Charlie Parker Sculpture Rediscovered

BillF

A photo of the sculpture appears on page 140 of Robert Reisner's "Bird: the Legend of Charlie Parker." You can view it from Google Books. I haven't been able to figure out a way to post links or images from Google Books.

Here's a long url which might work. No guarantees:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qwX3f_CC2SUC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=%22Charlie+Parker%22,+sculpture,+%22Julie+Macdonald%22,+-uncanny&source=bl&ots=HkHOacT4Sc&sig=1XojGWhDtEt3ttzELPQaw8qMF3w&hl=en&ei=B-OnS7y2F8GclgeAxojDDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Guest Bill Barton

A photo of the sculpture appears on page 140 of Robert Reisner's "Bird: the Legend of Charlie Parker." You can view it from Google Books. I haven't been able to figure out a way to post links or images from Google Books.

Here's a long url which might work. No guarantees:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qwX3f_CC2SUC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=%22Charlie+Parker%22,+sculpture,+%22Julie+Macdonald%22,+-uncanny&source=bl&ots=HkHOacT4Sc&sig=1XojGWhDtEt3ttzELPQaw8qMF3w&hl=en&ei=B-OnS7y2F8GclgeAxojDDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Link worked fine for me. Hmmmm... Can't say that I'm knocked out by the sculpture but it's interesting. Thanks.

From the article "Macdonald's stone head was sold to one of the world's leading experts on Parker memorabilia" This expert was Norman Saks; he once told me that he had acquired it, which I found interesting, given the bust's photograph from the Reisner book. I guess he didn't keep it. Neat story, but the bust is not as well traveled as the Maltese Falcon, not the stuff that dreams are made of.