Triple Trumpets: Night Lights fund-drive appeal

ghost of miles

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope...it's a late-evening, 11 p.m. Saturday jazz program being asked to raise $1000 in a single hour. Why? Because that's how much you've supported Night Lights before--that's how much WFIU believes that you believe in the value of a weekly, thematic, lovingly-detailed historical jazz show--so I've been asked to reach that goal again. I'll be broadcasting live this evening from 11-midnight U.S. EST, playing music from the Miles Davis Kind of Blue legacy edition, Kenny Dorham's Round Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia, and Freddie Hubbard's 1969 concert CD Without a Song (offering all of these as thank-you gifts, by the way). Three great trumpeters, heralding you to pledge your support to Night Lights...you can do so by calling toll-free 1-800-662-3311. You can also pledge online here or here (be sure to write that your contribution is meant for the Night Lights program):'

I'm really hoping to hear from some Organissimo posters tonight! But if the late hour daunts you...if "round midnight" is a better jazz theme than it is a listening time...then please, feel free to pledge now at the links above. (And listen to some shows in the Night Lights archives while you're at it.)

I'm so grateful for all of the support that this show garners...your contributions and your notes mean a great, great deal. It's one reason why Night Lights is now on 13 stations (including one in Manila!) and why you're able to hear the show archived online every week. It's one reason why I think it's worth sometimes putting in 30 or 40 hours of work on a single program. It's one reason why I think we'll make the $1000 goal yet again tonight.

So I hope you'll decide to support Night Lights for another year. But most importantly of all, thanks simply for listening. (And for helping--several Organissimo posters have provided significant assistance for the production of certain programs.)

David

Edited by ghost of miles

Up for one last day and night--any contributions made to this Night Lights page over the next 24 hours will count towards the goal for tonight's live broadcast. On deck for the show: MINGUS AH UM, SKETCHES OF SPAIN, and KIND OF BLUE Legacy editions, all being offered as thank-you gifts. Many thanks to the two Organissimo board members who pledged last weekend. :tup

Edited by ghost of miles