Baby Monk? Baby Bird?

minew

I have a seven-month-old who enjoys the music from the Baby Mozart and Beethoven discs. I'm also trying to work some jazz into his listening and thus far he has exhibited a distinct taste for trad, especially early Armstrong. He also seems to like country (must be my wife's genes).

Anyone else with young'uns who like the music? If so, what seems to appeal to them?

And if Mozart makes him smarter, what will jazz do for him? ;)

When my two year old was in his first year, we used to listen to a lot of jazz (we still do). He loved it!

Some of his favorites were:

Flip Phillips - Best of the Verve Years

Lee Konitz - Motion

Johnny Hodges

He really seemed to like stuff of the small group variety. If there was too much going on, he didn't get into it. He also really likes organ jazz. He loves Lou Donaldson's early sixties stuff, like the Natural Soul.

And... he digs classical too, not symphonies, but string quartets. Lately, I've been playing a lot of Haydn and Handel for him.

On a recent family trip I was listening to Miles Davis Vols. 1 & 2 on my MiniDisc player. Just for fun I put the headphones on my 2 year old niece. She got up started dancing and walking around the room with me trailing behind her with the player in hand. Every time I tried to take the headphones off she looked up at me and said, "Music!" This went on for about twenty minutes. Long enough for here to hear:

Dear Old Stockholm

Chance It

Donna

Woody 'N' You

Yesterdays

How Deep Is The Ocean?

I think 'Donna' was her favorite.