Red Richards

thomastreichler

I came across three solo albums by Red Richards on the Canadian Sackville and the French Black & Blue labels. I know Richards primarily from his recordings with Panama Francis' Savoy Sultans and the Fletcher Henderson All Stars). Can anyone comment on these solo piano releases and/or recommend other records by Red Richards?

Edited by Tommy T

I came across three solo albums by Red Richards on the Canadian Sackville and the French Black & Blue labels. I know Richards primarily from his recordings with Panama Francis' Savoy Sultans and the Fletcher Henderson All Stars). Can someone comment on these solo piano releases and/or recommend other records by Red Richards?

I remember Red's playing on a Ruby Braff date from Storyville in Boston early 50s - came out on Savoy....also fine work with Muggsy Spanier - mid 50s on Decca.

I came across three solo albums by Red Richards on the Canadian Sackville and the French Black & Blue labels. I know Richards primarily from his recordings with Panama Francis' Savoy Sultans and the Fletcher Henderson All Stars). Can anyone comment on these solo piano releases and/or recommend other records by Red Richards?

I have these 3 Red Richards CDs on Sackville.

LULLABY IN RHYTHM

DREAMY

These 2 are solo piano sessions. As John Norris accurately states in his booklet notes,

"Still evident in Red Richards playing is the bustling energy of Harlem's Renaissance period as well as the quiet understatement of a musician who has found a style which complements his own personality."

On DREAMY, Red adds his charming vocals to two of the 15 tracks.

ECHOES OF SPRING

This is a quintet session. Red on piano and vocals is joined by Norris Turney on alto sax, Claude Williams on violin and vocal, Dave Green on bass, and Joe Ascione on drums. Only 3 of the 10 tracks have vocals.

All 3 CDs feature a well rounded selection of tunes.

I have these 3 Red Richards CDs on Sackville.

LULLABY IN RHYTHM

DREAMY

These 2 are solo piano sessions. As John Norris accurately states in his booklet notes,

"Still evident in Red Richards playing is the bustling energy of Harlem's Renaissance period as well as the quiet understatement of a musician who has found a style which complements his own personality."

On DREAMY, Red adds his charming vocals to two of the 15 tracks.

ECHOES OF SPRING

This is a quintet session. Red on piano and vocals is joined by Norris Turney on alto sax, Claude Williams on violin and vocal, Dave Green on bass, and Joe Ascione on drums. Only 3 of the 10 tracks have vocals.

All 3 CDs feature a well rounded selection of tunes.

Peter, I'm sure you remember Red's work with The Saints and Sinners, a lovely little mainstream group of the '60s with Vic Dickenson, Herman Autrey, Buster Bailey or Rudy Powell, Dan Mastri and George Reed/Jackie Williams or George Foster on one session.

They did an eponymous LP for 77 Records (UK 1964/65), Saints and Sinners in Canada (Cav-a-bob Records 1967, which eventually led to the formation of Sackville), and The Saints& Sinners In Europe (MPS Germany in 1968). I don't think any of them has turned up on CD, and that's a shame: it was a terrific little band, under Red's musical direction.

That release of Red Richards with Norris Turney and Claude 'Fiddler' Williams was originally a Dutch radio recording...

Red was a charming, always-smiling gentleman, and a real entertainer who loved to perform. I recorded him for broadcast on many occasions at Toronto's Cafe des Copains and Montreal Bistro.

They did an eponymous LP for 77 Records (UK 1964/65), Saints and Sinners in Canada (Cav-a-bob Records 1967, which eventually led to the formation of Sackville), and The Saints& Sinners In Europe (MPS Germany in 1968). I don't think any of them has turned up on CD, and that's a shame: it was a terrific little band, under Red's musical direction.

There was at least one more Saints and Sinners lp on Seeco, The Saints and Sinners Catch Fire at the Sheraton. Nice record recorded live at the Sheraton in Pittsburgh.

I saw Red play many times in the 60s with Max Kaminsky's band at Condon's. He also did some recording with Alberta Hunter for Columbia that Chris A. produced.