Maiden post - from NZ

St.Noah

G'dday to the JazzWise (and the otherwise) from Auckland - just discovered this forum today, looks like fun. I present a 2-hour Jazz Show on the Auckland University student station roughly one Sunday in three - click my signature below to see yesterday's playlist.

Not sure how much time I'll have for in-depth posting folks, but I'll be here as and when.

Anybody here like (guitarists) Jean-Paul Bourelly and Jef Lee Johnson? - just two of my faves for starters.

Go well people

Jim

I like Jef Lee Johnson's sideman work with Ronald Shannon Jackson quite a bit. I saw him live with the Decoding Society at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth, around 1988 or '89 I think, and he impressed me. I bought a couple of his early solo albums but could never connect with the style of his leader dates though--I've kind of lost track; the last recording I recall with him on it was James Carter's Layin' In the Cut.

Welcome to the board - nice playlist.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I've heard a bit of Jean-Paul Bourelly, I have a copy of Trippin.

Trippin'!! OK - that's quite an early JPB, I have it too, on Enemy if I'm not mistaken. The title track's a strong groove. He later made a string of albums for DIW, all cracking stuff IMHO. Here's his most recent: jeanpaulb3.jpg

I like Jef Lee Johnson's sideman work with Ronald Shannon Jackson quite a bit. I saw him live with the Decoding Society at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth, around 1988 or '89 I think, and he impressed me. I bought a couple of his early solo albums but could never connect with the style of his leader dates though--I've kind of lost track; the last recording I recall with him on it was James Carter's Layin' In the Cut.

Never seen him, so I'm duly envious. Layin' In The Cut is a fine album. Jef Lee has also released a bunch of stuff on Dreambox Media out of his home town of Philly, and his latest is a strong recommend: 51RMN8B5PQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Recommended

41Y61MFE3ZL._SS500_.jpg

Totally agree! - fantastic album!

Very cool dudes

Jim

PS as you might have guessed I'm huge on guitarists.... any Fiuczynski fans lurking here? Blood Ulmer? Love 'em all!

Edited by St.Noah

Yes, I'm a fan of James Blood Ulmer. I especially like the Odyssey band, his recordings with George Adams, and the more recent blues recordings with Vernon Reid.

I also had the opportunity to see him live four or five times at the Caravan of Dreams in the 1980s--I recall seeing three versions of the Odyssey band with Charlie Burnham on violin--the original trio, a quartet version (with Amin Ali added on bass guitar), and a quintet version (with a keyboard player added).

Thanks for all your words of welcome people!

I'll be in the hot seat this Sunday 12th from 12-2pm local NZ time (and probably for the next few as the other 2 guys - both drummers - are busy with gigs/festivals/recording sessions thru July).

Give me a call in the studio! (+64 9 309 3879)

Any requests? No promises, naturally, but if I play it I'll mention your name and the Board on air.

All the best

Jim