anyone have an iPod?

bluesForBartok

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra (40gb) for about 4 months now.

It hasn't given me any problems so far. I'm very happy with it. I admit, I do keep it in it's case all the time, but I do keep it in my backpack where it does get banged around a little.

I was concerned about the build quality, so I spent the extra $40 for the extended warranty. The player itself was only $250, so I think I got a great deal.

So far, I have 539 albums loaded on it, and I have 9.7 gb of space left.

These things were made for Mosaic sets. :wub:

I have the 20gb version for Windows and I gotta tell ya, it's just a great little contraption.

How many cd's that represents ?

In good quality MP3 format (192kbs), a 60 minute CD is compressed to ca 80MB size. So a 20GB drive holds up to 250 CDs. With typical 40 minute albums from the LP era or reduced bitrate it is more.

160kbs bitrate is still very close to CD quality, but at 128kbs (the typical bitrate for downloadable files) cymbals tend to sound crappy, even with cheapo earbuds.

Edited by Claude

maybe this summer, i would get one......the mini-version with 4GB or the 10GB normal version fits perfect for me....i don't need video-transfer, super-duper-features.....just good audioquality....i still got my big old akg C240 hearphones......i always looking very funny with 'em....i just need it for music.....

sure, i'm a appleholic

:P ..... :blink:

I probably do most of my listening on the iPod because I use it at work.

I ordered the Parker complete Savoy/Dial sessons (8 CDs). Those will be promptly poured into the iPod so that I can meditate upon Bird's genius constantly, no matter where I am, until I have dreams about Ornithology in the middle of the night...

This is a great toy.

Guest ariceffron

I JUST FOUND OUT WHAT AN I POD IS LAST NIGHT, AND I HAVE TO SAY, THIS IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE I THINK. I NEED THE 40GB ONE BAD. THEY ARE 500 BUCKS THOUGH. BUT I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED IT. THAT WAY I DONT HAVE TO BE PARINOID ABOUT MY CDS ANYMORE. I CAN HAVE THEM ALL IN THAT I-POD. DO YOU KNOW HOW FUCKING COOL THAT WOULD BE.

I've been using the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra (40gb) for about 4 months now.

It hasn't given me any problems so far. I'm very happy with it. I admit, I do keep it in it's case all the time, but I do keep it in my backpack where it does get banged around a little.

I was concerned about the build quality, so I spent the extra $40 for the extended warranty. The player itself was only $250, so I think I got a great deal.

So far, I have 539 albums loaded on it, and I have 9.7 gb of space left.

These things were made for Mosaic sets. :wub:

Mine just came this morning. NP: Don Cherry & John Coltrane - the Avant Guard. :party::party::party:

No, the data are on the hard drive, which keeps data without power. If the battery fails, the data can still be accessed by connecting the player to the power supply

But you loose your data when the Ipod gets lost or stolen, which happens much more often than battery failure. So always keep your files on backup CD-Rs, if they are not sourced from your audio CDs. The hard drive of your PC can fail too, so that's not a reliable backup either.

and you CANT replace I POD batteries? when they die do you loose all your data???

You have to send it back to Apple to change the battery for a fee.

I was talking to a friend yesterday, apparently the rechargable in my Nomad Jukebox Zen lasts about 4-6 hours longer than an IPod between charges.

• 4 weeks later...

I have birthday money in my hands and I've spent hours...many hours looking at all MP3 player options. Since I want to be able to use my MP3 player at the gym, as well as while traveling, relaxing, etc., I do not think I have a choice - my understanding is that all MP3 players with hard drives cannot be used while exercising (anybody know if this is true). Therefore, at the moment, I've leaning towards the iRiver iFP 795T (only 512 MB of storage, which I believe is about 17 hours' music). I like the fact that the iRiver uses a single AAA battery and has the FM tuner with recording capability.

Marla

Current issue of JAZZ TIMES has an article by the audio columnist about the iPOD. He liked it. I'm seriously thinking about one now.

I've been very satisfied with mine over the past month and a half. If you're the kind of person that walked around with a discman, some kind of hard-drive MP3 player really is essential. I almost never listen to CDs anymore, other than at home and in the car.

Guy

Since I want to be able to use my MP3 player at the gym, as well as while traveling, relaxing, etc., I do not think I have a choice - my understanding is that all MP3 players with hard drives cannot be used while exercising (anybody know if this is true).

I've done pretty much everything with the iPod. No problem exercising (running) with it whatsoever.

iPod is a strong buy.

my understanding is that all MP3 players with hard drives cannot be used while exercising (anybody know if this is true).

What kind of exercising do you do? I have a iRiver H120 with a 20GB hard drive and it is completely insensible to shocks. Shaking it has no incidence on the functioning. Jogging would be no problem. I wouldn't use it for that, because I have a lighter and smaller flash memory player. But shock-resistance clearly is not an issue, except maybe when doing mountain-biking on a extremely bumpy path.

Edited by Claude

my understanding is that all MP3 players with hard drives cannot be used while exercising (anybody know if this is true).

What kind of exercising do you do? I have a iRiver H120 with a 20GB hard drive and it is completely insensible to shocks. Shaking it has no incidence on the functioning. Jogging would be no problem. I wouldn't use it for that, because I have a lighter and smaller flash memory player. But shock-resistance clearly is not an issue, except maybe when doing mountain-biking on a extremely bumpy path.

I've gone jogging with my iPod and have never had skipping problems, though apparently some people do.

Guy

Thanks. I'm no leaning towards the iPOD mini and just deal wtih not having FM radio/recording capability. The other iPOD downside so far - cannot be hooked up to more than 1 computer, correct? I have Windows XP, not a MAC. The iRIVER 795T looks perfect for me, but 512 MB, according to the specs, only allows for approx 17 hours of music. So, looks like I might have to sacrifice bells and whistles for more storage.

Thannks for your comments/help!

Marla

The iRIVER 795T looks perfect for me, but 512 MB, according to the specs, only allows for approx 17 hours of music.

It's less than that in practice (10-12 hours), because 192kbs bitrate is preferable for MP3.

The iRiver players work like an external USB drive, the files are simply copied with Windows Explorer to the drive letter that appears when the player is connected. If you have the cable with you, you can connect to player to any USB-capable PC running Windows 2000 or XP (Windows 98/Me needs a driver installation) and copy music onto the player or from the player. You can even use the player as a data transport for any type of files.

With the iPod, a special software must be used to transfer music onto the player, and there are certain restrictions. Music cannot be copied from the player.

Edited by Claude

Thanks. I'm no leaning towards the iPOD mini and just deal wtih not having FM radio/recording capability. The other iPOD downside so far - cannot be hooked up to more than 1 computer, correct? I have Windows XP, not a MAC. The iRIVER 795T looks perfect for me, but 512 MB, according to the specs, only allows for approx 17 hours of music. So, looks like I might have to sacrifice bells and whistles for more storage.

Thannks for your comments/help!

Marla

Just my opinion but the iPod Mini is a serious rip-off. For only a fraction more, you get 3 times the hardrive space. It's a difference of like $50 between 5 and 15 GB. I mean seriously...