Portrait of Cannonball: mono?

medjuck

Yes that album is in mono. Parallel recordings on mono and stereo machines were common until the late 1960's, not just for safety reasons (as the new stereo tape recorders often malfunctioned), but because stereo turntables were still not that widespread and the market for stereo LPs was small.

I can't recall reading about the specific circumstances for that album - maybe the stereo machine didn't work properly, or the tapes were lost ... what I did notice besides that it is in mono is the comparatively low sound quality - a problem that quite a few Riverside LPs suffer from. Low tape quality etc. due to small budgets ...

Riverside started doing some recording in stereo in early 1957, but not at all sessions. And, as was said, their stereo machine did malfunction at times. For example, it acted up at the Monk's Music session (1957) and the one with Monk and Mulligan (also 1957), and the Bill Evans Trio session where they did "Autumn Leaves" (1959). So some tracks from those sessions only exist in mono.

Blue Note sessions were all recorded in stereo from about May 1957, but Prestige did hardly any in stereo until about March 1958. The only stereo Prestige session from 1957 that I know of is the John Coltrane "Wheelin' And Dealin'" session (with Paul Quinichette and Frank Wess).