All Night Long (1962) film soundtrack

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm asking an appropriate question.

I am desperately searching for the above soundtrack on CD. It is now out of print. The film is an alternative take on Othello and stars Patrick McGoohan as the Iago character ('Johnny Cousin' - hence my nickname!)- he also does play drums in parts of the film and makes a pretty good job of it, considering he isn't actually a drummer! - but the film has fantastic cameo appearances from real jazz musicians - such as Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus and Johnny Dankworth - and some great jazz music.

The closest I've got is a second hand copy on vinyl, on eBaY - but I don't have a record player!

Can anyone help? :rolleyes:

Many thanks!

This interesting recording was reissued in 2003 on Harkit Records CD (HRKCD 8095). It features Dave Brubeck, John Dankworth, Tubby Hayes, Charles Mingus, Ronnie Ross, John Scott, Kenny Wheeler, and many others. It's OOP, and I'm still looking for an available copy.

allnightlong_main.gif

This site lists the personnel on each cut on the soundtrack, with sound clips for 6 of the 16 tracks: microgrooves

Oh, and welcome to the board cous'. your question was indeed appropriate. next step is to teach you the secret handshake. bring rubber gloves!

Edited by robviti

more info for interested parties:

All Night Long

Unavailable since 1961, beautifully repackaged (with Benny Green's original liner notes) and now remastered in digital stereo, this is one of the greatest British jazz movies. In a converted warehouse in London's Dockland's jazz enthusiast Rodney Hamilton stages an all-night anniversary party for successful black jazz pianist Aurelius Rex and Delia, his devoted white wife who gave up her singing career for matrimony. Johnny Cousin, Rex's jealous drummer (played by Patrick McGoohan), schemes to break up their marriage by attempting to persuade Delia to sing in a band he would like to start, but she refuses. Spreading rumors about Delia's infidelity, Johnny edits a tape recording of Delia and Cass Michaels, Rex's saxophonist and business manager, to make it appear that they are having an affair...

"The action takes place against a backdrop of almost continuous jazz sessions, which seems to involve almost the entire upper echelon of the contemporary jazz scene: Dave Brubeck, Johnny Scott, Johnny Dankworth, Tubby Hayes, Stan Roderick to name but a few. The fantastic music played by this wealth of talent was written mostly by Philip Green (he appears on the credits of all but three of the tracks), Dave Brubeck and Johnny Dankworth with other credits to Sonny Miller, Kenny Napper and Tubby Hayes.

'Overture' is a wonderful roaring trumpets introduction rooted firmly in the 1960s, but has a timeless energy. For 'Noodlin'' and 'Saphire' the mood is more intimate with Tubby Hayes stroking the vibes in the first track and Johnny Scott oozing the alto-sax in a smooth romantic fashion in the second. John Dankworth's composition, 'Fall Guy', gives the saxes and the trumpets an opportunity to compete in successive frenzied solos while in 'The Chase' massed saxes and trumpets combine to create musical mayhem... the music is brilliant, natural and fresh... For any fan of 1960s jazz this is a must-have CD."

there should be a law that any review describing a CD as a "must have," must have a link showing you where you can have it! ^_^

You might try the Jazz Record Mart (in Chicago). Their on-line system says they have a copy in stock (the CD issue), but I just called the store - and the guy who answered the phone checked the racks and couldn't find it. I mentioned to him that their website seemed to think they had it in stock, and he said something to the effect that they didn't control the website. (?)

In any case, you could try ordering it from them (through the web-site), and see what happens. Or else give 'em a call, and then push a little harder on them than I did, or ask 'em what happens if you buy something through the web-site that it turns out they don't really have in stock. In any case...

Good luck!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The AMG seems to think it was also released on CD in 1997, supposedly Universal 5529222.

Never mind, that seems to be this compilation (same title, but totally unrelated)...

1.: Love Supreme - Downing, Will

2.: All Night Long - Mary Jane Girls

3.: My One Temptation - Paris, Mica

4.: Rock Me Tonight - Jackson, Freddie

5.: Rain - Jones, Oran 'Juice'

6.: Treat Her Like A Lady - Temptations

7.: Thinking About Your Love - Thomas, Kenny

8.: Come Into My Life - Sims, Joyce

9.: Joy And Pain - Maze & Frankie Beverly

10.: I Want Your Lovin' - Hairston, Curtis

11.: Secret Lovers - Atlantic Starr

12.: Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - Grant, David & Jaki Graham

13.: Dancing Tonight - Galaxy & Phil Fearon

14.: You're Lying - Lynx

15.: Medicine Song - Mills, Stephanie

16.: She's Strange - Cameo

17.: Respect - Adeva

18.: Good Life - Inner City

19.: Nights Of Pleasure - Loose Ends

20.: Love Town - Newberry, Booker III

Edited by Rooster_Ties

(Supposedly) there are are two or three 'used' or 'collectable' copies available from third-party sellers on Amazon France .com

CLICK

No idea if any of these are real, as it's not unheard of for third-party venders to list things they really don't have (but think they can order). Still, the two used copies are cheap enough that I'm wondering if they might actually really be real.

There are two versions of the film itself out on DVD but only region 2 (UK and Western Europe)*. I'm intrigued enough I might order a copy the next time I place an order with Amazon.co.uk.

* As I've said before, if you love film, it is worth investing in a region free player that can handle PAL/NTSC conversion.

There are two versions of the film itself out on DVD but only region 2 (UK and Western Europe)*. I'm intrigued enough I might order a copy the next time I place an order with Amazon.co.uk.

* As I've said before, if you love film, it is worth investing in a region free player that can handle PAL/NTSC conversion.

Do you mean 2 different DVD releases or that the film is different in each release?

Do you mean 2 different DVD releases or that the film is different in each release?

My understanding is that it is the same basic film, but marginally different package (a trailer in one case, no real bonus features on the other one).

Hello, about the DVDs - the Carlton print has only the theatrical trailer, whereas the Network one also has a great stills gallery! I have both :=)

I have 2 great lobby cards from eBaY and narrowly missed getting a copy of the programme - I was outbid whilst at lunch :=(

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note to say that the soundtrack is available through iTunes but to US buyers only. I am lucky enough to have a fellow fan in the US who is kindly copying the tracks onto a CD for me. I hope others outside the US will be able to get the soundtrack that way pending the re-release of the CD. Another vinyl copy has turned up on eBaY so maybe the CD will be re-released in time....keep the faith!

Rooster, thanks again for all your info. :=)

• 3 months later...