April Listening

This afternoon's selection for a rare midweek day off: B)

Duke Pearson: Wahoo

Lester Young: Complete Verve Studio, disc 3

Illinois Jacquet: Jumpin' At Apollo

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton: Katanga

Thad Jones: The Magnificent Thad Jones

I've been listening to Grant Green's "Am I Blue" a lot. Often described as a lame, snoozer session but is actually one of my favorite all-time Blue Note's. Go figure.... Anyway, I think everybody on this session is right on the money as far as the gameplan goes. And the sound is really quite beautiful. Joe Henderson and Johnny Coles sound great together and blend very nicely on the ensemble passages.

Grant is his ever melodic self. Always amazes me how restrained everyone is on this session. The true hallmark of masters at work imho. not a note from anyone of these guys rings false. and isn't that the point anyway. patton's so damn in the pocket and churchy, i can't imagine another organist on this session.....

I just got the Grant Green box set in the mail yesterday. A really nice collection. The first two discs are all organ dates, the third is piano quartet and trio dates, and the fourth is sessions with horns. And the pictures are all fabulous! So that will no doubt be what I'm listening to this weekend. :g:g:g