Jump to content

gmonahan

Members
  • Posts

    3,210
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by gmonahan

  1. That cover definitely belongs in the old "covers that make you say...uhhh" thread!
  2. I had forgotten they both play clarinet on one track. That was cool.
  3. This looks like fun! One question--if you go solo, do they charge you double for a stateroom? That's often been the case on other cruises I've taken, and for those of us doing that, it makes it kind-a-spendy.
  4. I sometimes think we should just rename this one the "Sangrey Thread"!
  5. Three cds on Classics gathered all of Moten's 20s recordings. Not a box set, but they do have them all...if you can find them.....
  6. Reached back a bit for some classic piano
  7. Me neither! I do remember walking into Tower Records in Kyoto and thinking that here was yet *another* reason to love that wonderful country!
  8. Others have already offered the essentials, but I might add this one.
  9. The largest Tower Records in Japan is the Shibuya location in Tokyo. Bless the Japanese--they do still love physical media!
  10. I'm VERY jealous! Would have loved to see him live!
  11. Mike!! That's the best part of that set!! (though honesty does require that I admit I worship at Big T's shrine!)
  12. I also like Hutchfan's response. Definitely sounded like Miles! But I think others have a good point that artists often settled on a comfortable setlist and didn't vary it much. I know that was the case with Sinatra. Even though he claimed to love "saloon songs," he mostly just sang two in concert ("One for My Baby" and "Angel Eyes") as time went on. He recorded a lovely version of "Drinking Again" but never to my knowledge sang it live. Nor the title cut from "Only the Lonely."
  13. They don't go up on my shelf until I've listened to every track, but then, I'm retired, and I have the time to listen to them as soon as they grace my front porch.
  14. Preordered, of course. I'll be interested to hear how it sounds compared especially to the 3-cd Henderson set I already have.
  15. Fun stuff on this one. Eldridge really enjoys himself, and any bit of Fats Navarro is always worth a listen.
  16. He was just an entertainment personality when I was young. I think I first realized there was something else when I picked up (probably in a bargain bin) the old "Hello Dolly" LP on Kapp and listened to his version of "Moon River." The soul of that struck me--and I was still in my teens. After that, another LP here and there and now, here I am with shelves bulging with glorious music from the beginning of his spectacular career to the end! Yes, there's been some junk now and then over the years, but even the Disney record is pretty good! I'll take his marvelous music every which way.
  17. I still love the quote from Zoot Sims about Benny. It may be from Crow's Jazz Anecdotes. Asked what it was like playing with Goodman in Russia, Zoot said (and I paraphrase a little here), "every gig with Benny is like playing in Russia."
  18. Jim, sorry to be so long in answering. I've been away a while. It's on "Wax Train Records," whatever that is, but the sound is on par with the original LPs that I used to have. Listening to some classic Pepper
  19. Be still my heart! I agree with John that we need it all, but just having the damn Okeh material all together in best available sound would be wonderful. This is all great news for those of us who cherish the beginning of the music!
×
×
  • Create New...