New Organ Jazz Channel on AccuJazz.com

AccuJazz

Hey, Organissimo folks, it's AccuJazz programmer Lucas Gillan letting you know about our newest channel, which just went live today: Organ Jazz. It's all about the masters of the B3, from Jimmy Smith to Shirley Scott to Joey D. Check it out.

OrganJazz_JimmySmith_140x200.gif

AccuJazz Internet radio continues its weekly roll-out of new streaming jazz channels today with "Organ Jazz," an entire channel devoted to the incomparable sound of the Hammond B3 Organ. The channel is completely free to use and available 24 hours a day.

The organ took some time to become a well-respected jazz instrument, but thanks to the artistry of musicians like Jimmy Smith, Richard "Groove" Holmes, and Larry Young, it has become an essential part of jazz's recorded history. Recordings like Smith's "Back at the Chicken Shack" and Young's "Unity" are timeless classics beloved by organ experts and neophytes alike. Younger artists like Joey DeFrancesco, Larry Goldings and Chris Foreman are ensuring that jazz organ thrives in the 21st Century.

Stylistically, the channel ranges from down-home soul-jazz to postmodern funk-rock and plenty else in between. The inventiveness of jazz organists knows no bounds, and listeners will clearly hear the breadth of colors attainable by this often-misunderstood instrument.

"Organ Jazz" is the eighth channel in AccuJazz's "Jazz by Instrument" category, joining popular channels like "Piano Jazz," "Saxophone Jazz," and "Covering All the Bassists." It brings the total AccuJazz channel tally up to 33, with other AccuJazz channels including "Straight Ahead," "Regions: New Orleans," "Composers: Monk," and "Women of Jazz." Listen to "Organ Jazz" now at AccuJazz.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this guy actually reads threads here, so he won't see that comment.

Well, I read threads here from time to time. Admittedly, it often happens when I am showing up to let you folks know about a new channel. But I got some serious help from forum members a while back when I was trying to find recorded examples of vocalists being backed up by organ trios, in preparation for an upcoming gig with just that instrumentation.

Anyway, sorry if it ever seems like I'm a spammer. I am a real, jazz-loving human being. I just think that the people willing to take time to look at a discussion thread called "Jazz Radio and Podcasts" would probably be interested in our subchannels.

Oh, and BTW, we are playing Organissimo on the Organ Jazz channel and others, including the main channel, New School, and Groove Jazz. Great stuff!

Wow...thanks!!!! That's REALLY cool. Love how the catagories break down. And to have a channel for jazz organ itself, that's AWESOME!

I'm glad you're digging the channels! We're still working to get even more organ jazz on there as time goes on, so keep listening!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this guy actually reads threads here, so he won't see that comment.

Anyway, sorry if it ever seems like I'm a spammer. I am a real, jazz-loving human being. I just think that the people willing to take time to look at a discussion thread called "Jazz Radio and Podcasts" would probably be interested in our subchannels.

Oh, and BTW, we are playing Organissimo on the Organ Jazz channel and others, including the main channel, New School, and Groove Jazz. Great stuff!

It's all good. :tup

~

I keep forgetting to look for the new Bill Heid.