Need some consolation ...

neveronfriday

Is it just me, or are there other people out there who completely blow the roof off their budget when sales comes around?

Have you ever gotten the shakes because you know you shouldn't have ... but did?

Did you ever hope that not a single unexpected bill would pop up because it might have forced you to relocate to that place under the bridge around the corner because you blew every cent on music (= two Beatles boxed sets where one would have sufficed)?

Have you ever had that "Christmas" feeling (any time of the year) when a new boxed set, a rare release or just a "goody" appeared on your doorstep?

Is there any cure for this affliction?

Am I normal?

Should I leave the house more often?

;)

I've never gotten myself into financial trouble, if that's what you mean. But I do try to split sending items to my house and to my work, so that my wife isn't always seeing delivery packages (and this is after cutting way back from a few years ago). I guess that is the sign of an addict.

The sales pitch can be awfully strong. Just the other day I was walking by a place that had Oriental rugs for 80% off. I was mightily tempted despite the fact that a) I know intellectually they must have raised the sticker price by 40% or more, b) I don't really have room for an Oriental rug unless I got rid of a different run and c) with two small children it would get ruined anyway. But in the end, I was able to walk away.

Gee... I guess we can have ourselves sent to the same asylum some day... just make sure to bury that back-up HD under the bridge before it's too late, so we'll have some music in there... :crazy:

Asylum?

We could call it "our clubhouse".

The "back-up HD under the bridge" is a good idea, I just need a bridge long enough to bury 18 HDs beneath. ;)

I had gotten a grip on my shopping sprees for a long time, but these past two or three months, the offers have simply been too enticing.

:)

I've never gotten myself into financial trouble, if that's what you mean. But I do try to split sending items to my house and to my work, so that my wife isn't always seeing delivery packages (and this is after cutting way back from a few years ago). I guess that is the sign of an addict.

The sales pitch can be awfully strong. Just the other day I was walking by a place that had Oriental rugs for 80% off. I was mightily tempted despite the fact that a) I know intellectually they must have raised the sticker price by 40% or more, b) I don't really have room for an Oriental rug unless I got rid of a different run and c) with two small children it would get ruined anyway. But in the end, I was able to walk away.

Financial trouble isn't really the issue all the time, but I've gotten close once or twice in respect to my strict monthly budget (I have enough to cushion extreme sprees). ;)

I haven't been in the rug squeeze yet (although, in Germany, every single one of those creepy rug shops seems to have everything on discount 24/7/12. I've been wanting to upgrade my stereo though for a long time, and there's this special (French) Atoll Electronique offer (amp + CD player) at the moment which is extremely hard to walk away from. :)

I haven't been in the rug squeeze yet (although, in Germany, every single one of those creepy rug shops seems to have everything on discount 24/7/12. I've been wanting to upgrade my stereo though for a long time, and there's this special (French) Atoll Electronique offer (amp + CD player) at the moment which is extremely hard to walk away from. :)

I actually had to get a new printer -- not by choice -- but because Dell decided not to pay their techies to upgrade the drivers on the older printers for Windows 7. Thanks a bundle, Dell. That's the last time I will ever be a customer of yours. I put a Canon printer in my Amazon cart at a very good price, and when I woke up on Black Friday it was $25 less. The price on printers has gotten so insanely low that for many brands it is almost like razors and razor blades. The printer is nearly free, and they make their money back by selling ink!

I actually had to get a new printer -- not by choice -- but because Dell decided not to pay their techies to upgrade the drivers on the older printers for Windows 7. Thanks a bundle, Dell. That's the last time I will ever be a customer of yours. I put a Canon printer in my Amazon cart at a very good price, and when I woke up on Black Friday it was $25 less. The price on printers has gotten so insanely low that for many brands it is almost like razors and razor blades. The printer is nearly free, and they make their money back by selling ink!

Yep.

Had that with every printer until I bought myself a Kyocera years ago.

Have been a happy camper ever since (mine is the old workhorse, FS-1030D).

Edited by neveronfriday

I'm pretty good at controlling my purchasing impulses. Whenever I see something on sale, I remind myself that even with the discount, I'm still spending what I would not have spent otherwise for something I probably don't need. BTW, I've tried getting my significant other to buy into this, without results. Women see things differently. For them, it's not about the money you spend, it's about the money you save. Like the man says, Venus and Mars.

Women see things differently. For them, it's not about the money you spend, it's about the money you save.

.....except when the money is being spent on them as opposed to on themselves , when saving , far from being laudatory , is cause for hurt feelings !

Like the man says, Venus and Mars.

.....are alright tonight .

Wish I hadn't listened to what the man said....