Miles plays Teo ?

medjuck

The Miles box sets make clear the extent to which Teo Macero created the structure of several numbers in the studio. But when Miles played these numbers live (as he did with only a couple) did he use the Macero created structure? it seems to me he did with It's About Time, but what about Bitches Brew?

"Shhh, Peaceful", as released on the LP, is virtually a re-composition by Teo. It was a great shock to hear the original in the recent box set - though even that sounds as if it has a splice or three (I don't believe that it is an "as it happened" version either). It is the most amazing editing feat that I can think of, and I also think that this LP version is way better than the originally planned version. Funnily enough, the repeated main theme that the musicians played does not even appear on the released track.

From what I can hear, live was a totally diferent animal. They stuck more to the raw materials. But that's a bit of an oversimplification, as they played "medleys" of the varying riffs and vamps, sometimes overlapping pieces. But there wasn't the "now you hear it, now you don't" element of the recordings.

Apples and oranges, judging from the boots I've heard.