The town I grew up in...

As far as I can recall, the 'machine' fell apart after Ralph Dawson died, but that was after I'd left already. Once the interstate was finished, Ludowici lost all of that New York-Florida snowbird traffic, and a lot of income, of course. But then, it's not like that income ever made it into the city coffers.

By the way, the pastor mentioned in the article (no one ever proved one way or another whether he was actually shot at or if he staged the shots, at least while I was there) was the pastor at the Methodist church I attended. In fact, Lester Maddox came to speak at the church one night, and (believe it or not) I was in the choir. I was enjoying the buzz and excitement like everyone else until Maddox entered the church and marched up the aisle to the pew, and saw his infamous ax handle in his hand (google Maddox, if you don't know the story of the ax handle). I couldn't believe that the asswipe was bringing such a symbol of hatred into a church. Or that no one seemed to mind or thought it unusual.

As for the shot at the preacher, it's not like violence was unexpected there; the local opposition paper had just been burned to the ground and put out of business. For a small town, it was an exciting time to live.

Edited by Jazzmoose