Waltz For Debbie/ Lyrics

RonF

Whoa!!! Quite the reverse: Evans wrote the music. Lees added lyrics at a later point, upon the request of Evans.

Evans composed the piece as a dedication to his niece. I guess Lees was writing more from a theoretical viewpoint since he didn't know the *same* Debby (aged 3 when the music was written). He probably did meet Debby the person.

Mike

One of my favorite recordings of this song (aside from Evans' own, of course) is Johnny Hartman on "The Voice That Is." I sing this song to my daughter every night, by the way (her name is not Debbie, btw, but Samantha). When she asks for it, she asks for "Own Sweet World." Even though she's three and a half, she still wants me to hold her when I sing it. Imagine her shock when I was playing the Bill Evans/Tony Bennett album and that song started to play. She came running out of her room and cried, "He's singing "Own Sweet World!"" Like all kids, she probably assumed that I made that song up for her. It's so sweet! :wub:

One of my favorite recordings of this song: Oscar Peterson Trio (with Ed Thigpen and Ray Brown)

c8129480r8k.jpg

There are two sessions included in this 1996 Verve reissue, one from 1959 and one from 1962. Can´t remember where´s "Waltz for Debbie".

Edited by EKE BBB

I asked the best source I know, Erin Evans:

"You have it right. Bill wrote it when (or right after) a visit in Baton Rouge for Debby's 3rd birthday party (Debby is my older sister). It was the first time Bill met his niece. I actually have some great old photos with Bill and Debby at 3 from that visit. Debby has the original handwritten sheet music."

So it seems Lowe, who was indeed a very early (get it?) friend of Evans misappropriated the dedication.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the information. I wonder if Evans could have dedicated the song to two little Debbys (either that or Lowe was telling a little white lie). Trivial, but interesting...

"Very Early"... nice one. ;)

Alexander, I love the Hartman version as well. Thanks for sharing that story about your daughter. Sweet indeed. :)