You & I

fasstrack

This is a very understated performance,looks to be soon after the album Talking Book came out and from a TV appearance. Just Stevie singing one of his most beautiful songs IMO, no 'melisma', no production, just brass tacks: voice, piano and a pretty tasteful and non-intrusive superimposition of two dancers as the lovers. Very well done, I thought.

Okay fass, I'm really not that fond of watching things on youtube but I watched it just for you. This is a great song, so is Ribbon in the Sky (even though American Idol contestants have made it hard to listen to again and again!) Nice performance. I saw Stevie around this time. It was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever attended. He would talk softly, and the entire audience would silence completely to hear what he said.

It was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever attended. He would talk softly, and the entire audience would silence completely to hear what he said.

Reminds me of when I saw the Shearing Quintet.

I saw Stevie in (I think) '75. Unfortunately, it was not the kind of setting that inspired intimacy and soft talking. It was the Cow Palace in SF, and he was so far away, the binoculars someone brought didn't even allow me to see his expressions.

I used to play "Overjoyed" on a lounge gig back yonder ways. Helluva tune, that one is - meaty changes with an expanded form, both of which force you to think about the structure and direction of your improvisation, not just blow cliches that would work no matter what.

I used to play "Overjoyed" on a lounge gig back yonder ways. Helluva tune, that one is - meaty changes with an expanded form, both of which force you to think about the structure and direction of your improvisation, not just blow cliches that would work no matter what.
Yeah, they're pretty much all great tunes. You & I is one of my favorites---among many favorites. On Talking Book the wind up just gives me chills: his singing, the harmonic turns (deceptive cadences). This performance is so understated---no Cow Palace here. I can't handle those Big Events with all the pomp and a million people onstage. That's mostly how you hesar him for some time now. This is such a sweet alternative.

It was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever attended. He would talk softly, and the entire audience would silence completely to hear what he said.

Reminds me of when I saw the Shearing Quintet.

I saw Stevie in (I think) '75. Unfortunately, it was not the kind of setting that inspired intimacy and soft talking. It was the Cow Palace in SF, and he was so far away, the binoculars someone brought didn't even allow me to see his expressions.

I saw him in a very large venue and he was also far away. . . but he brought on/out that intimacy.

I saw him in a very large venue and he was also far away. . . but he brought on/out that intimacy.

You are lucky. I question the taste of some of the overbaked shows I've been seeing clips of. It's as if he became a Texan---where the 'do everything big'....

Um, Sangrey, after you shoot me for saying that you can raid my Wonderlove collection. It's in my will........

It's as if he became a Texan---where the 'do everything big'....

Um, Sangrey, after you shoot me for saying that you can raid my Wonderlove collection. It's in my will........

Wow dude, that's not much incentive to let you live now, is it... :g

Stevie's gotten "too big" alright, but I'm not talking about the shows, if you know what I mean.

Not that I have any room for talking. Or anything else for that matter...

(can we get a "fat" smiley in here?"

It's as if he became a Texan---where the 'do everything big'....

Wow dude, that's not much incentive to let you live now, is it... :g

Stevie's gotten "too big" alright, but I'm not talking about the shows, if you know what I mean.

Not that I have any room for talking. Or anything else for that matter...

(can we get a "fat" smiley in here?"

How about Smiley Winters? I doubt anyone will get that, so: I think he's (or was) a SF area musician. Pianist Mark Levine recorded an album wirh him, Smiley & Me. Now that I explained it I see exactly how much it sucks :crazy:

Yeah, Stevie and Aretha got mad big. Don't know why...............There's no sun up in the sky......

Like you said, a SF area drummer, hard-bop leaning towards semi-freeish kind of thing. Often had Sonny Simmons & Barbara Donald on his sides. No slouches or posers on board, ever. Just good, strong, local talent. Definitely a player and an output worth knowing, I think.

Like you said, a SF area drummer, hard-bop leaning towards semi-freeish kind of thing. Often had Sonny Simmons & Barbara Donald on his sides. No slouches or posers on board, ever. Just good, strong, local talent. Definitely a player and an output worth knowing, I think.
Thanks. Did anyone hear that recording with Levine? Nice cover shot. I kind of like Mark Levine. His record Up Til Now, from '76, I got for Tom Harrell and serendipously discovered a searching musician on both piano and trombone. Interesting composer snd presenter too.

Missed the one w/Levine, sounds good, though. Levine is also a player worth knowing.
Check out that LP, Up Til Now (Catalyst). It's probably out of print, though. It goes to interesting places. Great Tom. Some of the solos are in a collection of Tom Harrell solos. Nice work by Ray Pizzi, too, and I like Levine's writing. A nice project all around.