The annual Winter Welcome thread.....

Well, can't say that I was too impressed. I used to love this thing several years ago. Doesn't seem like the formula has varied all that much from year to year. As I get older, though, I have come to appreciate excruciatingly hoppy U.S. beers and very dry European pilsners (Veltins, Paulaner, Staropramen, etc.). Makes Winter Welcome taste awfully sweet by comparison. Not so much a knock on Smith as it is a testament to my evolving palete. Who knew?

I've tasted various flavors of Samuel Smith's. They are all good. I'm sometimes not a lover of oatmeal stout but Samuel Smith's is quite good.

I've never tried the Winter Welcome. Does it vary by year? Is the brew supposed to be a little different each year? What's the story? :huh:

I'd never heard of this stuff until last year when I read about it on some jazz bulletin board; the name escapes me at the moment ;) . I thought it was pretty good stuff, so I'll be looking for it again this year. At my approximately a beer a week consumption level, I don't expect my palate to develop too much!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess winter has finally hit us here in New York. Here's the view from my window an hour ago...

It looks cool, but I have a gig tomorrow night in East Willamsburg, Brooklyn. And I live in NJ....and I would have to go a 1/2 hour out of the way to pick up the soprano player.

As I look out my 8th floor window....white out conditions - I can't even see the building across the street.

It looks like this gig is postponed!

It's also too bad, I was looking forward to this. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...