BFT # 72 - DISCUSSION THREAD

DrJ

BFT # 72 is now up and running, with tons of help from Big Al (thanks!).

I will try and get discs out in the mail to folks that need them ASAP - though I'm on call all week and so it might possibly have to wait a few days before I can get to the post office.

As you'll see there's 2 CDs worth of material...and there is no over-arching theme to the collection, though there is sort of a mini-theme that emerges if some of the tracks are considered, I can elaborate on that later.

Basically, I just tried to share great music that I thought many might never have heard, and to cover a lot of ground in terms of eras and styles - I like it all.

I hope you have as much fun listening as I did making these discs, and eagerly await comments.

DrJ -- Thanks for a great BFT!

Just a note, there seems to be some information on each of these tracks, but I'm covering it up while I listen. Got "That Was Close" on the first cut. Otherwise, no peaking. Typically I listen once, but several tunes on this one had my going back for multiple listens. Overall, one of the more enjoyable BFTs in awhile -- a little something to please everybody.

Disc1

Track 1 - No idea, but very enjoyable.

Track 2 - This cooks, but there's something about it that is lacking, and it was omnipresent in the first cut. There's a rawness in that first cut that I'm just not hearing in this cut. It seems to want for a dose of the blues. Tenor is very familiar. A bit like Billy Pierce, but somebody definitely out of that Joe Henderson school -- maybe a bit too much. Could be later Joe, I suppose. The recording is hyper-compressed, and that's a factor in identifying the wound. I'm going to go with Joe -- it almost HAS to be. The rhythm section isn't doing anything for me. Maybe Joey Calderazzo on piano? Sounds like somebody post-John Hicks to me. The flavors are there, but not the taste. The whole tune is technically proficient and correct in every way, but just doesn't make me care. I'm not crazy about the guitar, but I'll give him props for having a more pure sound than most guys. Seems like everybody wants to be Ben Monder nowadays.

Track 3 - No clue; pleasant, but didn't make a lasting impression.

Track 4 - I like odd meter, but this seems trying to impose an odd meter over four not out of any inspiration. Tenor sound shows signs of Shepp, but lacks his balls. Makes me want to say Heinz Sauer, but seems to lack Heinz' technical proficiency. Nice ideas, but I'm not fully buying it. Could be later Benny Golson, but again, seems to lack the polish of his technique. I'll go with Benny. Not sure of the trumpet, very brassy sound. This seems like it should fire, but it's just not going there. Hmm... the Manteca quote is throwing me off -- doesn't seem like something Golson would do. I'm almost thinking someone more in the Bergonzi vein. Rhythm section strikes me as one of those mid-90s Golson bands, though.

Track 5 - I like this. Chords sound like Andrew Hill right off the bat. Tenor is working hard. I like him a lot, but almost because he doesn't quite seem to be pulling off what he's trying. Touches of Shorter, but the not-complete polish is more like Harold Vick. I don't think it's either. I like this guy a lot. That sounds like Freddie to me. The recording sounds like it wants that Blue Note sound. Had it on the laptop speakers, less on the headphones. Could that be Joe Farrell on tenor? Sounds like a pissed off Shorter, which is usually when I like him most. It's not Gilmore, so that rules out most of the Hubbard/Hill stuff I know of. I'll stick with Freddie on trumpet. I'm sticking with Andrew Hill on piano. Drums are confounding... touches of Billy Higgins, but it's not him. Maybe Joe Chambers? This has to be an Andrew Hill date -- that's got to be his tune. I had a Liberty era Blue Note (those horrible white covers with a picture that had nothing to do with the music) when I was a kid... forget the name. Is this that? No, that was Tolliver. Electric bass... hmmm.. Perhaps this is a later Hill date with younger guys? I'm perplexed, but I MUST have this if I don't already. Very intrigued. I'll stand by guesses of Hubbard, Hill and Chambers. Maybe Richard Davis on bass? It's not Sam Rivers on tenor, sound is too inside. MAN! This is killing me! (on my fourth listen!)

Track 6 - I know this piano player, but I'm not placing him. There's a pattern he's playing that reminds me of Austin Crowe, but it couldn't possibly be him. Very interested to learn who this is. The recording cut out during the fours, so I have no guesses to the drummer.

Track 7 - Skylark. Trumpet has that fat sound with the affected vibrato that makes me think of Ruby Braff. Not sure of the bari player, but he's so relaxed I think he may be asleep. :D That takes superior control to play the big horn that quietly. I know Chaloff could do it, but that'd just be a guess.

Track 8 - Hmmm... I'm liking it, but can't decide if it's an early recording of an established avant garde guy like Frank Lowe, or if it's an inside leaning guy playing out (and doing so very well). The ideas almost suggest David S. Ware, but the tone seems wrong, though it could be early David with Cecil Taylor. Ah! It *is* early David S. Ware! Sounds like Raphe Malik on trumpet, so I'm going to say this is Cecil's band, but I don't know what the recording is. I don't care -- I dig it! Serious drums... heavy handed, almost like Rashid Ali, but not quite THAT heavy. The feel of this is a lot like Cyrille's Metamusicians' Stomp, but those drums are way too aggressive for Cyrille. Man, I cannot WAIT for this reveal!!!!

Track 9 - Love the segue. Seriously, it's PERFECT! Man, this is just fun. I could spend all Sunday listening to this -- don't even take a set break, just go get a drink while the next guy solos; don't pick up the pace, don't play me a standard or a ballad, just keep it going. I'm definitely guilty of making this comparison too much here, but there something in that piano that has me hearing shades Jimmy Jones. Second trumpet sounds like Ruby Braff again. That tenor seems a striking amount like Buddy Tate. Is this from Buck meets Ruby? Hmm... now the tenor has shades of Lucky Thompson... shit! Sounds like Ruby again... what's the record with Lucky? A John Hammond date... damn! I give. I'm going to go with my first guess of Buck & Buddy and say Jimmy Jones on piano and Buddy Tate on tenor. Could that have been Edmund Hall on clarinet?

Track 10 - Nice voice. A bit of a poppy arrangement. No clue. I was going to say Chris Connor, but I like the voice better.

Track 11 - Sounds like Stanley Cowell's piano voicings. Argh -- electric bass... I'm guessing the guitarist's record because he's very up front in the mix and the horns are in the back. This reminds me a bit of some of Nate Morgan's stuff, but with more polish. I prefer the rawness of Morgan. The more soprano I hear, the less of it I want to. Since Lacy's passing Jesse Sharps is about the only guy that holds my interest on that horn. No idea on the trumpet. Somebody inspired by Woody Shaw. I like the 'bone; shades of Craig Harris, but seems to spend too much time in the mid-range of the horn for that to be right. Maybe Dick Griffin, but seems to be a shade more into technique than that. Not Cowell... somebody very hooked on McCoy. I'd enjoy him more if you cut off one of his hands. In fact, there's spots where the right hand sounds a bit like John Hicks, but the left hand is all wrong. I like busy piano and a hard hand, but this guy is just making noise. Yeah, he's lost me.

Track 12 - Right away, I like this. Something in the guy's touch. It stays too tame, but I think that's its intent. No idea on the trumpet, but really enjoy the piano. It's reminiscent of some of Art Farmer's later stuff in it's mellowness, but it didn't really resonate with me.

Disc 2

Track 1 - Billie's Bounce a la dissonance. I'm guessing either overdubbed, or two pianos; I'm leaning towards overdubbed because I'm not really hearing two personalities. Doesn't quite hit me where it's trying to. Huh... live, guess it wasn't overdubbed. No clue.

Track 2 - Heavy on the arrangement. Sounds like Phil Woods from the 80s, and/or a lot of Cannonball. That leads me to guess Jim Snidero. This is my least favorite Jazz period -- mid-80s (inside) to miid-90s. The avant garde stuff of that period appeals to me, but the vast majority of the in-the-tradition stuff just leaves me cold. This is perfect in it's technique, but it just doesn't SAY anything to me.

Track 3 - Shoot... that tune... is it Horace Silver? I love that song... damnit! What is it!? Joe Henderson? I like this, but I'm distracted by my inability to identify the tune. AH!!!!! Nardis!!!!! Man, that hurt!

Track 4 - This is odd, but I'm liking it. That's not a guitar sound I usually like, but the combination of the nylon guitar and whatever is making that deep drone is working for me. I like the bass. The guitar is grating on me the more I listen. There we go, there's that sound again -- I guess it's from the nylon string guitar. Overall, I like this a lot -- it's creative while staying mainly in the tradition. Lead guitar effects are a bit overdone, but I like the tune -- just needs some sweet bari sax!!!! ;) I'm hearing some Billy Higgins on those drums -- is that possible? Wish it didn't fade, that could go on for awhile quite nicely.

Track 5 - Huh... sounds like Rosemary Clooney to me, but that's nothing more than an uneducated guess. Tenor is familiar but not to a point I'm confident hazarding a guess.

Track 6 - I assume this is a private recording, because I can hear the audience very well. Very clean recording, though -- probably done by, or with permission of, the musicians. I'm guessing it's the tenor player's tune, he's more precise with the rhythm than the trumpet. Man, that drummer is *tight*! More shades of Golson, but doesn't quite hold that line. I'm going to take a wild guess of Lew Tabackin on a VERY good night. Drummer reminds me of one of Horace Silver's guys... Roger Humphries or somebody like that. In fact, is this a Horace tune? Perhaps that's it. Pretty burnin' cut.

Track 7 - This one just misses me. Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't hit me. If Jimmy Rushing jumped in and started wailing, I'd be all over it. Without it, just sounds too Les Paul-ish.

Track 8 - Like this immediately. The tenor's tone was very much shades of Albert Ayler on the intro. But then the rhythm kicks in and shows that I'm nuts. Love this. Tenor has a touch of Bobby Jones in there, too. Tone is a bit like J.R., but too aggressive in his approach. Time-wise it seems to fall in between those two guys. I'm stumped.

Track 9 - Newer, can tell by the drums. They mic every little piece of the kit now and it ruins the subtly of the instrument. The harmonies of the horns don't strike me much, but the interplay sections are beautiful. Those drums are just... blah. No life in them. Piano just isn't reaching me -- just suffered a power yawn that could pull a muscle. Sounds like Kenny Garrett on alto. I'm sorry, but this song could have been 4 minutes.

Track 10 - I'm Getting Sentimental Over You. Something about the phrasing says Kenny Barron to me. I'll say it's this.

Track 11 - Yeah Baby! That's this. Love this guy. My all-time favorite take on this WAY overdone tune. Got to see him live a few years back two nights in a row. Man, this guy is IT! Finally nailed one on this damned test! ;)

Track 12 - I'm a sucker for Rhodes, particularly in this setting. This reminds me of a video I once saw with Michael White, but I have no idea if it's him. It's not Billy Bang or Urbaniak, so it certainly could be him. This is like a big yummy pie of 70s -- tasty! No clue, but I like this a lot.

Track 13 - Nice warm alto sound. Too short! ;) Beautiful.

Again, really enjoyed this BFT, even the stuff I didn't enjoy as much. Thanks!

DrJ -- Thanks for a great BFT!

Just a note, there seems to be some information on each of these tracks, but I'm covering it up while I listen. Got "That Was Close" on the first cut. Otherwise, no peaking.

On the contrary: the track names are meant to be "peaked" at. ;)

Thanks, Dr J! I just listened to it once so far, but will quickly post so I can read the discussion thread as it forms. Most of the tracks weren't to my taste (most of what was recorded after world war 2 isn't...call me picky and old-fashioned), but there were four that stood out in a positive way:

1. I like this a lot. I don't recognise the voice. Old blues style, but recorded in the second half of the 20th century?

9. I could do without the reeds whining in the background. Trumpet is a little too clean for my taste. I like the guitar best. Not wildly interesting, but o.k. reminds me of Keb' Mo'. Good lord, this goes on forever! Cut everyone but the guitar player, and I'd listen to it again with pleasure.

17. Again, don't recognise the voice, but I kinda like it. Like a mellower Ruth Brown.

19. I'm a sucker for boogie woogie, even if it all sounds more or less the same. :) Anyway: I like this. Curious to hear who it is.

BFT72 disc 1

This is a pretty interesting bunch of music. Thanks Doc.

1 Daddy let me lay it on you Georgia White with Les Paul. From That Devilin tune. Ive heard some other stuff of hers, a good bit rougher, that I like a bit better than this. But this is nice all right.

2 Nice bit o hard bop. Sure Ive heard this tenor player, who reminds me of Joe Henderson so much that Ive just got to say it IS Joe. I dont think Ive heard this piece before. Its nice. Must be a Blue Note. Has that right sort of period thing. Pianist? McCoy Tyner? Yes, McCoy. Oh, and a guitarist. I dont recognise the guitarist. Bourelly?

3 Got you under my skin by a thirties guitarist. I want to say Teddy Bunn, but I really dont think it could be him. But the dramatic solo just makes me think of him.

4 Oooh, this is NICE! I get a Roy Ayers type of sound from the vibes players. And a kind of Harold Land feel to the tenor player. Trumpeter sounds like Carmell Jones to me. Some kind of mid-sixties biggish band from the West Coast. But NOT Gerald Wilson, though the solos feel as if they ought to be on a Gerald Wilson album. The arrangement is completely different to his style. Nice bass solo, too. In the tag the tenor player keeps quoting something dreadfully familiar, which might be the title of the tune, but I cant put a name to it.

5 Cant say I like the sound of this band. And the tune is deliberately spiky. Tenor player has a nice sound a bit Booker Ervin-ish but not as Texas as Book. Trumpet player a bit Hubbard-ish. This whole thing doesnt really grab me. This is a quintet! Its the tune and voicing that puts me off this.

6 Can I have a separate link to track 6 of disc 1 please? There was something wrong with the file and I can't get it out of the zip. I can't face another hour and a half trying to download the whole disc.

7 Skylark wonderful intro! Lovely big sound to the trumpet player. But they lose it with the piano/bass duet. The bass clarinet (or bassoon) player should have had a solo there. I love the idea of this cut, but they didnt, quite, make it.

8 Right off my radar this one.

9 Nice blues. Starts like Please send me someone to love. Dont know the trumpeter. Who the hell is that guitarist? Sounds like Paul Gonsalves. Funny sound to the trombonist. I like him a lot. Yes sir! Oh, it must be Al Grey. And maybe the guitarist is Al Cohns son, Joe. Clarinet surely must be Buddy deFranco. I like the tenor player a lot, too, but I dont know who that is. Nice piece, which will grow on me a lot, I suspect. Strong need to know what this one really is.

10 Almost like being in love by a lady singist Ive never heard before. Quite nice, but not really special.

11 Tune up :) From an unpromising start, this turns out to be a bit of an interesting Latin/Afro thing, slightly outside. Not so interesting that its gonna send me out to try to buy it, but its a nice thing to listen to once. Well, the trombonist is rather boring for me. And the pianist. Well, it seems to me these guys are just doing the regular outside thing, but with nice percussion, and no ones got a story to tell.

12 Original ballad played by trumpet and piano. Pleasant but doesnt convey anything.

On to disc 2

MG

BFT72 disc 2

1 Well known bop tune (cant think of the title) by a very ACTIVE and exciting pianist. Is it Cecil Taylor? Hes all over that keyboard! Zowie! Oh, what about Phineas Newborn? One of his characteristic phrases came in during the tune.

2 Another spiky modern piece. Alto player has the facility of Sonny Criss but not his sound. European. Clarke/Boland?

3 I think I recognise the tune, once the solo piano bit is over, but not quite. I can stand a lot of this pianist. I shouldnt be surprised if I havent already got some of his albums. Theres something of a Les McCann feel to the tune, thats why I think I know it. But its not Les. And its not one of his tunes, either. I think Id know this if I had it. Very nice.

4 This is nice, too, but in a MOR sense, it seems. Really nice bass player.

5 Money is honey by Mary Ann McCall, with Dex on tenor. Very nice. Never heard her before. Never even heard of her. Ill have to get some of her stuff, though.

6 Well, this is nice, once they get past the too clever by half bit. No, its a bit too much like jazz for me.

7 Arthur Smiths Guitar boogie? No idea who this is. Very nice, though. Mickey Baker? Ah, there was a sound just at the end I recognised. Lets try that again. Yes, its Billy Butler, away from Bill Doggett.

Edit 19 Feb - Changed my mind about this - I think it's Tiny Grimes.

8 Gone switchoff. No impact whatever on me.

9 This is pretty, but I keep waiting for Illinois Jacquet to come in and blow the others out of the studio. Is it Jack Wilson on piano? Something familiar about the altoist. The first altoist. And the second one sounds like the same man, but only to start off with. I think I prefer him. There are parts of this arrangement that are every bit as punchy as Gerald Wilsons work. But the way the thing hangs together or doesnt really is not his style. And there are bits that are as un-Wilson-like as Ive ever heard. Its more like a Clare Fischer arrangement. Dont know who these guys are, but for me theyre not getting there, quite.

10 Getting sentimental over you and a very nice rendition. Could this be Teddy Wilson? Some bits sound like him, other bits sound too modern. I havent heard anything of Wilsons later than 1940, but I rather suspect Wilsons chops and understanding could carry him over into modern jazz with ease. Except this guy is a bit too forceful. Damn good. Oh, well, Monk?

11 Yesterday. Bloody ell! That is the way to deliver a song! Shoot! Trombonist isnt delivering. Nor is the bass player. Fabulous singer!!!!

12 Love supreme bass vamp, with a feel of Pharoah to it. Is that a cello or viola? The cello/viola is very Coltranesque! This is fascinating! John Hicks on piano? And the drummer is driving them all home! Ah, a cello and a violin. Oh, I REALLY want to find out what this is!

13 Pretty tune played by a pretty-sounding altoist. Art Pepper?

Phew! Some really NICE stuff Doc. Many thanks.

MG

alright - here goes:

Disc 1:

track 1 - no idea who or what tune. not usually my cuppatea but sounds real good. love the guitar - lonnie johnson maybe?

track 2 - i'd guess joe henderson for tenor but couldn't name any one else or the tune. nice enough feel but the track isn't doing much for me. left hand of the piano player is pretty anoying to me during his solo and he's got all the requisite herbie/mccoy/chick influences but not much else. guitarist has nice technique and sound but like the pianist sounds like e's studied plenty (martino) but just isn't doing anything for me. still perfectly good music of course.

also, anyone else think this sounds like henderson during the solo but while he played the head his tone changed to being kinda unlike henderson? interesting.

track 3 - pretty sure this is night and day. feels a bit on the cutesie side but nice. sounds like a classical player who is dabbling in jazz. no idea who really. charlie byrd?

track 4 - sorry for the negativity but this sounds like none of these players wanted to be at this session. also, i personally don't like the bridge of the tune. sounds cheesy and forced to me. they sound tired, unexcited, and frankly bored to be playing music. nice tone on the tenor player but it sounds like he's sleepwalking through the tune. overall a channel changer. no idea who or what.

track 5 - nice group sound on this one and i enjoy the vibe. sounds like these guys hang. and i like the writing. nice fat tone from everyone here and the bass is kinda punchy but still warm and full. don't know the tune or the players but i'm guessing it's from the jeremy pelt, nicholas payton, tim warfield crowd. favorite track so far. it's got energy but coulda used a bit more atitude.

track 6 - very nice. so relaxed. i love the bassist and drummer's vibe. bassist kinda reminded me of scott lafaro. maybe it's him and motian w/ a ianist i haven't checked out much yet? 2nd track in a row i've really liked. something about this makes me think it was recorded in the late 50s/early 60s?

track 7 - skylark. sheesh - i finally knew a tune for sure. beautiful ensemble effort. only guess for players would be harry carney? don't know who these guys are but they're all killing. great take.

track 8 - alrighty then! don't really like the introductory theme, but the blowing is nice. don't know who or what. tenor player is monstrous and the whole band sounds very engaged. i think my favorite member on this cut is the drummer. he's really got that thing where he plays time without really playing time. this sounds closer to present day than, say, the 60s. i'm thinking this was recorded in the 90s?

track 9 - ahhhh... nice. guitar player sounds like someone who listened to t-bone. illinois jacquet toward the end there?

track 10 - loving this straight vocal interpretation. don't know who or what. also dig the band's arrangement. tasty guitar solo.

track 11 - not enjoying this much. though it sounds like it very well may be mccoy now. yeah, i'll guess mccoy in one of his 'bigger band' albums. the guitarist is reminding me of the guy earlier on track #2, but even more martino-like. maybe this really is pat. well - now that i'm through the piano solo i'm retracting my mccoy guess. don't know. anyone else experience some oddly mixed kick drum toward the end there? meh.

track 12 - ahhh... another respite. don't know who or what. nice.

Disc 2:

track 1 - billie's bounce. don't like the "out" harmonization of the melody. feels gimmiky and trite to my ear. that's a mean left hand there though. pretty aggressive playing here. certainly not detecting much in the way of blues though. that's a lotta notes there man. not enjoying. don't now. wouldn't wanna listen to this again.

track 2 - conrad herwig! gotta be, right? he's the man. assuming the alto is snidero. nice track but nothing special... except herwig :D

track 3 - nardis. nice and relaxed solo piano. ah - a vamp to open it up w/ the band. cool. all still rather subdued. i like it. alright, now it's starting to open up a bit, and done. don't know who these guys are, assuming it's the piano player's date. 'tsalright.

track 4 - don't know who or what. kinda cool cross between new agey and pop jazz. guitar playing solos is a bit noodley for me but sounds ok. i love that low indian sounding string instrument that keeps hitting that fundamental. wouldn't seek out this record to buy but cool...

track 5 - like it a lot but don't know the singer. sweets and edison and teddy edwards? great guitar player here too but couldn't guess.

track 6 - this is some sly/clever shit! killer. whoa... no idea who or what. sounds like a really spirited 2nd read-through. there's still that feeling of surprise and freshness in the playing. man the drummer and bassist are really killing it!

track 7 - no guess. maybe duke robillard? eh.

track 8 - well this is quite a nice stately melody. very strong in the pocket bop/hard bop playing. not doing anything for me. no guess.

track 9 - loving this already only 30 seconds into the track. sounds like maria schneider meets blade's fellowship but is probably neither. ok - now we're getting more into the 'big bandy' vibe (maybe it is schneider?). since it reminded me a bit of schneider there a bit, maybe it's kimbrough playing this fine piano solo? very nice sax solo here too. really digging the writing on this tune. whoa! the ending of that sax solo was beautifully put together and probably not so easy to pull off. what is this!?!@#$%^&* ok - these hits during the drum solo: i will most likely be buying this when i find out what it is. fantastic.

track 10 - i'm getting sentimental over you. pretty masterful solo piano work here. nice dropping of some blues in there too. that moment at 5:55 - 6:00 is priceless. the recording sound/playing makes me think this isn't too far back in time. who are the current/recent past solo piano masters that could play something this great? it's not jarrett. it's not mehldau. it's not kevin hays. it's not richie beirach. kenny barron?

track 11 - this is fun! great playing and singing. energy to burn. great. that scat coming out of the bass solo is beautiful. sounds like maybe influenced by hendricks but it's definitely not him. no guess.

track 12 - leroy jenkins? nice electric piano - that lick at 3:42 (and again kinda at 4:59) makes me think of Miles. this drummer reminds me of dejohnette. really like this track. everything about it.

track 13 - you're like a radio program producer w/ your pacing. way cool. no guess on this one but it's a great closer. paul desmond?

thanks DrJ!

Finally found the time to give this music some attention , so here are my initial thoughts...

Disc 1 : Track 1 --

I can't say anything about this one , as 30's blues is not something I listen to . A quick google shows it's Georgia White .

Disc 1 : Track 2 --

Right off the bat this sounds like a Joe Henderson tune...and it's Joe on tenor . This would be Joe from the late 80's-early 90's I'd guess . Joe sounds alright , if a little smoother than I like . Really glassy piano sound typical of the time period . The pianist isn't terribly distinctive . Can't put a name to the guitarist , but I've heard him before . I think I liked the tune more than the playing on this one .

Disc 1 : Track 3 --

Spanish classical guitar style Night And Day . Again , something outside my usual listening . Charlie Byrd , Al Viola , Jack Wilkins ?

Disc 1 : Track 4 --

This isn't sounding too together to me . Band (especially the drummer) seems uncomfortable with the latin rhythm . Trumpet solo meanders . No great shakes .

Disc 1 : Track 5 --

Andrew Hill-ish head....definitely not Andrew at the piano however . Tenor somewhat reminiscent of Bill Barron . Trumpeter has a little Freddie in him . I kind of like this one .

Disc 1 : Track 6 --

Recognize this bop melodic line straight away . Kinda Wallington-like . Frustratingly , I can't come up with the tune title !! The pianist is Evans or someone rooted in Evans like Petrucciani .

Disc 1 : Track 7 --

Very classical-sounding opening to.....Stardust . John Lewis would have liked this unusual approach to this old warhorse , with the baritone in support of the trumpet . Trumpeter has a swing-era feel , with a good tone and lots of power in reserve .

Disc 1 : Track 8 --

Drummer sounds like Max Roach . The sax player doesn't speak to me at all , neither does the pianist nor the trumpeter - this is just not my thing .

Disc 1 : Track 9 --

Ahh , a nice slow blues . Sounds like a Swingville All-Stars date . The trumpet playing is similar to the playing on Track 7 . The power and vibrato bring to mind Charlie Shavers . Really good stuff , with terrific playing by all hands . It held my attention for the full 13 minutes . My favorite track so far .

Disc 1 : Track 10 --

No need for guesses here . Almost Like Being in Love sung by Beverly Kenney with Johnny Smith in support on guitar . Taste in vocalists is such a personal thing , so there's not much to be said .

Disc 1 : Track 11 --

Afro-spiritual 70's jazz of the Strata-East persuasion . This is generally a style I like , even though it can be a little rambling and indulgent at times . Could this be something by Stanley Cowell ?

Disc 1 : Track 12 --

Flugelhorn and piano duet . Art Farmer ? Just the right length for this kind of mood .

Disc 2 : Track 1 --

Billie's Bounce . The solo piano format and the sound quality have me thinking this could be a Maybeck recital . Sounds a little too much like an exercise or a display of left-hand pianistics for my taste .

Disc 2 : Track 2 --

Another Joe Henderson tune here . This time it's Homestretch . Alto player sounds familiar , perhaps a touch of Strozier in his playing . The drumming catches the attention , no doubt a 'name' drummer - Roy Haynes ? Not a bad version .

Disc 2 : Track 3 --

Nardis of course . The piano player in his phrasing during the improvised portion reminds me of Ray Bryant . I like it .

Disc 2 : Track 4 --

Is that a sitar behind the guitar ? Is this George Benson from a CTI date ? I like this .

Disc 2 : Track 5 --

40's (white) big band singer . Quick google shows it's Mary Ann McCall . Not my bag .

Disc 2 : Track 6 --

No need for guesses here . This is Kenny Dorham with Toshiko Akiyoshi recorded live at the Top Of The Gate in 1968 . Lew Tabackin on tenor . The tune is Opus No. Zero . Real shame KD didn't record more in the late Sixties .

Disc 2 : Track 7 --

Old time guitar boogie , not something I'm familiar with . Not much to say .

Disc 2 : Track 8 --

Again , no need for guesses . This is Howard McGhee's The Connection with Tina Brooks . The song is Music Forever . Not essential by any means , but enjoyable all the same .

Disc 2 : Track 9 --

Bland , generic , contemporary sound with faceless young lions doing their thing . Overlong . Wouldn't be surprised if it was Maria Schneider's band .

Disc 2 : Track 10 --

I'm Getting Cement All Over You :P . This too sounds like a Maybeck recital . Some stride touches here and there . I don't know who this is , but Kenny Barron is always a good guess . I'm somewhat indifferent .

Disc 2 : Track 11 --

Yodeling....Leon Thomas ? No . This is not someone who sings regularly right ? Is the trombonist the vocalist as well ? This version of Yesterdays isn't doing much for me .

Disc 2 : Track 12 --

No guesses needed . This is the Fourth Way from their album The Sun And Moon Have Come Together . The tune is Strange Love . I have all of this group's albums , plus the one Mike Nock did for MPS without Michael White . Obviously , I like this music a lot . Several of White's Impulse albums are worth checking out too , though only one has made it to CD .

Disc 2 : Track 13 --

Evans-like piano intro , then an airy-toned alto that recalls McKusick and Konitz . I like this , and am curious to find out what this is .

I listened to this BFT for the first time last night and got a lot of enjoyment out of it, except.....

WHAT IS that composition on Disc One, Track 8? I have it in my collection. I have played it hundreds of times. I may have a version of the composition played by different musicians, but I know it well. But I can't remember the name of the composition, who composed it or who played on it, in the version in my collection. I am going slowly mad, trying to remember the name of this song!

DISC ONE

Track 1: Well, as someone who has put music of a tenuous connection to jazz on his past BFTs and is contemplating the same for my BFT next month, I really have no room to question anyone else’s choice. That said, what the hell is this???? Did I upload/download the right thing? :D

Track 2: NOW we’re talkin’! Has that great 60’s Miles Quintet vibe that I dig so much! I wanna say this is something from the Bobby Hutcherson Mosaic Select. No, I take that back: that tenor trill is unmistakably Joe Henderson. Sounds too recent to be a Milestone thing, so maybe something from his Verve years?

Track 3: A very nice “Night and Day!” Oh, who was that guy who did the soundtrack for the Sean Penn movie loosely based on Django? Yeah, that guy. That’s who it is!

Track 4: Groovy little samba! Man, I am enjoying this with each passing track! No clue on the players, but I’m gonna kick myself once I find out who the trumpet player is. I *know* I’ve heard this before! What the heck is that brass combo of Dixieland and samba towards the end???

Track 5: This may be even closer to that Miles groove than track 3. Heck, even the drummer sounds like Tony Williams! Wouldn’t that be something if it is? Trumpeter, if it isn’t Freddie Hubbard, sure wants to sound like him.

Track 6: Bill Evans, or a reasonable facsimile! Very nice, nonetheless. When I think of terrific piano trio jazz, it sounds something like this!

Track 7: Got off to an auspicious enough start, with that lone trumpet note being reminiscent of the opening to Artie Shaw’s version of “Star Dust.” Didn’t think the tempo would ever get above a rubato but then it started a very leisurely pace. Very nicely done. Maybe it is “Star Dust” after all!

Track 8: This is my LEAST favorite.... no, I can’t even give it a favorite tag: tracks that start off with everyone blowing their brains out as loudly and incoherently for as long as they can. I just wanna scream “GET ON WITH IT, ALREADY!!!!” Okay, now that I’ve had my little rant, and now that they’ve finally gotten on with it, I.... I..... ay-yai-yai-yaiieeee. All they did was add a beat. Kinda. Sorta. NEXT!!!

Track 9: Okay, terra firma reached. Ooooooooh, I like those Ellington-type orchestral voicings! Dang, that even sounds like Clark Terry! Has a similar late-night feel as track 7. I love a slow groove like this. Nobody overplays it, yet no one allows themselves to be dragged down by it, too. OH wow! That sounds like Ben Webster!!! Oh I can tell I’ll be looking for this one soon! Favorite track so far!!!

Track 10: Oh fercryinoutloud! This one should be so easy to identify and yet..... {{{sigh}}} Once again exposed for the know-nothing about the music I love. Aw heck: late Ella? Something from her Pablo years? Joe Pass on the guitar? Here, care for some straws I’m grabbing at?

Track 11: The beginning almost got me jumping & shouting like track 8, but then came that irresistible infectious samba/calypso/whatever that just makes me bounce with joy! Fifteen minutes of this stuff? I hope it’s as promising as its beginning would have me believe! (ten minutes later) {{{mega-sigh}}} I’m guessing the piano player was the leader on this date, as it’s the only reason I can come up with that would explain why nobody in the studio that day told him/her to stop with the piano-pounding: who else would’ve thought it would be a good idea to let him/her noodle incoherently and cacophonically for the last 4,000 hours.....

Track 12: Very nice! Dare I say: Wynton and father in that lovely duet album that came out as I first getting into jazz. I need to revisit that again.

Nice way to close disc 1! Now on to disc 2 and reading disc 1 comments! So far so good, DrJ! :tup

DISC TWO

Track 1: Somewhere, Oscar Peterson and Art Tatum are smiling. Or, in the context of the name of the song, “bouncing!”

Tracks 2 and 3 are nice, but nothing that really grabbed my attention.

Track 4: WHOA! Give me a groove like this ANY day of the week! YOW! Love that guitar sound! Peter Leitch? I *MUST* find out where this comes from! Oh this groove could last the entire rest of this BFT and it would become my favorite BFT in a heartbeat!!!! No, not Leitch. Maybe Russell Malone? I’d even go so far as to say Pat Martino or even George Benson, if I thought Benson was still capable of something like this.

Track 5: Pleasant enough. Again, nothing too memorable. But I’ll take this over disc one track 8 any day of the week! :D

Track 6: At first, I thought it was a Blue Mitchell Riverside date, but now I’m convinced it’s Miles. But the focus seems to be more on the piano player! And that drummer! Wait... is this one of those tracks that Miles & Gil did in the 60’s (with Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams) that never saw the light of day until the Miles/Gil box came out? But that doesn’t sound at all like Herbie on the piano. This one’s gonna be interesting to find out!

Track 7: Nice bluesy guitar, I guess. Eh....

Track 8: Oh, fercryinoutloud! I’ve heard this one, too! Drat! Drat! Drat! Gonna kick myself for not knowing this one, too!

Track 9: Sounds like they tried to take four or five different unfinished ideas and cram them into one song. Good on them for not making the mistake of trying to stretch out those unfinished ideas into a whole record. Then it’d be just another BS&T album. This still doesn’t do too much for me.

Track 10: Okay, I guess. I’m sorry to say that this disc is being uneventful for me.

Track 11: Once that guy started yodeling, I stopped caring about the rest of this track! Yeesh!!!!

Track 12: Sounds like a Bill Frisell thing. I love electric piano, especially when it’s all reverb-y like this! A violin? So far, I’m really digging the combination of the sounds. (five minutes later) Okay, the screeching coulda stopped a LONG time ago! Do these people not have internal edit buttons? Ow, OW, that’s painful! NEXT!!!!

Track 13: MMMMMmmmmmmm!!!!! Another nice closer! Transferred beautifully from vinyl! Gotta love it! Maybe a Konitz Verve thing?

Well, once again I’ve shown just what a boring conservative jazz dilettante I truly am. Challenge me and I turn into one of those old curmudgeons who says “You kids! Get offa my lawn and quit makin’ that awful racket!” :g But this disc would’ve been worth the admission price for track 4 ALONE, and for that, I thank you profusely!

Now let’s see what everyone else has to say about disc 2!

Nardis of course . The piano player in his phrasing during the improvised portion reminds me of Ray Bryant . I like it .

After another listen , there's no doubt about it , this is Ray Bryant . This is the trio Ray had with Rufus Reid and Freddie Waits in the late 80s .

I think that Disc One, Track 8 is from Billy Hart's "Enchance" album, on A&M Horizon, 1977. The track is the second song on Side 2 of the vinyl album, entitled "Pharaoh" by Don Pullen.

The musicians are: Hannibal Marvin Peterson-trumpet; Oliver Lake-alto saxophone, Dewey Redman-tenor saxophone, Don Pullen-piano, Dave Holland-bass, Billy Hart-drums.

This album was a real favorite of mine in my first burst of jazz enthusiasm, and was played constantly when it was first released, in the college apartment where I lived with two other jazz fanatics.

enchance.jpg

Edited by Hot Ptah

After another listen , there's no doubt about it , this is Ray Bryant . This is the trio Ray had with Rufus Reid and Freddie Waits in the late 80s .

Ah, I thought he was very familiar. Haven't got anything of his from this period, however.

MG

• 2 weeks later...