Clayton-Hamilton Big Band

DrJ

And I been snoozin', apparently, since I've never even heard of 'em until now. Although I am quite familiar with many of the members (Rickey Woodard I've always felt was an underrated tenor player, so glad to see him there, and of course there's Snooky Young).

So what's the verdict? Very favorable reviews of their recordings in All Music Guide. Are they worth it? Where to start if so?

I enjoy the Clayton-Hamilton band a great deal. John Clayton's charts, while not breaking any new ground, nonetheless swing hard and sound great. You can't go wrong w/Hamilton playing drums, that's for sure. I got to sit next to Jeff when he played with Woody's band in the eighties(in the big band bone section I sat next to the drummer), and it was pure pleasure. One of my favorite big band drummers.

The personnel is the cream of the LA crop. Good soloists, great recording quality.

Did you know that John Clayton did the arrangement of the National Anthem that Whitney Houston sang at the Desert Storm-era Super Bowl? Cha-ching!

I love this band. They were the resident Hollywood Bowl band with John CLayton ad Bowl music director for jazz for a couple of years and did some outstanding concerts until the powers-that-be decided to change. They put Dianne Reeves in and last summer's season stunk.

The band has a definite Basie feel but is much more adventurous than, say Juggernaut, band the arrangements, mainly by John,and by several others are a helluyva lot more interesting than Bob Florence's.

And IMHO, there's not a better drummer anywhere than Jeff Hamilton.

Is Hamilton the drummer in the Diana Krall DVD, the live one from Paris that has some small group only stuff and some with the orchestral arrangements? Memory seems to say that this is so, and if it is, he's pretty damn talented.

Yes, that's Jeff. He's equally at home in a trio or a big band, which is a tribute to his high level of musicianship.