Jump to content

B. Clugston

Members
  • Posts

    1,843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About B. Clugston

  • Birthday 03/07/1967

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Location
    Vancouver, B.C.

Recent Profile Visitors

7,847 profile views

B. Clugston's Achievements

  1. I’m looking forward to the 4 LP/3 CD set. Hearing Trane in his initial post-Miles career, an early draft of “Resolution” and the classic quartet ripping through “Good Bait” are enough to have piqued my interest, even through all the chatter and “Make it a double!” This is specialist’s terrain, the equivalent of Bird and Benedetti, so not for everyone, but for the committed, you can hear the brilliance straining through the murk. After the half-assed RSD “EP” with its weird marketing and predictable sad audiophile outrage, I was worried about this release, but I was glad to see the participation of Lewis Porter, who will ensure accuracy. I’m encouraged by the lack of mention of Mr. You Know Who and his tales of how he “discovered” the tape as well as accompanying essays by rock stars (“John Coltrane was touched by the hand of the creator”), peripheral people (“I once walked by the Jazz Gallery two days after Trane performed there”) and hangers on (“Cool man”). The USB stick is silly and the brass may prompt a health warning for Californians. UniVervesal figured they have to monetize this somehow and they just may well find paying customers. I do wonder about the sound quality on the remaining tracks. And likely some friendly Andorrans or even someone in a remote Swiss canton may release the rest at some point.
  2. Richard Davis played classical bass in orchestras, but I'm not sure what's on record. Buell Neidlinger, too. If you want to file Anthony Braxton's Composition 96 under classical, Bill Smith and Julian Priester are on it. Bill, as William O., has recorded a range of classical works, many of which are his own. Goodman with Bartok and Szigeti. Andre Previn. I love Mel Powell's Sonatina referenced above.
  3. I guess Time Further Out would be a smartass answer, but damn fine album as equally good as its predecessor. My vote goes to Jazz at Oberlin, with it's thrilling playing. It was both popular and acclaimed. You got to dig up the 10" version as well as Fantasy plopped the single version of "The Way You Look Tonight" on the 12", with precious minutes of one of Desmond's best solo excised! The Jazz at Storyville 10" John L posted above is also a great one. Those two Atlantics posted by Jim above are also among my favourite Brubecks.
  4. Strings is a great album. Love the lineup, especially Ray Nance.
  5. Vinyl Storage Solutions, based in Winnipeg, stocks outer sleeves for box sets. I've bought a few and can recommend--they come in super clear plastic. https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/box-set-outer-sleeves
  6. Steve Lacy said he sometimes joined Rollins on the bridge.
  7. In the case of most of these, no master tapes were harmed (or used) in the making of these restorations. I see WXU is continuing to not credit the actual engineers and producers who put these records out in the first place.
  8. Thanks for sharing. I've always enjoyed her work.
  9. That's sad news. Heck of a trombonist and he was a big highlight of Kamasi Washington's Heaven & Earth.
  10. "Sealed Mint Blue Note" = UA blue/white b label, warped vinyl.
  11. That's a great comparison and like Sanborn, he had pretty broad interests beyond his pastel jazz ride of the '80s. Besides the dates with Mariano, I really like the wild Round Trip with Chick, Vitous and DeJohnnette and Kenya Ya Africa, where Watanabe's quartet is joined by the Inter-African Theatre Group.
  12. That's a great way of putting it. I passed on buying the Record Store Day EP dressed up as an LP, but definitely would be into a digital release. Things were rapidly evolving for Trane in 1960 and would love to hear the mostly audible evidence.
  13. He wrote an awful book on Miles Davis' electric period, which was full of errors, such as wrong personnel, confusing Jumma Santos for Juma Sultan and descriptions/opinions that had no relation to reality. The large list of errors was compiled here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160427225113/http://www.miles-beyond.com/freemanerrors.htm
  14. Is Track 3 Kauro Abe? Great blindfold test. Really enjoyed track 2 and the heavy Basie vibe of track 4.
×
×
  • Create New...