Turntable advice needed

Michael Fitzgerald

Disclosure: I am definitely not an audiophile (as you will soon read). I am not looking for the kind of thing that will set me back thousands of dollars, nor am I bothered at all by the fact that I'm not listening to my LPs with the best equipment. I'm not buying new vinyl or $30 vintage LPs in mint condition.

Here's the situation: my trusty Technics SL-QD22 turntable is dead. First the automatic lifter stopped working a while back, now something must have snapped because the weight at the back of the tonearm is pulling the whole thing up (these could well be related). Plus it could use a new cartridge.

Last year a friend gave me a Philips AF-777 which at the very least needs a new cartridge (the one on it is an Audio-Technica AT100e, which I can't find anything on even at the A-T site). Suggestions? This machine has many more features than the old Technics. Am I correct in thinking that any half-inch mount cartridge will work with this? Is there more to worry about with this than on the P-mount system I'm used to? There is a dial on the turntable marked spherical or ellipt./CD4 (I think CD4 refers to the dreaded Quad) - what is this number (0-3) - can't be tracking force, right? There is a gauge marked tracking force but I haven't figured out how it works. (Obviously I didn't get an owner's manual with this.)

The Technics is direct drive and the Philips is belt drive, which I've never dealt with - belts are probably an added thing to worry about and another item to be discontinued and hard to find.

I don't know which of these is worth the investment. I was perfectly happy with the Technics, purchased around 20 years ago. Plays those gems I pick up for $1.99 just fine.

If the Philips is some kind of great turntable that is worth the effort, I'd be glad to get the improvement - but I haven't been able to find much info on the web on this model. It does appear to be more sophisticated - but maybe it's old 1970s technology that had improved by the time of the Technics. Otherwise, I'll just get the Technics repaired - somewhere.

Thanks for any advice -

Mike

Mike, can't answer most of your questions, but I recommend going to Audio Asylum Vinyl thread and asking there-- you might get more infor (or most likely opinions) than you can deal with ^_^ but you will probably get your questions answered as to the technical details.

As far as belt drive, the best TTs are typically belt drive. You need not or shoukld not shy away from them. In fact, belt drive is usually easier to fix than DD.

If you are more than just a very occassional vinyl listner, you should really consider getting yourself something like a Rega P2 or MMF 2.1, both very reasonably priced. The audio payoff makes such a move worthwhile, even (or especially ) with those $1.99 gems (hell, I try to get mine for less :D )

Oh yeah, here the link [url=http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html]

Edited by Leeway

Am I correct in thinking that any half-inch mount cartridge will work with this?

Yes

Is there more to worry about with this than on the P-mount system I'm used to? 

No

what is this number (0-3)

Anti-skate-set it at whatever your tracking force is, for now.

Cartridge suggestion- Here

The Technics is direct drive and the Philips is belt drive, which I've never dealt with - belts are probably an added thing to worry about and another item to be discontinued and hard to find.

Wash it and replacements are not hard to get. Needle Doctor.com

Very decent tt can be had for $400. Get yours set up correctly with a new cartridge or you'll damage your LP's.