Zappa Experts - What Is This Version Of...

JSngry

It sounds identical to my mid-90s Ryko CD of Cruisin' with Ruben and the Jets (and the track length is the same, both clocking in at 3:34). This is the most widely available current version of Cruisin' with Ruben and the Jets...I think this one is the much-maligned version where Zappa re-recorded the bass and drums in the '80s.

Dear Ding -

I know all that much. But the version on that YouTube clip has the vocal from the Ruben version, but not the exact backing track. The CD has redone bass & drum traxks (as well as some other changes), but this backing track is not grom either of those.

So the question is more accurately phrased as "from whence issueth the backing track of the version hear on the YouTune clip?"

It sounds identical to my mid-90s Ryko CD of Cruisin' with Ruben and the Jets (and the track length is the same, both clocking in at 3:34). This is the most widely available current version of Cruisin' with Ruben and the Jets...I think this one is the much-maligned version where Zappa re-recorded the bass and drums in the '80s.

Comparing it to the clip on Amazon, yes it is! But on this YT clip:

claims to be the CD version, and these versions differ significantly! Plus this site http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/misc/way_beyond.html does not mention how radically different they are, which means nothing in and of itself, but they're so anal about noting every minute difference, how could they miss a major difference like this?

So what, are there three different versions off Ruben now? the LP, the radically differnt CD, and one which is not so radically different?

This was never a favorite Mothers album of mine, so I've not bothered, but still...

Comparing it to the clip on Amazon, yes it is! But on this YT clip:

claims to be the CD version, and these versions differ significantly! Plus this site http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/misc/way_beyond.html does not mention how radically different they are, which means nothing in and of itself, but they're so anal about noting every minute difference, how could they miss a major difference like this?

So what, are there three different versions off Ruben now? the LP, the radically differnt CD, and one which is not so radically different?

This was never a favorite Mothers album of mine, so I've not bothered, but still...

So, I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, but here is my best guess:

In addition to the now-widely-available Ryko issues that were done in the mid-90s, Zappa also re-released most of his catalog on CD in the mid-1980s, very early in the CD era. One reason these issues were notable was that Ruben and We're Only In it for the Money had those notorious re-records done on them. My assumption is that he monkeyed with Ruben yet again when preparing it for its eventual reissue in 1995. The new bass and drums by Barrow and Wackerman were carried over for the most part from the '80s CD version...but then other changes were done as well. So that second YT clip, with its much more "explosive"-sounding snare drum, is likely from the '80s CD.

As for why the lukpac guys didn't catch it...it appears that they did not listen to that first generation CD in the case of Ruben. On their overview page they say:

I don't have any old versions of this disc. Given that all versions derive from the same digital remix, however, it's likely that they all are identical.

Thus this appears to be erroneous. They guessed that the earlier CD version must sound the same as the 1995 version, but it actually doesn't.

Edited by Big Wheel

That is indeed a most sane, sensible, and satisfactory explanation, even if it is a guess.

Gracias beaucoup!

Ugh, so if this subject wasn't complicated enough, what do I come across today but a blog post from some other Zappa fanatics who link to yet another YT video of this tune. This sounds a lot to me like the one I figured was the 1984 CD...but the uploader is claiming that this is the original vinyl. Does the vinyl version really sound like this?

Edited by Big Wheel

That is indeed a most sane, sensible, and satisfactory explanation, even if it is a guess.

Gracias beaucoup!

Ugh, so if this subject wasn't complicated enough, what do I come across today but a blog post from some other Zappa fanatics who link to yet another YT video of this tune. This sounds a lot to me like the one I figured was the 1984 CD...but the uploader is claiming that this is the original vinyl. Does the vinyl version really sound like this?

Yes, that is the way the vinyl sounded, with one caveat: it sounds like the mono version.