England Vs. Australia Cricket - Ashes

But have you ever seen a more arrogant muppet than Flintoff?!!

As should be clear by now, I am no fan of boofhead sports arrogance and gamesmanship.

Hence my treasonous support for anyone who plays Australia.

However, there is something quite genial and a sense of playfulness about Flintoff's antics that makes it easy to accept them as harmless, and quite different from the sort of thing that gets up my nose.

As you say, "I didn't know that guy until last week", so it's quite unsuprising you could misread him on such short acquaintance.

One, BIG, ameliorating Flintoff factor came at the end of the previous Ashes series in England, won by the home side. As his mates celebrated, Flintoff offered commiseration to one of the vanquished batsmen, Brett Lee:

52152.jpg

Pretty funny, this is ...

When the dossier penned by former Aussie opener Justin Langer - compiled while he was playing county cricket and cataloguing in unflinching detail the supposed and multiple failings of the English (general all-round spinelessness, bootlace staring, lax personal hygiene, poor cooking skills, obesity, laziness and much more) - the response around Australia was much guffawing and righteous smugness.

Since the Oval Test and resultant series/Ashes loss?

Not a bloody word!

Haw! :w

One, BIG, ameliorating Flintoff factor came at the end of the previous Ashes series in England, won by the home side. As his mates celebrated, Flintoff offered commiseration to one of the vanquished batsmen, Brett Lee:

52152.jpg

Can't fault that. The two teams seem to have got on very well IMO. Some of those previous team clashes could get pretty heated (and I'm thinking in particular of the era of Dennis Lillee/Jeff Thompson/Rod Marsh v T Greig & co. and the infamous Botham/Ian Chappell spat).

No doubt the inevitable 5-0 drubbing on Aussie soil to come in response, in 18 months time. ;)

Cheers things up over here for a few weeks though, until Gordon Brown gets back from his 'work experience' !

I hadn't realised there was a cricket thread here! Although I am not a huge fan as there is no culture of cricket in France, I have enjoyed watching the last match of the series and I am chuffed England beat the Aussies. What a beautiful performance from Stuart Broad. But have you ever seen a more arrogant muppet than Flintoff?!! I didn't know that guy until last week but never before in my life had I felt this irresistible need to punch somebody's face! His body language and his silly postures when celebrating really made me cringe. :tdown Is this guy really a national hero? If it is the case, no wonder that English sportsmen have got the reputation of being arrogant.

Anyway, it's nice to see the whole country delighted and elated by the victory. Next stop: Football World Cup? Come on France and England!

Very interesting article about Fred by his former England team-mate Matthew Hoggard here:

www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/422066.html/

Pretty funny, this is ...

When the dossier penned by former Aussie opener Justin Langer - compiled while he was playing county cricket and cataloguing in unflinching detail the supposed and multiple failings of the English (general all-round spinelessness, bootlace staring, lax personal hygiene, poor cooking skills, obesity, laziness and much more) - the response around Australia was much guffawing and righteous smugness.

Since the Oval Test and resultant series/Ashes loss?

Not a bloody word!

Haw! :w

Langer wasn't very happy about that being made public, not when he'd be facing all those blokes on the county circuit in the weeks ahead.

I don't know if you listened to any of the tests on BBC's Test Match Special, but Langer's old mate Hayden did quite a bit of commentary. He came across a nice enough bloke, but boy did he talk some crap. If he wasn't endlessly regurgitating management speak about "execution/skills/processes" (he's obviously read a lot of self-improvement books), he digressed constantly about food, or children's films. One could almost hear his co-commentators squirming at times.