New Sonic Youth THE ETERNAL out June 9

Big Al

From the Dallas and Austin Concerts thread:

The Eternal is supposedly their best in some several years, a phrase which I've heard many a time and I don't think they've really caught a good stride since about 1996. But still, it's SY... so I'll probably buy it.

Oh I plan on having it in my hands on the day of release, and I think SY is the only group whose recordings compel me to do that. AFAIC, they've been on a roll since Murray Street, with each album getting better and better. So yeah, I'm excited about this one!

From the Dallas and Austin Concerts thread:

The Eternal is supposedly their best in some several years, a phrase which I've heard many a time and I don't think they've really caught a good stride since about 1996. But still, it's SY... so I'll probably buy it.

Oh I plan on having it in my hands on the day of release, and I think SY is the only group whose recordings compel me to do that. AFAIC, they've been on a roll since Murray Street, with each album getting better and better. So yeah, I'm excited about this one!

I kind of feel the same way Big A. I like what they've been doing. I had no idea another album was in the works.

I've listened to it 3 times now and I really like it!

I'm terrible at music explanation, but it has a real "no wasted notes" feel but still

strongly reminiscent of their late 80's work.

They seem to really have a grasp on being able to graph their own personal style

on top of whatever historical rock era that they want to explore.

For example, on "Anti-Orgasm", it begins with a real 60's garage band sound

with flirtations with 80's No-Wave and then, 3 and a half minutes into

the song they drop down in intensity and they start tugging at 70's Kosmische musik!

Some of this leaks into other songs like "Antenna" which mixes Neu,

the Velvets with Flying Nun label sensibilities in a 6 minute track.

Anyway, there's much more here and it grows well - I like it!