Duke Ellington Reprise set

Philip

I got mine last week. It's wonderful, of course. Much of it is the Ellington band doing pop hits or other bands' signature tunes, and of course there's the Mary Poppins LP. Only Ellington could have pulled that off, and he did. The Ellington Orchestra in the early to mid-60's was a hell of an outfit, and you can really appreciate the sheer beauty of their sound, as well as Ellington's and Strayhorn's arranging chops (the Mary Poppins stuff is really an example of turning sows' ears into silk purses).

The set also includes "Afro-Bossa," which has little to do with Africa or Brazil, except for omnipresent percussion, but is a must-have album, and the jazz violin album with Grappelli, Nance, and Svend Asmussen on viola.

I got this box a couple months ago and just opened it today, and I'm very impressed. This is actually my first time hearing Duke Ellington in a big band setting :w . I decided to buy something I was totally unfamiliar with for my last Mosaic purchase, and I'm glad this was it. I just finished listening to "Afro Bossa" and am now listening to "Mary Poppins," and all the music has been great so far, and the sound is excellent too.

I also found the booklet very interesting too. Since most of the music in this box was recorded more than a decade before I was born, I found the information about the musical landscape in the early-to-mid-60's very interesting. Anyway, if anyone's thinking about getting this box, please do before it's gone, and you'll be glad you did.