Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land "Blow Up"

undergroundagent

An excellent date. Maybe not an A++ performance, but grade A material in my book. Good price too. I had this years ago, loaned it out, never got it back (and the guy moved away), and had to pay about $25 for another one on eBay a few years later. No regrets for having made the second purchase, other than (obviously) the added expense.

Good selection of tunes too, I might add. Great version of Blow Up.

underground,

Never heard this one before but Harold Land is one of my favorites. I think he is another of the most underrated players of his day. I have never heard anything that he did that was a disappointment. His other efforts with Hutcherson were very enjoyable.

Can't see how you could have missed on this one. Be sure and let us know. :g:g

Can't see how you could have missed on this one.

Easy enough - it's a bootleg.

Not that I know anything about stuff like that... ;)

Jim,

I am not saying I don't know how he missed this one, rather, I can't see how he could miss with this one since it is probably very good. Just a point of clarification.

Nice to know it is a bootleg. Wondered how I had missed a Harold Land!

Thanks for the info.

Can't see how you could have missed on this one.

Easy enough - it's a bootleg.

Not that I know anything about stuff like that... ;)

Jim,

I am not saying I don't know how he missed this one, rather, I can't see how he could miss with this one since it is probably very good. Just a point of clarification.

Nice to know it is a bootleg. Wondered how I had missed a Harold Land!

Thanks for the info.

Just playin' with you bro'.

I stumbled across this one entirely by accident about 10 or so years ago in the Austin Tower (not the Austin Powers!). I had driven down there to browse and pick up some legit import releases and stuff like that. Well lo and BE-hold, they had an impressive selection of "grey market" items such as this.

There went the budget!!!

So, what do people who have this disc (or a burn of it), what do you think of the performance?? I've always liked it, quite a bit actually.

Generally I think this band (with Land, recorded live in 1969 - meaning this particular disc, the JMY release) is a bit tighter (and the performance a bit better), than Hutch's 1973 performance/recording with Woody Shaw at Montreux (the one on BN).

(Still wouldn't give up either of them, cuz any Woody is worth having, doncha know!!! :wub: )

It's been a while since I checked it out. I remember liking it well enough, if not loving it.

Now, that Montreux thing is SICK. Woody came to kill, and kill he does. I don't think there's a comparison really. But like I said, it's been a while since last I heard BLOW UP, so don't quote me, ok? :g

I also think Blow Up is tighter. Love it! It's just as good as the Medina Conn (besides the sound of course, but it is alright, however I'm far from being an audiophile).

The Montreux, great as it is, is much less organized, a much looser affair, I think.

Bu I'd have to listen to both of them again to make more precise comments.

Nice find, however, undergroundagent!

(I found mine used very cheap, a year or so ago)

ubu