Lost, the final Season

I think I'm lost.

:)

This season there actually have been answers (eventually) and . . . more qustions.

What's up with the kid some can see?

Is this whole sideways things just a way to pad the season, giving the watcher an interesting substitute for the "flashbacks" of the past season? It's so damned "pat."

Why is Jack becoming Locke? Why is Hurley becoming Jack?

Why did they blow up Ilana? :(

Why is Kate now a sort of second-class Lost citizen?

Still, I'm enjoying it. This season I've had the pleasure of sharing the viewing with three close friends, Shawn and Dave and David. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Anyone have any earth-shattering theories or gnawing irritations to share?

To be honest, as the series progressed I lost more and more of a sense that they were making it up as they went along and gained more of a feeling that they had a template they were following.

Just over three weeks til it's OVER. I'll be there til the end.

Edited by jazzbo

To be honest, as the series progressed I lost more and more of a sense that they were making it up as they went along and gained more of a feeling that they had a template they were following.

Just over three weeks til it's OVER. I'll be there til the end.

Same here.

Don't know the answers to the questions you've posed other than a suspicion that "the kid" is another form of Jacob.

One good thing about the sideways thing is that llana is still around.

I'm not sure anyone is going to take you up on that request. . . ;)

Yes, when the kid seemed to age and look even more like a Jacob mini-me, I had this idea that Smokey had only a limited time to make his move, and the kid was sort of a stopwatch alarm clock. But then why would any candidates be needed and hence why all that transpired even before Smokey became FLocke. Ah well, it's really entertaining.

I've watched it since the first episode but that doesn't mean I've been able to make sense of it in total as the writers have seemingly deliberately made it obscure, meandering, contradictory and plain hard to follow.

Several times after yet another trek through the jungle I've been on the verge of giving up, but feel that I've invested so much time that I must see how it ends. The final season has been very poor imo, raising more and more unanswerable questions and taking us deeper into the rabbit hole than ever.

I'll reserve judgement but would just add that it's cardinal sin is running way too long. It should have been tied up after four seasons.

Six Feet Under is how to end a series but that's a vain hope for Lost.

Edited by kinuta

Can't deny that the program is entertaining, but each season they've added another level of bewilderment, culminating in this "sideways" business which has crossed the line for me. I just don't see how they can tie it all up in a few weeks, and I suspect that they will just leave us hanging with some cosmic bullshit of some sort. As much as I enjoyed Abrams' "Star Trek", it was seriously compromised with the rather lame time travel element just to shoehorn Spock/Nimoy into the film, and I fear that the loose ends at the end of "Lost" will be dealt with as cavalierly as they were in "Star Trek". As a long time sci-fi fan, it seems to me that the old values of storytelling are being cast aside.

The old curmudgeon has spoken. :angry:

I admire your sustained enthusiasm. For me the show really jumped off the rails when they failed to offer any explanation to the nuclear explosion, just left it hanging, as if to say we are a law unto ourselves and do not have to follow any kind of rational narrative progression, we'll just add some time jumps , smoke and mirrors. I'll bet it ends in a ''twas all a dream' type cop out.

The producers have said it's not going to end as a dream, as they're trapped in hell, etc. I think there's going to be a more original answer than that I may be wrong.

I confess that I enjoy the non-traditional story-telling and that that was my initial draw to the show. There's no dearth of plain old shows giving you logical narrative structure. This one intrigued with its differences and I admit to remaining intrigued. It's even influenced how I tell my own stories, perhaps to the chagrin of a few listeners. :) Anyway, they still have me. I know it's a TV show, I know it's intentionally confusing, and I find myself happily along for the ride to the end.

The Blu-Rays for the show started appearing when I was retired and so I had time to revel in them. The Blu-Rays are gorgeous and being able to watch a few episodes back to back has been a decided joy for me. I still think this is innovative TV, a fusion that rises above some of the elements in th mix.

I've only watched the show in passing, and probably haven't seen an episode for a year or more, so I don't really know wtf is going on (not that would if had been watching) but ... The assumption is that characters are prisoners of some kind, right? Most of the theories about what's going on in the show assume that, right?

An insane asylum, part of some government experiment, etc.

I confess that I enjoy the non-traditional story-telling and that that was my initial draw to the show. There's no dearth of plain old shows giving you logical narrative structure. This one intrigued with its differences and I admit to remaining intrigued. It's even influenced how I tell my own stories, perhaps to the chagrin of a few listeners. :) Anyway, they still have me. I know it's a TV show, I know it's intentionally confusing, and I find myself happily along for the ride to the end.

Agree 100%

There is no possible way that they can answer all of the questions that I have in three episodes. Still, as long as they resolve the over-arching plot that they have finally returned to, I am satisfied.

I suppose not fully explaining EVERYTHING is what truly captures the imagination of fans.

Well, I count two single episodes and a double episode. . . does that help? :)

There's a book coming out after the end of the series that is supposed to be a depository for questions and answers not covered.

I'm enjoying being confused...of course I've watched the entire series in the past year (never watched it on TV till this season) so I haven't had to deal with all the long waits between seasons.

I don't really like watching TV shows, haven't for years...but LOST changed my mind about that. It offered a very unique vibe that appealed to me right away. Been fun trying to navigate all the red herrings. I just enjoy the ride.

I've only watched the show in passing, and probably haven't seen an episode for a year or more, so I don't really know wtf is going on (not that would if had been watching) but ... The assumption is that characters are prisoners of some kind, right? Most of the theories about what's going on in the show assume that, right?

An insane asylum, part of some government experiment, etc.

Wellll....I would be really disappointed in the writers if it went like that.