A Question: can anyone look this up?

AllenLowe

many years ago, when I lived in NYC in the 1970s, I made the aquaintance of a wonderful man, musician and poet, that we called Professor Sneed. His name was actually Edward Sneed, He had played bass with Billie Holiday and Charlie Parker in the '50s, wrote beautiful poetry, and was co-writer of Bald Headed Lena (recorded by the Lovin' Spoonful) with Piano Red.

I am trying to find a citation from some broadcast he was on with Holiday - I know it exists, because I saw said citation many years ago, but cannot located it anywhere, including the internet. Does anyone have a discography they can search by musician name? Also, I cannot remember his first name, nor whether his last name is spelled SNEED or SNEAD (I have found it both ways).

thanks -

Edited by AllenLowe

Allen

There's an "Ed Sneed" on bass in 3 Savoy sessions (Wilbur Harrison, Annie Laurie, Big Maybelle), all from 1956. He also recorded with Jimmie Lunceford's orchestra in the late 40s (after JL's death, I think).

He also appears (I guess it's the same person) as Edward Snead with reedman Ben Smith in the late 40s.

No recordings with Billie Holiday in my copy of Bruyninckx, though.

Hope this helps.

Fernando

Allen:

Good news, bad news. There is an Edward Sneed (bass) listed in the index of the later Bruyninckx vocalist discography. There are two entries. The first is a 7/20/56 date with Big Maybelle. The second is on page 786 in volume 2 (Du-Le). However, my volume 2 isn't where it should be. I must have had it out for something and neglected to return it. I'll check the record room when this call ends.

Just saw the post from Fer Urbina that has come in in the interim. My guess is that the other entry is Annie Laurie. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

many years ago, when I lived in NYC in the 1970s, I made the aquaintance of a wonderful man, musician and poet, that we called Professor Sneed. His name was actually Edward Sneed, He had played bass with Billie Holiday and Charlie Parker in the '50s, wrote beautiful poetry, and was co-writer of Bald Headed Lena (recorded by the Lovin' Spoonful) with Piano Red.

I am trying to find a citation from some broadcast he was on with Holiday - I know it exists, because I saw said citation many years ago, but cannot located it anywhere, including the internet. Does anyone have a discography they can search by musician name? Also, I cannot remember his first name, nor whether his last name is spelled SNEED or SNEAD (I have found it both ways).

thanks -

Found it. Just to close the loop, the other entry was for Annie Laurie.

thanks -

thanks guys - the Holiday broadcast may just be too obscure, and I cannot remember where I saw it (though I think it was re: a performance in Washington DC) -

Sneed was an amazing guy, and I'm sorry I lost touch with him, though I assume he's dead. I always wondered what happened to his personal effects, notebooks, etc, as he was a terrific and very lyrical poet. I just lost touch with him. I may call the Schomburg library in NYC to see if they have any trace of his work.

The Tom Lord jazz discography shows Ed Sneed recording on bass with Lunceford in 1948-1949, Ben Smith in 1949-1950, and then R&B recordings with Wilbert Harrison, Big Maybelle, and Annie Laurie in 1956.

Most likely, the broadcast with Holiday, if it exists, has never been released commercially.