41QQZ3G93ML._SS500_.jpg

While I was in New York, I found a copy of this in Barnes & Noble. I didn’t know Preston had written an autobiography and was delighted to find it. I was even more delighted to read it. Preston writes clearly and well and deals with the nuts and bolts of a musician’s life in more detail than I’ve ever seen in any autobiography before.

The book was published in 1997 by Wesleyan University Press.

If Preston’s name is unfamiliar, it’s not altogether surprising. He worked in the Territory bands in the early forties, then with Count Basie and Lucky Millinder from 1943-1948. He led his own big band (12 pieces, I think, though I didn’t count) through the fifties, playing mainly at military bases throughout the US, based on Omaha, his home town. In the sixties, he moved to LA and became the main contractor for Motown, organising backing bands for Motown artists appearing on the west coast. He then returned to Omaha and worked locally, and taught music. Never a great soloist, he idolised Earle Warren and concentrated on playing lead alto.

My only complaint (and not much of one, really) is that in the last chapter, “Perspectives”, he comes on like a (more experienced) Wynton Marsalis.

MG

I read the book and gave it to a friend after I finished reading it because I knew I wouldn't want to read it again. I enjoyed the first half to 2/3rds of the book primarily because, as MG has noted, Mr. Love tells a lot of great stories and it does give a lot of insight into what goes into being a working musician.

As the book went on though, Preston's bitterness in his later life and his personal agendas spoiled the feeling of the book for me. Basically, I felt that Mr. Love became bitter, angry and opinionated as he became more financially successful, and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps I should have relished the first half of the book and let the last part go, but I wasn't able to do that.

Incidentally, my friend felt pretty much the same as I did when he read it.

Edited by paul secor

"Never a great soloist, he idolised Earle Warren"

let me just add that Earle was actually a terrific alto soloist - I heard him on many occasions in NYC in the late 1970s and felt he was far superior as a jazz player to Benny Carter - more kick. Unfortunately I've never heard a recording that does him justice.

I felt that Mr. Love became bitter, angry and opinionated as he became more financially successful, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mr. Love is far from alone in becoming disillusioned as the inner workings of "the business" reveal themselves in increasingly greater detail.

You think the taste left in your mouth was bad?

Trust me on this one.

I felt that Mr. Love became bitter, angry and opinionated as he became more financially successful, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mr. Love is far from alone in becoming disillusioned as the inner workings of "the business" reveal themselves in increasingly greater detail.

You think the taste left in your mouth was bad?

Trust me on this one.

Yeah "the biz" obviously left a bad taste in his mouth also. I just got tired of reading his complaints.

I read this book a number of years ago, part of my on-going fascination with KC, OKC and Central Ave cats. You failed to mention Preston was close with Johnny Otis, even writing the forward to one of his books, which is an interesting read in itself.

Johnny Otis' first book "Listen To The Lambs," which addressed the 1965 race riots was published in 1968. His next book, "Upside Your Head! Rhythm & Blues on Central Avenue" was published in 1993. This is the book that Prestin Love wrote the forward. The first one is long out of print so I haven't read it.

There is a new book:

"Midnight at the Barrelhouse" -- The life and music of Johnny Otis, which I just got in the mail.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0816666784/bookforum-20

Edited by RJ Spangler

yes, the more financially successful I become in the music business, the angrier I get -

I mean, I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy! I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!I am not worthy!

I don't know about all that, but...somebody in Love's position, a "insider", somebody who handles the music end of "show" business, soon gets to see how the intersection of "talent" & "stardom" is at best a sometimes thing. Cats like him are repeatedly called upon to provide "quality surroundings" for situations that range from truly fine to truly abysmal - and they're asked to do it in such a way that none but the very most discerning can tell the difference - all at one flat rate that is nowhere near what the "stars'" (or more accurately, the stars' "operations") pull in. You also get to see the often-total arbitrariness of who "gets the nod" for moving up and who doesn't, how it's more often than not a matter of whim and personal favor as it is a belief in the talent.

It's not really all that much different than the rest of life's businesses, but there is (or was) so much more money floating around, that the raw impulses come out to play so much easier than they do in the "real world"...yeah, it can eat at your spirit, especially if you're predisposed towards idealism & personal responsibility.

• 1 month later...

I spent quite a few years in his hometown and having read his semi-regular newspaper column, Love Notes, I can understand Paul's reaction to some of the same stuff I presume is in the book. He became rather bitter. An interesting psychology emerged when reading many of the columns, I found.

I once saw him performing in the middle of the day in the law school cafeteria at Creighton University with practically no one listening. But it's a sad anecdote, and I don't want to come across as saying anything unflattering here about someone people here respect. I can certainly empathize with some of his feelings based on what I know of the business.