It's spring and a young man's attention turns to..

Yikes, Chris. Any recommendations? You are talking about one of my heroines!

I would strongly recommend her only ECM solo album, "Somewhere Called Home". Norma, Tony Coe an her ex-hubby, John Taylor. A mixture of standards and jazz tunes she's put words to by the likes of Ralph Towner, Kenny Wheeler and Egberto Gismonti. The final track is a version of 'Tea for Two' that is recommended to all red-blooded males!

Possibly more immediate (especially to those not attracted to ECM recordings) is "Well Kept Secret" - a mainly standards disc she recorded in the States with Jimmy Rowles just before he died. Fabulous record - as well 'Joy Spring' it has her arrangement of Rowles' 'The Peacocks' (called 'A Timeless Place') that has been widely covered.

She's recorded widely with John Taylor and Kenny Wheeler as Azimuth and in collaboration with Canada's 'Maritime Orchestra'. She has this amazing ability to move between standards and more abstract music. The last time I saw her (last October) she was involved in a project doing interpretations on a wide range of Wayne Shorter tunes.

In the last few years she's done a couple of nice discs with Fred Hersch.

She has a new disc due shortly and another promised with UK pianist Nikki Iles.

Details here:

http://www.normawinstone.com/home.htm

There aren't discernable seasons in Los Angeles, so listen to what I feel is appropriate on a day to day basis. :rsmile:  :alien:  :eye:  :bwallace:

Gosh!

I can't imagine a year without seasons!

You should have lived in the Imperial Valley in California.It's one of the many reasons I'm glad that I don't live there anymore.

I remember my one and only visit to Wisconson in late October. The leaves had turned color about two weeks ago, but they were still colorful. I mean, this life-long Californian's jaw just hit the ground in stupidified wonder :o . I could not, and still cannot believe, that anything could look the way those trees did. That was my one encounter with being in a place where fall really meant something.

I live in the Southern Hemisphere, so it is Autumn music for me.

I guess I'll have to listen to Autumn Leaves.

Sorry Geoff,

I was being unintentionally hemispherist!!!!!

Shut your eyes, play a few spring tunes and imagine you're up this end of the world for a moment.

Incidentally, I didn't think Sydney had seasons. Whenever we see it on the TV people are on the beach!

I live in the Southern Hemisphere, so it is Autumn music for me.

I guess I'll have to listen to Autumn Leaves.

Sorry Geoff,

I was being unintentionally hemispherist!!!!!

Shut your eyes, play a few spring tunes and imagine you're up this end of the world for a moment.

Incidentally, I didn't think Sydney had seasons. Whenever we see it on the TV people are on the beach!

well Sydney does have seasons, be in less pronounced than England, America's East Coast (eg New York).

Today's morning was rather chilly in Sydney.

Of course chilly by my standards is anything under 20 C ;)