Leroy Jones

thomastreichler

Our trio (piano, bass, drums) was acting as "resident" or "house band" on a River Jazz Cruise on the Saône and Rhone rivers in southern France last week, playing as a trio as well as accompanying visiting guests such as trumpeter Leroy Jones, his trombone playing wife Katja Toivola, Bob Wilber and the incredible french alto-sax player Daniel Huck. Being amateur musicians with full time day jobs, this was a great experience for us and getting compliments like "you swing like hell" and "you're a great rhythm section" made us proud.

Until now I never have payed much attention to Leroy Jones. This was a fault because Leroy is a great player with hints of Clifford Brown, but at the same time very aware of the traditions especially of his hometown New Orleans and of its most famous son Louis Armstrong. Besides that he is a very nice person (as is his wife).

Are there any oppinions here on Leroy Jones and/or cd recommendations?

Edited by Tommy T

Daniel Huck is the guy from the Anachronic Jazz Band, right? I just got that double disc set, haven't listened yet... congrats on such a cool gig, had no idea you were a performing musician... no gigs in Zurich?

You are right regarding Daniel Huck.

We are not performing that much, but if, it is in the greater Zurich area (look for "Wim's Jazz Express" in the "Jazztime" magazine).

I like Leroy's playing - he's got a compact (rather than brassy) tone. Like a lot of the younger/middle-aged New Orleans trumpet players, he seem equally aware of traditional styles and bebop - I hear both Louis and Brownie in his playing. He sounds good in person playing in a traditional New Orleans setting because he doesn't play loudly - he makes it easy to get a good ensemble balance.

Of the recordings I've heard, I like Mo' Cream From the Crop on Columbia (oop, but readily available for cheap) and Shake That Thing by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band - he plays on several tracks of that one, which is a really excellent album.

And my rarest New Orleans brass band record is probably by Leroy Jones and the Hurricane Brass Band from 1975 - all kids, most of whom went on to great things on the New Orleans scene. It's pretty wild and wooly.

I'm a big fan, saw him a couple of times in N.O. when I have been there for Jazz Fest

He made a couple of records for Columbia, Props for Pops and Cream of the Crop.

Nowadays his records come out on small N.O. labels, they can generally be found at the Louisiana Music Factory.

Do a search here Louisiana Music Factory

He is also featured on the Yockamo All Stars CD.

There is also a Danish Big Band album on Storyville featuring him in a tribute to Louis Armstrong.

I like Leroy's playing - he's got a compact (rather than brassy) tone. Like a lot of the younger/middle-aged New Orleans trumpet players, he seem equally aware of traditional styles and bebop - I hear both Louis and Brownie in his playing. He sounds good in person playing in a traditional New Orleans setting because he doesn't play loudly - he makes it easy to get a good ensemble balance.

That's exactly my impression too: His style is an amalgam of Louis and Clifford Brown, and he has a very soft tone even when playing high notes.

Daniel Huck is the guy from the Anachronic Jazz Band, right? I just got that double disc set, haven't listened yet...

Huck is also playing (and singing) admirably on two albums by the French Ornicar Big Band: "Jazz Cartoon" and "A la poursuite de l'incroyable Huck", both on Big Blue Records (out of print, but used copies can be found on priceminister.com).

Edited by Tommy T

Funny you should bring Leroy up. He's playing at the Marblehead Jazz Festival this Saturday evening (10/10) and I'm thinking about going. It's been a while since I've seen Leroy but the last time I did, I thought he was channeling Armstrong pretty strongly. If he's still singing, he emulated Louis's rasp pretty good too.

Kevin