Jazz and animals

EKE BBB

I have played the circus many times and have to say it is truly a gig from hell! Yes, it was a gig that helped to pay the bills, but there wasn't much that was fun about it. Pretty much nonstop playing with barely enough time to turn pages. The worst thing is that after playing like 10 shows over the course of a week the music sticks in your head.

Once I was a little too close to an elephant that apparently had some kind of explosive diarrhea. It wasn't pretty.

The circus is one of those gigs that seems to always come at a time when you need the money, but it is also one of those gigs you hope you don't have to do too many times in your lifetime. Much more fun to go as a spectator.

Plus, clowns are kind of creepy.

Never played a circus gig, but I played a week with the rodeo in Athens, Georgia around 1979 or '80. We would play a super-fast circus march until the cowboy fell off whatever animal he was riding, then play a chord. I still know the first strain of a bunch of circus marches* - but only the first strain, since none of the cowboys ever made it to the second strain.

*I still love "Rolling Thunder."

Plus, clowns are kind of creepy.

Kind of creepy? Outside of mimes, I can't think of anything creepier. Come to think of it, they even top mimes. If Guantanamo Bay was full of clowns, I'd have supported George Bush 100%, no matter what else he came up with.

Would you have to waterboard them with bucketfuls of confetti?