The most beautiful Maiden Voyage I ever heard

Ed S

Herbie Hancock and his trio played with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra 2 weeks ago, though I'm just getting around to posting about it now. The show was entitled Gershwin's World, so I expected, and got, lots of the material from that album. Very nice.

The second set, though, was stunning. They opened the set with a hauntingly beautiful performance of Maiden Voyage. Herbie began by paying a rather meandering solo that eventually gave way to the familiar chords that begin Maiden Voyage. The orchestra played the part that is usually taken by the horns in the melody portion of the song. The overall arrangement was superb, giving Hancock ample solo space. Just beautiful. They also played Nefertiti with the full orchestra and Hancock performed a fabulous solo reading of Dolphin Dance. :tup:tup

Edited by Ed Swinnich

The second set, though, was stunning.  They opened the set with a hauntingly beautiful performance of  Maiden Voyage.   Herbie began by paying a rather meandering solo that eventually gave way to the familiar chords that begin Maiden Voyage.  The orchestra played the part that is usually taken by the horns in the melody portion of the song.  The overall arrangement was superb, giving Hancock ample solo space.  Just beautiful.

Damn. I haven't listened to Maiden Voyage in a very long time. I'll go spin the RVG now.

Ed: I know there have been several CDs played-through since the Bud Shank set was available at the Mosaic site. Before your post today, I was listening to the Shank surfing music. I don't kow why, it was on my mind this morning. If I recall, I discussed the Shank with you at the BNBB when it was in the Last Chance category. Have you listened to the set much? Just wondering. It's intresting that I was listening the Shank box right when you decided to submit a new post to the board.

Edited by wesbed