Sonny Rollins Jim Hall Reunion June 12, 2010

Jim Hall's playing the night before so he's in the area. I imagine "sitting in" means he'll come out and sit in the guitar chair for a song or two.

I wish I could be there but I have a house full of family members for my youngest daughter's high school graduation party. I don't know whether to post a :) or a :(. I should be happy, but I'm feeling old.

Kevin

I saw Jim Hall guest with Sonny Rollins at Carnegie Hall back in '91. They played "The Bridge" among other tunes from their early '60s repertoire. It was great to see them together again back then after so many years, but I felt there definitely was a drop in intensity compared with those Victor recordings. Now, 19 years later, one hopes that this reunion will somehow spark a creative resurgence.

Report from the concert.

Guitarist Russell Malone is now playing with Sonny. Here are his thoughts on the

Discover Jazz gig in Burlington, Vermont where Jim Hall sat in:

"The gig was a lot of fun. Sonny was in a good mood, laughing and talking with some of the band members just before we hit the stage. One of the the things he talked about was the importance of exercise, a sensible diet, and drinking plenty of water. He said that these were some of the things that have helped him to stay around for almost eighty years. And we are very blessed to still have him here with us. When he starts to play, you can see him transform into something else. I don't know what, but it is as if something takes possession of him. It's beautiful and scary, all at once. And last night was no exception. He played beautifully, and he was very encouraging and inspiring to the band. Then, towards the end of the show, he invited Jim Hall to the stage. To see Sonny, Jim, and Bob Cranshaw on the same stage was surreal. That one still hasn't sunk in yet. All in all, it was a great night of music."