Sam Rivers On A Joe Cocker Record?

JSngry

My wife and were watching TV one night and there was a Joe Cocker concert on PBS. We were laughing about the fact that he sang his biggest hits early in the show.

I could just see being at the concert and turning to her saying "He's done a Little Help From My Friends", "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" and "You Are So Beautiful" - Are you ready to go?"

"Yup!" :tup

It kind of reminded me when I saw Paul McCartney in 1993. The place was packed when he was doing the Beatles and Wings numbers, but when he started doing the material from his newest album, there was a constant stream of people going to the bathroom, etc... :lol:

But seriously, folks...

I'd like to know the confluence of events, connections, etc. that led to Sam getting contracted for a Joe Cocker date, especially if it was just as a section player.

I suspect that Sam Rivers appearance was limited to an overdubbed soprano solo on THE JEALOUS KIND and that probably he was there as a result of arranger and Co Producer Richard Tee's contracting the horns for a sweetning date.t There are 3 or 4 studios mentioned in the credits. The Rhythm tracks at least were apparently done in Jamaica and finishing touches added in Manhattan....and that is where I suspect Sam entered and the horns were added. I wouldn't be surprised if some research turned up an earlier album of some sort where Tee and the other Stuff guys worked with Sam. Those guys recorded with everybody in Manhattan in the 60s and 70s.