Ornette Coleman article

I enjoyed the article, as it reminds me that thanks to the Caravan of Dreams, from 1983 to 1986 I was so exceedingly fortunate as to see Ornette perform with Prime Time in the club on no less than five occasions, and also once in the Theatre there providing music for a play. Not to mention, I saw Ornette play there with Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden, and finally a single set performance with Charles and Charnette Moffett. Some of those Prime Time sets are among the greatest I've heard (better than any of their recordings, what a powerful group.)

What made this article even more special was the fact that it ran on the front page, with a huge spread usually reserved for major news storis.

My first thought, sad to say, was that Ornette had passed away and this was the local paper's way of paying tribute. Thankfully, that wasn't the case at all. In fact, it was quite nice for the fact that the article existed just for the sake of profiling a jazz legend. Nice way to start a Sunday!