BFT 69: The Reveal

Hot Ptah

Ray Anthony wasn't a bad guess for #1, then.

You could have posted the different sections as successive posts in one thread. I suspect it would be a good idea for us to merge these threads into disc 1 and disc 2 threads. I'll be happy to do that later.

MG

MG, Please merge the threads. I did not what to do so I set up too many threads. I just kept getting Error messages and muddled through.

On this comeback album for a seminal Jamaican ska group,

It wasn't a comeback album. The real comeback was in 1983, when the band reformed to play at Sunsplash, Montego Bay. They cut the live album "Stretching out" (ROIR) in June and July of that year, as part of the runup/rehearsals for that gig and the subsequent London Sunsplash. One of the Sunsplash gigs was recorded but I don't know which, and they also made a studio album for Island "Return of the big guns" in 1984. SUbsequently, they moved operations to the US and recorded "Ska voovee" for Shanachie in 1992/93 (there's no recording date on the sleeve).

(Just so's you know :))

MG

Thanks for that information. The Shanachie packaging had a bit of hype in it, then.

8. e45828l4mxj.jpg

Mambo a la Tito, from Carnival, (released 1999, Charly Schallplatten GmbH), by Tito Puente

This is from the British compilation Carnival, which has a lot of great music and no discographical information, not even recording dates.

There is no listing of musician credits on the album. However, I have read that musician credits were sometimes not written down at the time when Puente made his earlier recordings. Many of the songs on Carnival are from the late 1940s and early 1950s, of the ones which I have heard on other albums. But some of the Carnival selections are from the 1960s. In the amazon.com listing for Carnival, it states that these are Puente recordings on the Fania and Seeco labels—but I am not sure that is correct.

I was hoping that the Organissimo community would know when this was recorded and who the baritone saxophone soloist is. I am guessing Mario Rivera, just because he sounds like him to me, but I am not sure. This cut is maddening to me. I cannot find any conclusive information for it online.

I sent out emails to some Latin jazz experts, who said that they would get back to me on this, but they have not done so yet. If I get more information, I will post it later.

I had a feeling it might be Tito, but I've only heard more recent stuff of his so far. In view of what you say about how fruestrating the sleeve notes are on this compilation, I'll try to find some other compilation from the same period :)

MG

If you have more luck than I did, please share your information!

Sly dog. I thought I was the only guy in Johnson County with a copy of Drab Zeen.

Shouda paid more attention to it and nailed that one.

Also shoulda nailed the cut from Weird Nightmare, which I reviewed for a certain local publication when it was new.

Somebody else said it already, but it bears repeating: Thanks for truly bringing the spirit of the BFT to life here.

And I've actually been to Shidler, Okla., this year. Didn't see any beavers, though.

I like Drab:zeen. It has some elements which I often don't care for much in music, but I like the way that they are used on Drab:zeen. It's a fresh sound, to my ears.

I think I'd like it, too, if there was a little less of a programmed feel about the samples, etc.. There certainly are a lot of good musicians on it!

Edited by seeline

11. pccy-30142.jpg

Voce a Buso, from Jazz Poet, (Timeless, 1989) by Tommy Flanagan

Tommy Flanagan—Piano; George Mraz—Bass; Kenny Washington-Drums

Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim.

I have always thought that this was a beautiful recording. I am impressed that seeline correctly identified the artist, album and song title.

I have a correction to offer here, but first I just want to say that this track is a longtime favorite of mine, and I thought about including it on my blindfold test (#3).

The song ("Você Abusou") was not written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, but by the duo of Antonio Carlos & Jocafi. They recorded it in 1971, and it went on to become a very popular song, and I believe a big hit by vocalist Maria Creuza. At any rate, the "Antonio Carlos" part was correct, but it wasn't Jobim. Somebody made a mistake on the credits for "Jazz Poet".

Edited by Jim R

11. pccy-30142.jpg

Voce a Buso, from Jazz Poet, (Timeless, 1989) by Tommy Flanagan

Tommy Flanagan—Piano; George Mraz—Bass; Kenny Washington-Drums

Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim.

I have always thought that this was a beautiful recording. I am impressed that seeline correctly identified the artist, album and song title.

I have a correction to offer here, but first I just want to say that this track is a longtime favorite of mine, and I thought about including it on my blindfold test (#3).

The song ("Você Abusou") was not written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, but by the duo of Antonio Carlos & Jocafi. They recorded it in 1971, and it went on to become a very popular song, and I believe a big hit by vocalist Maria Creuza. At any rate, the "Antonio Carlos" part was correct, but it wasn't Jobim. Somebody made a mistake on the credits for "Jazz Poet".

Thanks for that information. All this time, I had been thinking, that Jobim, he just wrote so many good songs, including some I did not even know about.

Sly dog. I thought I was the only guy in Johnson County with a copy of Drab Zeen.

Shouda paid more attention to it and nailed that one.

Also shoulda nailed the cut from Weird Nightmare, which I reviewed for a certain local publication when it was new.

Somebody else said it already, but it bears repeating: Thanks for truly bringing the spirit of the BFT to life here.

And I've actually been to Shidler, Okla., this year. Didn't see any beavers, though.

Is the dance hall/pump station in Shilder still there?

Thanks for the positive comments.

When I searched for Drab Zeen in Google, one of the few print references to it was an article years ago in the Kansas City Star, not a music article per se, but more of an article about global commerce. I wonder if we both bought Drab Zeen after reading that article.

8. e45828l4mxj.jpg

Mambo a la Tito, from Carnival, (released 1999, Charly Schallplatten GmbH), by Tito Puente

This is from the British compilation Carnival, which has a lot of great music and no discographical information, not even recording dates.

There is no listing of musician credits on the album. However, I have read that musician credits were sometimes not written down at the time when Puente made his earlier recordings. Many of the songs on Carnival are from the late 1940s and early 1950s, of the ones which I have heard on other albums. But some of the Carnival selections are from the 1960s. In the amazon.com listing for Carnival, it states that these are Puente recordings on the Fania and Seeco labels—but I am not sure that is correct.

I was hoping that the Organissimo community would know when this was recorded and who the baritone saxophone soloist is. I am guessing Mario Rivera, just because he sounds like him to me, but I am not sure. This cut is maddening to me. I cannot find any conclusive information for it online.

I sent out emails to some Latin jazz experts, who said that they would get back to me on this, but they have not done so yet. If I get more information, I will post it later.

First of all, that's a more recent recording. Definitely. So not Seeco & less likely Fania. But...

The tune itself shows up on this DVD: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:jifpxzqkldfe

which seems to be an accompaniment to this album: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:diftxqqgldje

The tune itself is not on the album, but the album appears to be all vocal. The brevity of this cut would make it a nice track to roll opeing credits over. So it might be that this cut was from the same session, in which case, here's your personnel, including Mario Rivera: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...txqqgldje~T20BC

The 1991 recording date makes more sense relative to the recording quality than does the Amazon blurb.

8. e45828l4mxj.jpg

First of all, that's a more recent recording. Definitely. So not Seeco & less likely Fania. But...

The tune itself shows up on this DVD: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:jifpxzqkldfe

which seems to be an accompaniment to this album: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:diftxqqgldje

The tune itself is not on the album, but the album appears to be all vocal. The brevity of this cut would make it a nice track to roll opeing credits over. So it might be that this cut was from the same session, in which case, here's your personnel, including Mario Rivera: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...txqqgldje~T20BC

The 1991 recording date makes more sense relative to the recording quality than does the Amazon blurb.

I listened to online samples from that 1991 album, and they had a different overall band sound to them than the cut I included on the Blindfold Test, to my ears. I do not think that the 100th Album version is the version I included. However, I do not have the DVD to play repeatedly to be sure.

Edited by Hot Ptah

When I searched for Drab Zeen in Google, one of the few print references to it was an article years ago in the Kansas City Star, not a music article per se, but more of an article about global commerce. I wonder if we both bought Drab Zeen after reading that article.

Actually, Drab Zeen was a gift from a friend -- who probably saw the mention in the Star.

Shidler, OK, is a strange, haunted place. Just driving through, you get the sense that it must have been a real hub of activity decades ago. There were some huge oil fields nearby, but the boom is long past. I had no idea there was a dance hall. I imagine it's ruins now, like much of the town. The surrounding countryside, like much of Oklahoma's Osage County, is stunningly beautiful.

A little research suggests that Big Beaver is a nearby creek or river. There's a Little Beaver creek too. And apparently there was a Big Beaver School. Oh, the mockery its students must have endured!

Edited by Spontooneous

Actually, Drab Zeen was a gift from a friend -- who probably saw the mention in the Star.

Shidler, OK, is a strange, haunted place. Just driving through, you get the sense that it must have been a real hub of activity decades ago. There were some huge oil fields nearby, but the boom is long past. I had no idea there was a dance hall. I imagine it's ruins now, like much of the town. The surrounding countryside, like much of Oklahoma's Osage County, is stunningly beautiful.

A little research suggests that Big Beaver is a nearby creek or river. There's a Little Beaver creek too. And apparently there was a Big Beaver School. Oh, the mockery its students must have endured!

That is more, and better, information than I have ever read about the origins of the song title, "Big Beaver." I know a Wills fan who will be very interested in your first hand information about Shilder. Apparently none of Wills' biographers actually visited the city to learn more about the song title, "Big Beaver."

• 1 month later...

Hey Bill, now that the thread is back up, maybe it's a good time to make that correction on the Flanagan track before we both forget about it again. ;) I know you want to edit the Puente info also, but the Flanagan track is in a different post, and the edit should only take a minute. Just a thought.

Hey Bill, now that the thread is back up, maybe it's a good time to make that correction on the Flanagan track before we both forget about it again. ;) I know you want to edit the Puente info also, but the Flanagan track is in a different post, and the edit should only take a minute. Just a thought.

I have corrected the Tommy Flanagan track.

• 2 months later...