An odd Ornette recording

Guest Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

I just posted this in the "What are you listening to now?" thread. It's a very good recording but a total mystery to me where and when it was recorded.

Ornette Coleman - Jazz Masters 100 ans de jazz (e.f.s.a. collection)

This one's really strange... It sounds like the trio with David Izenson and Charles Moffett to me but there's no info in English. One of those discount-bin specials.

It's on an Irish label, Mandarim, and copyrighted 1997. But the notes (which look like an overview of Ornette's career and recordings) are in French!

The titles are:

1. In the Snow

2. Mis-used Blues

3. The Poet

4. The Duel

5. January

Does anyone know what the hell this is?

I think it's part of or around the recording time of this:

Ornette Coleman - Who's Crazy?, Vol. 1 (Jazz Atmosphere IRI 5006)

Ornette Coleman (as, tp, vln) David Izenzon (b) Charles Moffett (d)

Paris, France, early 1966

January

Sortie Le Conqard

Dans La Neige

The Changes

Better Get Yourself Another Self

The Duel-Two Psychic Lovers And Eating Time

** part of Affinity (E) AFFD 102.

Ornette Coleman - Who's Crazy?, Vol. 2 (Jazz Atmosphere IRI 5007)

Ornette Coleman (as, tp, vln) David Izenzon (b) Charles Moffett (d): same session

Paris, France, early 1966

The Lovers And The Alchemist (The Mis-Used Blues)

The Poet

Wedding Day And Fuzz

Fuzz / Feast / Breakout / European Echoes / Alone And The Arrest

** part of Affinity (E) AFFD 102.

from: http://borboletasdejade.blogspot.com/2009/01/ornette-coleman-discografia.html

Edited by jazzbo

Bill, if you want to call, I will translate the notes for you.

Years ago, when I was in South Africa, my buddies were big Bill Evans fans (and why not?). The Verve "At Montreux" LP had just come out (a very nice album, with Jack de Johnette on drums), and our drummer came up and said "What does the (Swiss French) announcer say at the start?", with a frustrated look on his face. So we stuck it on again, and the bit he didn't like was "Tous deux sont les partenaires (du pianist Beel Evans!)". Lotsa fun. [i don't think he said "Tous les deux", but I'd have to dig it out to find out.]

What does that mean, by the way, lol.

Added: Ooh, Jim, your italics aren't working today.

Edited by Shrdlu

Guest Bill Barton

Bill, if you want to call, I will translate the notes for you.

Years ago, when I was in South Africa, my buddies were big Bill Evans fans (and why not?). The Verve "At Montreux" LP had just come out (a very nice album, with Jack de Johnette on drums), and our drummer came up and said "What does the (Swiss French) announcer say at the start?", with a frustrated look on his face. So we stuck it on again, and the bit he didn't like was "Tous deux sont les partenaires (du pianist Beel Evans!)". Lotsa fun. [i don't think he said "Tous les deux", but I'd have to dig it out to find out.]

What does that mean, by the way, lol.

Added: Ooh, Jim, your italics aren't working today.

Thanks for the offer, man! I appreciate it. From my very limited knowledge of French, as I said, it looks like simply a basic bio/overview of Ornette's career and recordings though, probably not worth the trouble. It's a very good recording (well, if you're not a Moldy Fig :rolleyes:<_< ) and has quite a bit of violin and trumpet. Izenson is tha shytt...

I'm really happy to have it in the stacks taking into consideration the fact that the Jazz Atmosphere and Affinity releases are probably pretty hard to come by.

Edited by Bill Barton