We had to put our 18 year old cat down

Berigan, this sounds like what happened to our cat Orange earlier this year. He was about 15 and it was very hard for him to go to the bathroom and it was a tough decision. I had sworn years ago that if they didn't put humans down, what gave me the right to make that decision. When Orange had trouble going, he wasn't in a lot of pain, but it just got worse and one day when he screamed in pain, my wife and I decided that why suffer more. He wasn't enjoying life. He couldn't go out anymore which he used to love to do. If it's not fun, why bother. When I took him to the vets and they asked if I wanted to be with him, I said I just wanted to remember him the way he was. I recently found a picture of him when he was himself. I had it blown up and framed and gave it to my wife for Christmas. She loved it. We have two more cats now, Scarr and James, both previously abandoned, and while they're both great with their own personality, there'll one be one Orange. My condolences (and I got misty eyed when I read your story). 2004 will be better.

So I talked to the vet, and they had 2 types of cremation. One, for 25 bucks gets the animal cremated with a bunch of other cats/dogs...

This sounds like a viable option for me. I can certainly spare that kind of coin. Sure beats "Operation: Dumpster," which had evilly entered my brain. ;)

Of course, if that hungry snake down in Indonesia has necrophilic tastes buds... ;)