Bye Bye Jazz Bakery?

Adam

There was an article in the LA Times today that the Jazz Bakery in Culver City CA has lost its lease and will be closing at the end of May, but intends to reopen in the Fall.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et...0,5709736.story

This would be bad if it was gone forever.

And stupid that they want to open yet another furniture place there. There is a huge furniture store going out of business in the same complex, right around the corner.

this is very lousy news! i'm going to be there this coming Friday to see Ron, Mulgrew and Russell. their location has become a hip one instead of the off-the-beaten-track area it was just a few years back. there used to be one decent restaurant within walking distance and now there are at least four. this is a damn shame that they have to move, once again.

this is very lousy news! i'm going to be there this coming Friday to see Ron, Mulgrew and Russell. their location has become a hip one instead of the off-the-beaten-track area it was just a few years back.

Probably the reason they gotta move. Jazz thrives on cheap rent.

you're right. but they also have "thrived" all these years as they're a non-profit.

Oh, this is horrible news! For all its faults, the Bakery is my favorite venue for jazz in L.A.

I agree with everything you just said, Ray. This is very sad news.

Unless... the Bakery opens somewhere else closer to me! I love the Culver City space and vibe, but it isn't located near where I live these days... I used to live about 15 minutes away, but now it's more like an hour away (with good traffic).

Ruth mentioned she wants the new space to be "on the Westside", but who knows what will come of that... the rents there are nuts right now!

Cheers,

Shane

Oh, this is horrible news! For all its faults, the Bakery is my favorite venue for jazz in L.A.

I agree with everything you just said, Ray. This is very sad news.

Unless... the Bakery opens somewhere else closer to me! I love the Culver City space and vibe, but it isn't located near where I live these days... I used to live about 15 minutes away, but now it's more like an hour away (with good traffic).

Ruth mentioned she wants the new space to be "on the Westside", but who knows what will come of that... the rents there are nuts right now!

Cheers,

Shane

i believe the rents are the lowest they've been for quite awhile!

Yeah, for a San Diego/Oceanside boy who has regularly tripped to L.A. for jazz, some of my best memories involve the Bakery. In fact it was at this venue one early evening that I first met the charming Valerie B, if memory serves.

We saw a great duo performance featuring Mulgrew Miller and Steve Nelson.

Yeah, for a San Diego/Oceanside boy who has regularly tripped to L.A. for jazz, some of my best memories involve the Bakery. In fact it was at this venue one early evening that I first met the charming Valerie B, if memory serves.

We saw a great duo performance featuring Mulgrew Miller and Steve Nelson.

oh, my goodness, James. i confess that i remember our meeting (and dinner) well but damned if i can remember seeing Mulgrew and Steve as a duo that night!! and they remain two big favorites of mine these years later! guess you can take that as an obvious compliment!