Ed Kirkeby first meeting with Fats Waller

Durium

ED KIRKEBY

kirkeby2.jpg

Photo: Institute of Jazz Studies Rutgers University Libraries

Most people will remember Ed Kirkeby as the manager of Fats Waller - in 1966 his memoires about that bustling period in his career, were published as Ain't Misbehavin' - The Story of Fats Waller. It was one of the first jazz books I ever bought, as I collected Fats Waller's records during the 1970s and Ed Kirkeby's book contained a discography. Ed Kirkeby became Fats' manager in 1938, but met him for the first time in the Camden studios on the 24th of June, 1935, now 75-years ago being responsable for the recording session scheduled on that day.

waller35.jpg

One of their first conversations has been survived: Is that you're last glass? No it's my first bottle.

waller-livin-in-great-big-2.jpgHooray for Love (1935)

Ed Kirkeby's first meeting with Fats Waller - 75 years ago

Durium

I met Ed Kirkeby fifty years ago, when he often held court on the sidewalk in front of the Brill Building. He was quite the character and he had retained the look of an earlier time, including a waxed mustache and spats. Here he is with Louis at WNEW's Second Annual Swing Festival, December 22, 1943. The broadcast was a tribute to Fats Waller, who had passed away 8 days earlier.

EdKirkebyandLouisAatWNEW2ndAnnualSw.jpg

That's interesting. Ed Kirkeby's book was also one of the first books I ever read about jazz, and my first jazz biography. I did a term paper on Fats in high school that used it. We won't talk about how long ago THAT was. Love the photo, Chris!

gregmo

ED KIRKEBY - crooner and manager in the 1929s

university+six.jpg

Although Ed KIrkeby is remembered as the manager of Fats Waller, he also was a gifted vocalist or crooner if you like. During the 1920s his voice is to be heard on numerous dance band recordings of bands with imaginative names, like the University Six, the Goofus Five or the Varsity Eight - in fact all the same group of people: Swindle or marketing? Fact is that Ed Kirkeby was one of them using several pseudonyms as a crooner.

Ed Kirkeby in the Roaring Twenties

Durium