sad we still are about this premature loss.

According to Sunny Murray (not the most reliable source), Dolphy was supposed to join a little modern jazz combo for a tour in the end of '64. Not just some combo, but this one:

Ayler

Cherry

Peacock

Murray

And Dolphy.

And most assuredly hi-de-ho.

What a shame.

Ayler

Cherry

Peacock

Murray

And Dolphy.

And most assuredly hi-de-ho.

What a shame.

Would we all believe that Jesus Christ has really lived, I could say now:

"there's still hope!"

and no, not ho-ho-pe in that case, but hope. however with you bunch of unfaithfuls!

The last record of MARTIAL SOLAL I have bought was the magnificent TRIANGLE on JMT (I think it's OOP) from 1995.

All JMTs are OOP, but hopefully they will all get eventually reissued on Winter & Winter (http://www.winterandwinter.com).

Of later Solal I have Solal-Griffin duo on Dreyfus (I guess it's after 1995), and I find it very charming, if not exactly a masterpiece. Also Solal's solo in Jazz'n'emotion series is very good (recommended by you-know-who) - but this is probably before 1995.

Solal is the man. Portal, I don't have too much hope for (having seen him live several times in the last 5 years).

The last record of MARTIAL SOLAL I have bought was the magnificent TRIANGLE on JMT (I think it's OOP) from 1995.

All JMTs are OOP, but hopefully they will all get eventually reissued on Winter & Winter (http://www.winterandwinter.com).

Of later Solal I have Solal-Griffin duo on Dreyfus (I guess it's after 1995), and I find it very charming, if not exactly a masterpiece. Also Solal's solo in Jazz'n'emotion series is very good (recommended by you-know-who) - but this is probably before 1995.

Solal is the man. Portal, I don't have too much hope for (having seen him live several times in the last 5 years).

You'll get what P.L.M. thinks is Portal's masterpiece tomorrow or day after...

Edit on JMT: it seems yes, W&W is reissuing ALL JMT releases.

Edited by king ubu

Guest Chaney

Cripes! Just a few hours spent away from this place and joyous frivolity abounds! -- all led by that troublemaking Russian kid -- he with more hair on his head that any man really needs!

Old news: Jemeel Moondoc vtet: Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that there shouldn't be a person on this board who would not thoroughly enjoy this one? Plenty of in-the-pocket playing (thanks John) and tunes not so far out that even the stiffest poster (hmmm..., whom might that be) couldn't whine.

:tup

Cripes! Just a few hours spent away from this place and joyous frivolity abounds! -- all led by that troublemaking Russian kid -- he with more hair on his head that any man really needs!

:lol:

you missed the party! and now they're all asleep! lazy bunch! (uh, well, they might be here again only a couple of hours after I hit the sack, so I better keep my mouth shut, now, but some of them, well, one of them, certainly has more hair...)

ubu

Old news:  Jemeel Moondoc vtet:  Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that there shouldn't be a person on this board who would not thoroughly enjoy this one? Plenty of in-the-pocket playing (thanks John) and tunes not so far out that even the stiffest poster (hmmm..., whom might that be) couldn't whine.

No Tony, you would not be wrong. Revolt is a terrific disc! Besides Moondoc, who is great here - very bluesy and lyrical, we have Khan Jamal providing some unique vibes playing - also very lyrical, but also very inventive - his solos are compositions by themselves.

Together with Walt Dickerson (it's such a shame the man is retired from music now!), Jamal is one of my favirite vibists. Check out his great trio disc called Three with Johny Dyani and Pierre Dorge on SteepleChase.

Edited by Д.Д.

Heu, sorry guys, I just made a slight mistake (was so late yesterday).

TRIANGLE from MARTIAL SOLAL is on JMS, not JMT.

JMS = JEAN-MARIE SALHANI.

So (he-he) NO reedition on WINTER & WINTER to expect.

Heu, could get you phone number of JMS, or his fax number if you wish...

But the guy seems to have run out of bussiness (Brownie do you know something about?)

Heu, sorry guys, I just made a slight mistake (was so late yesterday).

TRIANGLE from MARTIAL SOLAL is on JMS, not JMT.

JMS = JEAN-MARIE SALHANI.

So (he-he) NO reedition on WINTER & WINTER to expect.

Heu, could get you phone number of JMS, or his fax number if you wish...

But the guy seems to have run out of bussiness (Brownie do you know something about?)

Seemed strange, but I was so tired last night I didn't note your error!

David, if you need a burn, you know where to ask.

Listening to this one:

B000042OSL.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's GREAT! Rudd and Lacy make a very good team (no, I haven't got "School Days" so far, but I will get it).

But then Aebi is just downright awful! Eeeeeeeek, get her out of this disc! And did you note, there has been additional recording done, "Irene Aebi vocals". The photos in the booklet make you believe they were there, all together in the studio, but either she goofed while the band was around, or they had to do additional overdubs? Strange! Get her out! Give us all of this great session, but without her. PLEEEEEEAZE!

ubu

Listening to this one:

B000042OSL.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's GREAT! Rudd and Lacy make a very good team (no, I haven't got "School Days" so far, but I will get it).

But then Aebi is just downright awful! Eeeeeeeek, get her out of this disc! And did you note, there has been additional recording done, "Irene Aebi vocals". The photos in the booklet make you believe they were there, all together in the studio, but either she goofed while the band was around, or they had to do additional overdubs? Strange! Get her out! Give us all of this great session, but without her. PLEEEEEEAZE!

ubu

This is a wonderful disc indeed - warm and relaxed, and with very good sound.

As for Aebi being overdubbed later, who knows what was the reason... probably she was not in a good voice on the day when the band recorded... or Roswell Rudd might have had some totally disastrous experience with some female vocalists before, so he insisted that there would be no vocals while he is in the studio.

Now this is a very intelligent reply proving your awe-inspiring intellect! :g

Guess you're right, as the "...plus" is sort of "pasted" on the cover. Bert Noglik's liners refer to "Three Points and a Mountain" without any "...plus", too. But there is no comment on which tracks are CD only. However, there's some great music on this disc!

Now spinning:

parkerBirdsBlades.jpg

No real impression yet. Would need concentrated listening, I'm afraid, and I can't do that now.

ubu

... or Roswell Rudd might have had some totally disastrous experience with some female vocalists before, so he insisted that there would be no vocals while he is in the studio.

I won't reply to that...

... I know what you're referring to...

... get yourself a new pair of ears! ...

BASTARD!

ubu :rmad:

I go for something else, the Parker/Guy is no good background music!

Spinning the latest by Kenny Barron ("Images", Universal) - picked it up used, and I think it's quite good. It has Ann Drummond on flute, and Stefon Harris on vibes.

But then, I have a live recording of his "Canta Brasil" with Drummond, and an acoustic guitar player - I almost like that one better (don't have the "Canta Brasil" studio date, however).

(The name of the guitar player is Romero Lubambo, just came to my mind again)

ubu

From the Department of Possibly Stupid Questions:  3 Points and a Mountain... PLUS

What's the PLUS?

I would assume it refers to additional material not on original LP.

Correct. These three tracks: Flüchtige bären, The bar seems to vanish in the distance and Milan-Milan! were not on the original lp.